RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 31-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
jekka

I am currently:
potential respite care

Hi, I live in the southern hemisphere so my University does not start up for the year until the 5th of March. The time over Christmas/Summer Holidays is often a hard time for me. I live with my parents and my mother has a medical condition made worse by stress. I am currently doing some volunteer work to keep me busy but my mood is slipping and I am pretty miserable at times and melancholy at best. My parents know that things are getting worse for me. Today my father asked me if I wanted to go into respite care and mentioned that I should contact my care team at our local psychiatric service. This is making me feel incredibly stressed and worried. I am worried that I am making my mother worse and I am worried that if I speak to my care team they might hospitalise me. I have an intense fear of hospitalisaton and am debating what to do. A part of me knows I am being irrational but I am still very anxious and sleep will be quite hard to get tonight. I am also worried that I will get much much worse and have to drop out of university and I love being at university. So I am a bundle of anxiety. Any Advice?

jekka is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 04-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
HopeRises

Sorry you haven't had a reply to this earlier. I just wondered how things are now and wether you managed to talk to your care team?

I think hospitalisation is usually a last resort if you are really unsafe. I know here in the UK it is anyway and if they can treat you in the community they will.

I understand about worrying though and worrying if you are making your mum feel more stressed. I'm similar, I try not to tell my mum anything because I know she is so worried and stressed about other things but at the same time, she is your mum and that's kind of what mums are for, to look after there children ( even adult ones).

I think ,if you haven't managed to reach out yet, maybe it is worth it. Also can you access uni services during summer? My uni here close for a few days/a week or so over summer but again, I'm I need the uk so unsure of your situation. I understand loving uni and being worried of getting more unwell and having to drop out but if you manage to get the right support now then hopefully that's unlikely to happen and also with the drive and determination you have about being in uni it's even more unlikely I think.

I hope you manage to reach out and start to feel a bit more in control and a bit better soon.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)