RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
10 pieces of incredible street art.

Street art, perhaps contrary to popular belief, isn’t about vandalizing buildings – it’s about self expression, and getting a message out to the world that can often be thoughtful and provoking. It can take on many forms: rather than being limited to paintings, it can work its magic in such mediums as yarn bombing, lego, and even ice sculptures. Here are some good examples of what the best street artists can do:

Little People

This is a photo of a small plastic couple stranded on a tennis ball, complete with a plastic palm tree, representing a deserted island. It is on a beach right near the city, and they are looking out as though they’re waiting to be saved. It goes to show that even the smallest things can be turned into something wonderful.

Yarn Bombing

This is one of my favorite yarn bombing pictures. The webs are crocheted in a colorful spiderweb pattern around what would usually be a very ordinary tree. The purpose of yarn bombing is to brighten up the world by crocheting patterns onto things like statues, pipes and even tanks. It certainly fulfilled its purpose here.

Ice Men

These are men created from ice, and water is trickling down from them as the rising sun is melting them away. This piece symbolizes that nothing is permanent, and everything will fade away eventually.

Peace Dove

This is a creation of one of the greatest and most well-known street artists of all time, Banksy. It is a peace dove wearing a bulletproof vest, and seems to be in the cross hairs of someone with a gun – representing that although the peace makers might be blessed, those who want peace are unwanted and will be eliminated in such a world as ours.

Dentist

This is a very clever piece by Nomerz. The broken bits of brick are turned into the teeth of a person with a cigarette in their mouth. Strikingly, it shows the effects of smoking, and how the habit it will completely destroy your teeth.

War Bug

This quirky painting was created by LUDO. It shows a bug that has been turned into a machine of war. The 3D picture looks like it is about to come out of the wall and attack someone. It can be found in Chicago.

LEGO

In the nooks and crannies of many a city, you can find bits of LEGO filling up cracks and brightening walls, much like the yarn bombing creations. It is a very creative form of street art, and anyone can do it – all you need is a handful of LEGO!

Chalk Alien

This is a chalk creation that was drawn by David Zinn. It features a cute alien raking up the leaves and putting them under the pathway; real leaves are scattered around it to add to the effect.

Three Girls

This creation is a collaboration between two street artists, Antoine Stevens and Steve Locatelli. It is a colorful painting of three women shouting, the somewhat sci-fi pattern and design making it both shocking and beautiful at the same time.

“No brushes or stencils, just spray”

This amazing picture is by David Walker, and as the title suggests, he did not use any brushes or stencils. This is very unusual for a street artist to do, mostly because it is so difficult. The girl is made up of vibrant colors, while still remaining amazingly realistic – making the overall effect quite incredible.

SOURCE

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

Another great list, thanks for that Adam!

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
makedamnsure

I am currently:

Brilliant. Love the Lego!

Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self Control
Indomitable Spirit

makedamnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Nargles
Aimee :)

I am currently:

These are awesome :) I don't think I could spend all that time making ice sculptures just to let them melt away though!

Nargles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
squirrelspit

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel_Good_inc. View Post

This is a creation of one of the greatest and most well-known street artists of all time, Banksy.
NO.

other than that... good list.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:

I don't write them, I just post them :)

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

Those are awesome & my colleague enjoyed them too - thanks for that! :)

Ride it out.
"I need a sunrise in the dark."

Accidentally Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

These are so lovely and interesting! I wish we had such artistic street art where I live. Unfortunately the walls are limited to crudely drawn spray paint >_>

Eccentrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
LotusandDice
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Banksy's a genious. I've seen alot of the Lego "fixes" on cracked walls etc. It's nice against the dreary gray lifelessness of many city buildings.

Abandon hope, ye pitiful ones. Embrace defiance and relent another day.

LotusandDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
The One Who

I am currently:

Banksy is shit. That's all.

Let's face it though, most so-called "street art" is simply vandalism. There are some great, great artists out there who do brilliant stuff, but most of it is just rubbish done by youths with nothing better to do with their time.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
LotusandDice
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Banksy is ****? You've got no reflection on street art. There's a difference between spraypainting a dick or a nickname on a wall and painting art, much of it conveying messages more than many words can do.

Abandon hope, ye pitiful ones. Embrace defiance and relent another day.

LotusandDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
crazykat
Fight for another day

I love love the last one. Amazing :)

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
All I know is falling.

This is pretty cool. I like the yarn bombing and the little alien man. I wish there was stuff like that around where I lived!

All I know is falling. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
little.ophelia

Shauna you should come visit me. My town is literally covered in yarn bombing. It's really cool!

little.ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
MunchBox
I threw my pie for you.

I am currently:

Another good list and a good read.

Sweetpea

MunchBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #16
squirrelspit

I am currently:

stenciling doesnt require that much skill.

Banksy is a sell out. i think he stuff is hyped for no real reason and he is incredibly disrespectful to a lot of 'proper' street writers.

Whether youre doing a throw up or senciling something political, its all vandalism, i dont think any of it has more or less right than something
else to be there.

squirrelspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I really enjoy street art, I think it can really lighten up a place and make it less boring.

FabulousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Sketchy

I am currently:

Adam, once again, thanks for this list. I enjoyed it.

I came across yarn bombing in a local park. I'll need to dig out the photos I took.

The ice men are impressive and quite thought provoking. I remember reading about it somewhere.

I remember reading a book filled with images where an artist created a series of photos just like the little people, but the name escapes me just now.

Sketchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelspit View Post
stenciling doesnt require that much skill.

Banksy is a sell out. i think he stuff is hyped for no real reason and he is incredibly disrespectful to a lot of 'proper' street writers.
This. I dislike Banksy, both in style, art and from what I know of his personality. He is a name, and his stuff (not that great, IN MY OPINION) is hyped simply because it is by him. He could claim a penis on a wall and some would think it had some great meaning and was the best piece of art they've ever seen.

Quote:
Whether youre doing a throw up or senciling something political, its all vandalism, i dont think any of it has more or less right than something
else to be there.
Also agree, although a lot of the decent street artists seek (and get) permission by the local authority and/or building owners before undertaking their work. In fact, some companies approach artists themselves and ask them to do something on their building to stop it from being targeted by the crap.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Awesome times, love the last one especially.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)