RYL Forums

View Poll Results: Do you think the death penalty should be used?
Yes 12 13.79%
No 49 56.32%
It depends on the circumstance (please elaborate) 19 21.84%
I really don't know. 7 8.05%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-08-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:
What are your views on the death penalty?

So this is me having my curiosity sparked from another thread. What are your views on the death penalty?

In my own opinion, I don't think the death penalty is right. No person has the right to take the life of another person. And, even if it's done by judge and jury, it still feels (to me) like we're being lowered to that persons level. How are we any better for ordering the death of someone then they were off taking it? And when does it become "okay" to kill someone?! After they've taken a life? After they've abused someone? I just don't think there is any clear cut way to judge someone well enough to say that the death penalty is necessary.

So yes, what are you views?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Lucius.
Luscious Mouthful.

I am currently:

I think it depends on the situation and, obviously, what they've done. Certain criminals, such as sexual predators/paedophiles/rapists, are almost impossible to rehabilitate and, a lot of the time, they don't feel remorse. What they've done they don't see as wrong, although obviously there are some exceptions. Making them sit in prison and think about what they've done then is pretty useless and letting them out means they'll probably re-offend. So I feel that, in these situations, the death penalty should be used. I certainly don't think it should be used for petty crimes like theft, though.

I'm going to get slated for this, aren't I? =/

Lucius. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamSongsOfGlory View Post
I think it depends on the situation and, obviously, what they've done. Certain criminals, such as sexual predators/paedophiles/rapists, are almost impossible to rehabilitate and, a lot of the time, they don't feel remorse. What they've done they don't see as wrong, although obviously there are some exceptions. Making them sit in prison and think about what they've done then is pretty useless and letting them out means they'll probably re-offend. So I feel that, in these situations, the death penalty should be used. I certainly don't think it should be used for petty crimes like theft, though.

I'm going to get slated for this, aren't I? =/
why?! you're allowed your opinion :)

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
Rhuben
I call it dreaming... they call it madness.

I am currently:

No because of the reasons I stated in the other thread:

Quote:

<!-- message --> Guilt can never be proven to be absolute, no human is able to make an objective infallible decision on whether someone is guilty or not. All we can prove is that there is evidence to say that it is reasonable that the person may be guilty.

There have been too many cases where people have been locked up for life for crimes they did not commit. For instance this man who spent 23 years in prison for rape he did not commit after DNA evidence proved he was not the one responsible http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...H0MIvGMmTBb9rw

Once someone's been killed that's it, there's no bringing them back. Frankly the prospect that even one innocent person may be mistakenly killed is enough to oppose the death penalty. If we execute people later proved to be innocent then we are no better than the cold blooded murderers themselves in our quests for vigilante justice.

Besides death is a release from punishment, once they're dead they feel nothing, no pain, no punishment, no guilt, no remorse. It's better to lock criminals up for life and let them face the demons of their past

Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Dark Knight

Rhuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Tuesday

Absolutely no. It's legalized murder.

Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

It's barbaric.

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
The One Who

I am currently:

Miscarriage of justice. As long as we still have them then the death penalty should not be permitted.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

i dont think it is right
lock them up and throw away the key

imprison them and take away their freedom just like they have done to their victims
death penality in my eyes makes everyone but the convict suffer.
the accused gets to leave the world while the people left are hurting.

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Lou Lou
hell on high heels

I am currently:

I'm against the death penalty. When it comes to a criminal who is basically going to do life in jail or face execution, execution seems like a preferable option so how is it punishment?

Once you're dead you no longer have to live with what you have done. Your victims and your victims family will have to live with it everyday.

Besides that, I just don't think it sets a very good example. It's like saying "You don't respect life so we're going to kill you because we don't respect life either but we can get away with it."
You can't expect anyone to respect the life and rights of others when it is quite clear the Government doesn't either.

You just can't fight fire with fire.

When the world says give up
Hope whispers try one more time

Lou Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post
It's just unfeasible and murder is utterly immoral. The death penalty is vengeance, not justice.
Exactly.

Plus, research has shown that the death penalty doesn't actually work as a deterrent; crimes that result in the death penalty are actually higher in countries that have the death penalty.
The research was posted in the other thread, I think?

I cannot see the justification of the death penalty; I really don't think that there is any justifiable reason for it.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
Fitzwilliam

I am currently:

I think the only reason I'd believe the death penalty to be used is because here in the UK a life sentence doesn't mean life....So when people are jailed for life for murder, they are let out later. If people were jailed for life, I wouldn't agree with it.

'Coincidence...it's what the Universe does for...fun.'
The Doctor

Fitzwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
Grunge Rock Princess
&lt;|Hippiechick|&gt;

I dont agree with the death penalty on the basis that it is not justice. And that our system is a bit of a joke.

In the UK life should mean life as said before. Prison is not always portrayed in the media as being a particularly bad place either. The main reason though, that i am opposed is that mistakes happen. Our jury system isn't foolproof and it wouldnt be the first time an innocent person was sent down- only you cant revive them.

I do see why people agree with it but no in my opinion there's too much doubt.

If I should become a stranger
You know that it would make me more than sad
Caledonia's been everything I've ever had

Ginger and Proud

The dream is over.....
....good luck to all the globespanners

Grunge Rock Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Rodolphus
#Azkafam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Lou View Post
I'm against the death penalty. When it comes to a criminal who is basically going to do life in jail or face execution, execution seems like a preferable option so how is it punishment?

Once you're dead you no longer have to live with what you have done. Your victims and your victims family will have to live with it everyday.

Besides that, I just don't think it sets a very good example. It's like saying "You don't respect life so we're going to kill you because we don't respect life either but we can get away with it."
You can't expect anyone to respect the life and rights of others when it is quite clear the Government doesn't either.

You just can't fight fire with fire.
My view exactly, just better worded than I could have done :)

Now I'll play your ghost as my ace, whenever I'm led astray.
But I am actually good, can't help it if we're tilted.
I'm in my right place, don't be a downer.

Rodolphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

it all seems like a big sob story to me, no one has the right to take anothers life boo hoo, well sad to say this but if anyone hurt my son hurt anyone dear to me killed anyone dear to me raped anyone repetly offend the rest of the world by bringing forth there evil it is up to the rest of us to put an end to it
you put a repeat offender for rape or a rock spider in the chair i'll flcik the switch for scum like this do not deserve to be breathing in the air of the innocent and in my mind if you have the chance to get rid of someone that can cause so much pain and dont there next victoms blood is on your hands, we turn blind eyes to what is right and let these vampires keep sucking away all that is good and pure
you may not be the rapist but you let them walk after comming back doing it over and over you may aswell have done it yourself "bad men do what good men let them"

To whom I may offend,
hahahahaha
Yours faithfully the monkeys arse

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #15
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

vengance is the only true justise

To whom I may offend,
hahahahaha
Yours faithfully the monkeys arse

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #16
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

I'm not going to try and change anyone's mind when it comes to the death penalty, because I know people have very set views on it. Nor am I going to pay any heed to comments trying to change my mind, because I have very set views on it too. Just thought I'd toss in my two cents.

Surprisingly (considering my left-wing views on just about everything else) I support the death penalty, if the accused meets all of the following criteria:

1) He/she has murdered someone. Not killed someone by accident, or in self-defense, but very deliberately murdered someone.
2) He/she can be proven guilty beyond ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER.
3) He/she shows no remorse at all.

Is vengeance the same as justice? Well, no. But y'know what, murdering someone in cold blood isn't very just either, and in my opinion the murderer should f*cking pay dearly. You're no doubt thinking "but doesn't that make us as bad as the killer?" You're right, it probably does. Except for the fact that we're not putting this guy to death because he wouldn't hand over his wallet. We're killing him because he's too dangerous to be kept alive.

As for people who think "only God has the right to decide who lives and who dies", try saying that to the murderer. Odds are he'll laugh in your face. So will I, because as far as I'm concerned, God is a fictional character, and I don't live my life based on rules set out in what is essentially a short-story compilation.

I believe that if a man decides that he has the right to say who lives and who dies, and then acts on it, then his right to life is forfeit.

I probably haven't changed anyone's mind in the course of my rambling, rightwing-rhetoric-laden diatribe, but that's fine. Just my humble opinion.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #17
BeautyFiend

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab_IntrA View Post
If there was someone who tried to play the vigilante and decided to go around mass killing people who were on the sex offenders register, do you think they should be put to death?

The only difference it it's lawful killing.

BeautyFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
We're killing him because he's too dangerous to be kept alive.
Because someone in a maximum security gaol is still a danger to the general public? I really don't understand your argument there.

Quote:
And I disagree with this vehemently. Vengeance is a base, primal emotion. It lacks rationality, it lacks clear judgement and it lacks proportionality. Justice should be dispensed without emotional involvement from the judge and jury, the only way vengeance would have place in a court would be if the judge and jury contained victims or membres of the victims family. And I am glad they do not get to pass justice because they wouldn't be overly concerned about examining the evidence to prove the case, they'd just want to sentence who they thought did the crime to death.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #19
Isoverity

I am currently:

I would have no problem executing a killer and then going to lunch. But since I know innocent people would be killed I never liked capital punishment. I even know a guy who spent 14 yrs in jail for murder he didn't commit (DNA proved it wasn't him and then actual killer confessed and his DNA matched)

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybody's Grudge View Post
As for people who think "only God has the right to decide who lives and who dies", try saying that to the murderer. Odds are he'll laugh in your face. So will I, because as far as I'm concerned, God is a fictional character, and I don't live my life based on rules set out in what is essentially a short-story compilation.

I believe that if a man decides that he has the right to say who lives and who dies, and then acts on it, then his right to life is forfeit.
I don't believe in God, I struggle with the concept of believing in religion - but I still don't think that we have the right to dictate who should live and die. I think it's actually hideously self-centred to believe that you (sorry, generally you, not personal you :P), as a person, should have the power and the right to dictate that life.

Prison can forfeit life. Being in prison is nothing like life outside, and even if you are allowed out, your life will have changed substantially - getting a job or a house will be hugely difficult, finding people to entrust and to become friends will is hugely difficult - your life can be taken away from you in other ways than death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi
And I disagree with this vehemently. Vengeance is a base, primal emotion. It lacks rationality, it lacks clear judgement and it lacks proportionality. Justice should be dispensed without emotional involvement from the judge and jury, the only way vengeance would have place in a court would be if the judge and jury contained victims or membres of the victims family. And I am glad they do not get to pass justice because they wouldn't be overly concerned about examining the evidence to prove the case, they'd just want to sentence who they thought did the crime to death.
I love you.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)