RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Frosty Autumn

These people don't understand my anxiety. What do I tell them!?

I'm hoping that I'm putting this in the right place. Please bear with me! ^u^

There's an event that I have to go to every week during the school year, and this entire year, it's given me lots of anxiety. I had an anxiety attack at the opening event last fall, and I've felt scared of the place ever since. At least five times in the past couple months, I've had anxiety attacks at these events. Three of those times, I gotten anxious enough to flee the room and hide.
One of those times was this week. One of the leaders in charge of the event went after me this time, and she pretty much told me I had to face my fear no matter how bad it is. After the event, another leader, while more kind and concerned than the other, said something similar. Basically, I just have to get over it and force myself into social situations.
Uh-huh. I've been shy all my life, and when people started forcing me into social situations to make me "better," huge problems with anxiety developed. So clearly that doesn't work. I know what I need to do. I need to push myself, for sure, but I need to take my time. Rushing will only make matters worse.
This is what I need advice on. How can I explain this to these people? They won't let me take my time, they're pushing me, and they don't understand that my anxiety can't just stop instantly. It's irritating. And it's also very damaging to me. I'd been three months clean from self harm, but then because of them, I've gone back to resorting to self harm to stop my anxiety attacks. I can't get better until they listen and understand.
Any advice on how to explain this to them?

Sorry for the long topic. I babble. :C

One more thing: Please don't suggest just not going to this event. I don't have that option.

Frosty Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
offlineforever
Left RYL

Have you tried seeking professional help for thus or even looked at CBT courses online?

Also, I think that maybe the leaders do have a point, sometimes to overcome something you do just have to expose yourself to the situation. Although jumping in at the deep end can be difficult and doesn't always work.

In terms of explaining it to them, you could just explain that while you are try to just get on with it and deal with the situation it get it just isn't helping. Sometimes being blunt and upfront is the only way to make people understand, it is possible that they just don't realise how difficult the issue is for you.

Hope some of this helps.

Left.

offlineforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Frosty Autumn

I've tried to get help many times, but it hasn't worked out. My family won't do anything.

They certainly do have a point, and I understand that they want to help (at least, one of them does--I'm pretty sure the other one is pissed off at me for being such a "bother"), but they're going about it the wrong way.

Yeah, I'll try...

-

I've been getting anxiety attacks all week, just thinking about going back there in a couple days. I don't want to...

Old 12-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #4
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

Hello there,

Aaaaa I wish I had some advice to give but I'm low on words right now. I just wanted to let you know that I can relate a lot to the things you are feeling and know just how difficult it can be when people don't understand how debilitating anxiety is.

The only thing I can really suggest is - keep trying! You might find it easier to write a letter to them instead of saying it out loud so you can get all your points across before they have a chance to object. If all else fails just rememebr you can't be forced to do anything, but in the end it would be important to build yourself up so you can eventually feel okay in these situations.

Have you ever seen anybody for your anxiety? CAMHS, a counsellor, your GP? I'd really recommend looking in to seeing someone if at all possible, I don't know where you live but in the UK it's free so you could go without your parents consent. (Although if you're under 16 they might want to discuss it with your parents eventually.)

Take care <3
-Holly

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Frosty Autumn

That's a good idea. I might try that if I have the chance.

I never have, but I really want to. However, my dad is judgmental and my mom never does anything that's needed, so I'm pretty much stuck. I'm hoping that I can get my adult sisters to get my mom to do something.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)