RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Epicene

I am currently:
Squeaky hamster

I need some hamster advice!

I've had a male hamster for a week now, and yesterday night he started making a strange squeaky/chirping noise. He's nine weeks old, seems healthy, is eating and drinking fine, and enjoys being handled. I'm curious because I've had hamsters in the past that never made a noise whatsoever. I'm worried as to whether it's a sign he's been injured or is unhappy?

This isn't mine, but have found a Youtube video of one making pretty much the same noise:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1kB-fAJpqo"]Hamster hiccups - YouTube[/ame] (Although they refer to them as hiccups some of the comments disagree, which doesn't really help clarify things!)

Epicene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
FindYourselfForYourself
Music is my meditation, in my world of devastation

I am currently:

I've had 13 hamsters between me my sister and my cousin scince i was 5 and ive never heard these noises before i would take him to the vets better safe then sorry. x

FindYourselfForYourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Scumbelina

I am currently:

That sounds a lot like sneezing/respiratory irritation. He may need anti-biotics or it may just be the change in environment/bedding?

Where did you get him?

Scumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
makedamnsure

I am currently:

What bedding do you keep him on and when was he last cleaned out? Could well be respiratory problems if the bedding is too dusty or there's ammonia buildup or something

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
RenewedHope
formerly: Ghosted Liberation & GhostsInSnow

I am currently:

I agree, could well be a respiratory infection. My hamster hasn't had on but they can get them. I've had mice with respiratory infection and they made the same squeaking and chirping noises. If it is, the vet will give you antibiotics to treat your hamster, generally Baytril.

Bedding can have an impact too, like has been said, and ammonia build up. Hamsters don't like having their cages cleaned put regularly and it can cause stress if done too often but toilet areas need doing quite regularly.

I hope it's nothing too serious anyway

RenewedHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Epicene

I am currently:

Thanks everyone. He sleeps on Carefresh bedding, not anything dusty.

I took him to the vets today and apparently his lungs are clear at the moment, but because he's been sneezing this morning they've given him some anti-biotics (Baytril). Apparently if he keeps squeaking but the sneezing stops there shouldn't be any cause for concern; he might just be a vocal hamster.

I feel a lot more relieved now!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
RenewedHope

I am currently:

If you need any advice on getting your hamster to take the medicine, feel free to PM me. None of my pets have ever enjoyed having the medicine xD
Keep an eye on him afterwards though as once they've had it once they can be prone to getting it again. Also (stupid advice I know) make sure you give the medicine for as long as the vets have said to, even if he seems better in himself or stops making the noise. I've known people stop before they should have and their pets have ended up even worse :(

Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Dying_Angel

I am currently:

All my hamsters squeak and they are all healthy!

Hope ur hamsters better soon :)

I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. ~ Girl Interrupted

When you dont want to feel, death seems like a dream. ~ Girl Interrupted

Dying_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Epicene

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosted Liberation View Post
If you need any advice on getting your hamster to take the medicine, feel free to PM me. None of my pets have ever enjoyed having the medicine xD
Thanks! He seems to be okay with it...I've been managing to give it to him by holding him by the scruff, but once he actually has his mouth around the syringe he'll drink it.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
RenewedHope

I am currently:

Awwwh that's great! I had to try and do that with my mice (my vets instructions) but with them being so tiny it doesn't work very well haha.
I hope he makes a speedy recovery :)

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)