RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
shredded_angel
Pretty.As.A.Car.Crash

I am currently:
I give in...

This is the um-teenth day since the new year began that I am too poor to afford food.
Between rent, car insurance and payments, bills, gas, and way overdue hospital bills, I have almost no money left.

$220 for rent (it's actually $880, but I live with 3 other people)
$40 for bills
$280 for car insurance and payments
$80 in gas
and I owe at least $2500 in hospital bills.

Lookie lookie... only $210 a paycheck?
Wonderful.
That's roughly $840 a month...
Expenses add up to...
Screw it. Number make me sad...

I don't know what to do anymore. I can't go anywhere better. I just have to suck it up and keep going. I'm more than broke. I owe my bank money. Not much. But, it's just sad to see your account balance in parenthesis.

At least my cat eats every day. She eats well. I take better care of her than I do myself.

I've got $23, and I'm wondering if I should put it in my gas tank. I can either walk 5 miles to and from work each day and eat, or go hungry and be able to drive and make it easier.

I've got no education. I've had my hours cut at work because of the U.S. economy. There's no way I can get fulltime in the company. There's no fulltime jobs anywhere where I live. We've got a higher demand for jobs than we even have jobs. I should be thankful I even have a job.

I don't know why I'm posting.
I'm sorry everyone.

I just need...
Someone...
Someone to say things'll be better later. It's hard now, but things will get better.

But, will it?
I don't know.

Please...
Someone just... tell me it'll all be better.

I'm sorry...

"I hope it stays dark forever; I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do; Yeah I hope I never get sober
And I hope when you think of me years down the line; You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out; You'd stay the hell out of my way"
~No Children (The Mountain Goats)

shredded_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
shieldworld
Kat

I am currently:

It will get better. They're saying 'this is the worst recession in 20 years'
But the fact that 20 years ago there was a recession and the world recovered from it shows that this generation can recover from this recession as well.
I know it's tough sweetie, but you can get through this.
Are there any soup kitchens or anything near where you live? You can eat there.

Psychology, NCL, 2010.

shieldworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
squirrelspit

I am currently:

might it be worth declaring your car off the road for the time being and using public transport instead?

or perhaps if youre really struggling, looking for somewhere cheaper to live or somewhere thats closer to your work?

I know you said jobs are tight and stuff, but could you enquire about waitressing jobs or similar?

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
shredded_angel
Pretty.As.A.Car.Crash

I am currently:

Thank you both...
I got some sleep as well (I had been up for almost 27 hours when I wrote that) and I feel a bit better about it.
It's just very stressful to pretty much give out your entire paycheck as soon as it comes in.
But, I only have about $30 coming out of this next check.
Hospital can wait. They know I'm in good health, gonna be around to pay them eventually.

shieldworld, thank you. And, there's not really any soup kitchens around here. I live in a semi-small town. Pop is under 10,000. And, that's for the whole county. Which is fairly large. Got about 3 small towns and tons of backwoods places.

Squirrelspit, that is a good idea, but... Public transit here is just the bus, and for the whole county, we've really only got 4 of them. And, closing at work doesn't quite work out. They stop running after a bit.

I was thinking, though, this morning...
I'm gonna go and look into foodstamps, at least for the time being.
Something in me doesn't want to, but my stomach somehow manages to talk louder. Literally. lol

I dunno. I'll figure something out.

Edit/Update:
I broke down today and spent $12 of my last $20 for the week on food over at Safeway. I figured, if I've got a cold, whatever.
Note, I don need gas at this point in time as well.
But, I go in and get some sop, some bagels, pasta, etc...
I'm up at checkout, and when I put in my club card info, the checker alerts me that the account I'm using has just hit some dollar mark, and with the promo going on, I won a $9 gas card!

*dances* I got food and gas! Heck yes!

Last edited by shredded_angel : 09-02-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Update

And I hope when you think of me years down the line; You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out; You'd stay the hell out of my way"

Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
klo_flo
Head Supporter

I am currently:

Woweeeeeee... gas and foood!

I know a great webiste for saving money but it's for the UK - where are you bassed? US? The website is http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ and you might find something useful.

Firstly from your list of things and as has already been said - the car might well need to come off the road. Is there anyone you can car share with and give them a bit of petrol money... that would be cheaper then paying all the bills for the car?

Also, you mention these gass bills etc... why are they every month? I know here we get them a quarter and that would be split between all the people in the house as well?

With regards to food - obviously very very important. Things like rice, pasta... tinned tomatos, beans... and going with the economy brand can really help you live on more of a budget. I've had to do this so many times... it can be done.

Sometimes doing the numbers really can help. Money mangement is a skill but it can be done. Don't give in!

Take care,
Chloe xx

We don't get given patience but the opportunity to be patient.
Courage isn't handed to us, but we are given opportunities to be courageous.

klo_flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
sobriquet
Alison

I am currently:

Worked out well with your gas and food!

In terms of saving money on food, try to spend a certain amount on tins, packets, pasta etc each week/month then there will always be stuff in your cupboard even when you're broke. Supermarket own brands aren't actually that bad and things like shower gel/shampoo/conditioner etc don't really matter if they're only cheap, they still get you clean!
Free sample websites (Google it! Lol!) are a good place to check too. They also do vouchers for money off or special offers that can be really useful as well. And you can get loads of samples of toiletries etc.

Sometimes churches do a free meal if you go along to an evening there. I mean, I don't know how you feel about religion etc but if you don't mind being there for a bit it might be worth it.

7th July 2007

Hope is the feeling you have, that the feeling you have isn't permanent. (Jean Kerr)

sobriquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
shredded_angel
Pretty.As.A.Car.Crash

I am currently:

Thank you, for the advice.
And, the gas stuff really isn't bills, it's what I usually spend on gasoline each month between my driving around and what people throw in for carpooling.
I do get help with gas once in a while. And, when it happens it's not just a couple bucks here or there. It's a full tank at a time. So, I'm pretty thankful that carpooling with some people, they actually do help with gas. Or, if not gas, they buy me food, or something I need. Throw a handfull in towards bills. Etc. Usually roommates that do it.

I also found out that I have a rice cooker/steam cooker. Apparently I've had it for quite some time. So, I splurged and one of the things I got yesterday was a cheap bottle of rice vinegar. Had rice with a little bit of vinegar and teriyaki sauce. Rice goes a long ways, too.

I'ma need to invest in some canned foods. Economy bags of frozen chicken or something, if it's on sale.
I've already got 9.75 lbs. of coffee. O.o
It sounds like a lot, I know. But, it's about 4 of the large cans of coffee grounds.I really don't know how I accumulated them. And I even gave one away!
I had 5!!

Everyone's so wonderful here. I'm used to asking a question other places and being ignored.
I think I'm going to use everyone's advice here. Let's see how it turns out.
I've already got 3/4 tank of gas, so I'm going to use that while it lasts.
Also, a small note about the gas card... It actually had $12 loaded on it. I got about 5 and a half gallons. Heck yes.

Last edited by shredded_angel : 09-02-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add on...

Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
klo_flo
Head Supporter

I am currently:

Hey,

The rice thing sounds great... and yes, it definately goes a long way. If you got some frozen veg, you could always add that to the rice and it would give you some more of the vitamins and minerals that you need?

So yes, some canned things and more of the carbs - potatoes/pasta etc. Sounds like some sleep and some support have done you the world of good and I'm glad things seem a little more bearable.

Take care,
Chloe xx

We don't get given patience but the opportunity to be patient.
Courage isn't handed to us, but we are given opportunities to be courageous.

klo_flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
shredded_angel
Pretty.As.A.Car.Crash

I am currently:

I also found out I'm betting close to $1000 from tax returns. And a couple months after that, I'm going to get close to $230 for a "vacation check" from Staples. It's their way of telling Part Time people that, even though we don't get vacation, they want us to have money like we did anyway.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
UbermoronicismAgain
Seductive, and a little creepy x

I am currently:

It all seems to be looking up for you! I'm really glad.

I'm in a similar position to you. My Husband lost his job so we're living on
my wage. I earn enough to support one person, but not two.
My cats also eat bloody well ;)

Iz x

You might win one battle.
But know this; I'll win the ****ing war.

UbermoronicismAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
sobriquet
Alison

I am currently:

Really glad things are starting to look up for you. :)

7th July 2007

Hope is the feeling you have, that the feeling you have isn't permanent. (Jean Kerr)

sobriquet is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)