RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 26-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Hydroviolet

I am currently:
Prozac + Alcohol

Hello,

I'm currently on two 20mg Prozac pills each evening and have been for around three months. I haven't been drinking much since I began the meds but I know that this weekend (Halloween) I will be. I had one large glass of wine about two weeks ago and felt tipsy just drinking that.

Since I usually take my meds at like 9pm, would it be better for me to just not take them that night (because they'll be combined with alcohol) and hopefully lessen the effects of the alcohol? I don't plan on drinking excessive amounts but drinking a couple of beers without slurring would be great!

Thanks x x

Hydroviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

you should keep taking your meds.
even if you dont take them there will still be effects as it takes a good while for prozac to leave the bloodstream.

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
I.Heart.And
~Approachable and fit (apparently)~

I am currently:

^ I disagree.

Yes, miss them that night. It'll mean you don't get the confliction between the Prozac and alcohol. The only thing is, do you know how you react to missing a dose? Because the effects of physical withdrawal has the potential to ruin your night depending on how it effects you.

I.Heart.And is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
roiben
Insanity let loose

I am currently:

I would think your best bet is to stick with soft drinks and still be able to enjoy your evening.

If I remember correctly, alcohol will affect you more, however it can also make the Prozac less effective for the next few days - which will potentially worsen your symptoms.

In practice, if in doubt, or if you really want to drink it is best to talk it through with your prescribed who will know more about interactions. However, I know from my own experiences that this is not always practical.

If you do insist on drinking, let someone know you are on medication as well, so they can keep an eye on you - as whether you take the Prozac or not, alcohol is a depressant - and may worsen your symptoms.

Take care

If the Human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we wouldn't.

Emerson Pugh

My blog:
http://roiben-losttime.blogspot.com

roiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
My_Name_Is_Aiden
I've got a right to sing the blues

I am currently:

If you desperately want to drink then delay your meds until you are back home and take them then after you are settled in bed. i am on 40mg Prozac but i used to be on 20mg and delaying ONE dose for a few hours did not affect me

Leave him numb. Leave him crushed.
All in all is all we are

My_Name_Is_Aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
xXMessedUpXx
And broken once more

I am currently:

I was able to drink on 40mg of prozac but it affects everyone differently (and its always going to be counter-productive). I have to admit if theres a big night out (very rarely i should add) i will skip my meds (trazadone) but only because i had such a severe reaction to it with a very small amount of alcohol. Its better to keep taking your meds but IF you did choose to skip one night please don't fall into the trap of doing it more than once or too often, i've done this before and it really screwed me up

Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up

xXMessedUpXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)