RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 23-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Go with your head or go with your heart.

I was passing by the TV when I heard the phrase "will you go with your head, or go with your heart?" What does that mean?

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Grumpylilmoose

I am currently:

Following your heart is doing what you want / feel is right yet knowing that the consequences might be utter ***** at least how I understand it.

Grumpylilmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
LotusandDice
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Head symbolises logic, heart is for emotion.

Even though it is all contained in the mind.

Abandon hope, ye pitiful ones. Embrace defiance and relent another day.

LotusandDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusandDice View Post
Head symbolises logic, heart is for emotion.

Even though it is all contained in the mind.
I agree with this, I think it's just the difference between the logical mind (brain) and the emotional mind (heart).

I personally think a balance between logic and emotion is best, as opposed to choosing one or the other.

BridgesAndBalloons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Steel Maiden

I don't go with my feelings because I hardly have any. I just plot a logical flow chart or decision tree for everything. Well except when I'm psychotic, then I'm not exactly logical.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 23-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Did you learn something from this thread?

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
LotusandDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demons To Some View Post
I agree with this, I think it's just the difference between the logical mind (brain) and the emotional mind (heart).

I personally think a balance between logic and emotion is best, as opposed to choosing one or the other.
Exactly! :)

Old 23-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
Isoverity

I am currently:

Intuition (not instinct - intuition) is better than both head and heart

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Steel Maiden

Thanks for translating. I'm understanding now. It's "will you use your logic or your feelings"?

Old 23-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
LotusandDice

Intuition is also from your head. The first thought/impulse you get is often the most reliable. After that instant, your brain starts considering more and more information and one might end up thinking too much about the situation.

Old 23-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
LotusandDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Maiden View Post
Thanks for translating. I'm understanding now. It's "will you use your logic or your feelings"?
Yeah, that's about it :)

Old 23-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Steel Maiden

Ok thanks.

Old 24-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Bear in mind that your feeling is also often based on previous experience, and logic is often based on rationality without taking into account personalities too...

Old 24-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
LotusandDice

Rationality without taking into account personalities, as much as you can, is not being completely rational.

Old 24-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #15
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Eh... I disagree. People don't act or think rationally a lot of the time. You can be entirely rational and do the most sensible thing, and not take into account people's feelings on the matter (and if you're doing the most logical thing, should you take into account people's feelings? It's the most logical thing to do, there's not really scope to feel emotional).

It's logic vs feeling essentially

Old 24-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusandDice View Post
Intuition is also from your head. The first thought/impulse you get is often the most reliable. After that instant, your brain starts considering more and more information and one might end up thinking too much about the situation.
Intuition is from the soul - and its wordless/emotionless. "First thoughts" are often corrrct but those are generally more instinctive. The brain does start to contaminate objective observation as more info is added. That's part of how people get "mental" problems (which are emotional problems first most of the time)

Old 24-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
LotusandDice

Yes, that's pretty much what I was trying to convey, although you put it a little clearer than I did. A soul, as something ethereal, I don't believe exist however. We are built by cells, which are built by atoms, which again are built by quarks and our DNA programs each cell to function as it functions.

Old 24-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Isoverity

I am currently:

Trees and rocks have cells and atoms - but only people know they consciously exist. Not even cats or dogs know they exist in the same way. Its also humans who have the most conflict because they can make choices others cant'. All people are born knowing its wrong to steal - they don't really need to be taught its wrong to steal anymore than they have to be taught its wrong to be a cannibal lol. When people do steal they know its wrong and the good ones feel conflict about it (bad people dont experience conflcit the same way - they feel more guilty for not stealing) . One reason people in RYL are unhappy is because they have so much conflict over who thay really are and what thet have become - often accidentally. I must have read "I hate myself" a million times here. However the self they hate isn't really them at all. If it was they wouldn't feel conflicted. But they do and thats more of an intuitive phenom than anynthing. So is the parent who suddenly has a deep knowing one of their kids is in trouble. There are no atoms or molecules involved in that. Its invisible psychic bonds at work there.

Old 25-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #19
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
All people are born knowing its wrong to steal - they don't really need to be taught its wrong to steal anymore than they have to be taught its wrong to be a cannibal lol.
Argh, I hate hate to be all provocative or contrary - but I don't think people instinctively know that it's wrong to steal; I think people feel it's wrong to steal from people who are similar to them, who they can relate to - but as soon as that real, physical being is taken away from them, I think people find it very easy to take from others. This is quite a nice short video about dishonesty and the feeling of taking from a person vs taking from a place (even if it affects the person) http://www.thersa.org/events/rsaanim...out-dishonesty

If you're talking about stealing from a person, that's completely different - but that needs clarification.

Quote:
When people do steal they know its wrong and the good ones feel conflict about it (bad people dont experience conflcit the same way - they feel more guilty for not stealing) . One reason people in RYL are unhappy is because they have so much conflict over who thay really are and what thet have become - often accidentally. I must have read "I hate myself" a million times here. However the self they hate isn't really them at all. If it was they wouldn't feel conflicted. But they do and thats more of an intuitive phenom than anynthing. So is the parent who suddenly has a deep knowing one of their kids is in trouble. There are no atoms or molecules involved in that. Its invisible psychic bonds at work there.
Where do you think this soul comes from, or how do you think it comes into existence? I'm a bit of a rationalist in this, rather than a psychic, and I think those feelings can come quite naturally from the right or wrong atoms or electric connections in the brain. That's not to say that the response to all of this should be ECT or anything quite that horrific - I think a lot of it can be reprogrammed manually (just as you could do a system reboot or you could change a couple of settings in your computer - it doesn't undermine the basic hard- and software that makes up a computer). I'd like to think that there is some psychic underlying in the universe, but I just haven't seen anything to overwhelm me to believe that. I also think that that belief is quite empowering - you are made up of atoms and chemicals, and yet you have the power to make the change if you want to. There aren't invisible, underlying forces which guide what happens to you or your basic instinct - you are in charge of how you live your life.

Old 25-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Thanks for the link Jo, it was really interesting.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)