Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:
witness outcome

Okay, heres a question for you.

If a person witnesses someone doing something bad (a traumatic event), is that person more likely to go out and recreate the scene (perhaps in some sort of way of dealing with past feelings or something) or are they more likely to never do anything like it given they have witnessed the effects and such?

Does that mae sense.

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Bitter_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
Benji
Doink!

When I was a wee Benji I saw a rather bad road accident and kept on drawing it at daycare. It was just people and cars and blood, it freaked the people there out, I was about four or five I think. =D

Benji's Weekly Insight:
I have a Tonberry teddy called Grudge.

Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
shadow-light
He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon

I am currently:

erm... as awful an answer as this is... I think it depends on the person...

and the age of the personn... like if they witnessed it as a child they are probably more likely to see it as "acceptable" and so recreate it

shadow-light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

I think it depends. On the person, on the situation, on how they deal with the incident.

Like bullying. Bullies have often been bullied themselves. But not all bullied people turn out to be bullies.

Why is this?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Benji
Doink!

^^^Because people are impressionable and bullying becomes acceptable to them.

Benji's Weekly Insight:
I have a Tonberry teddy called Grudge.

Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiwuzzle Lives View Post
I think it depends. On the person, on the situation, on how they deal with the incident.

Like bullying. Bullies have often been bullied themselves. But not all bullied people turn out to be bullies.

Why is this?
I'd say it's because bullying has made them feel vulnerable and powerless. A way of taking back that control is to assert yourself over someone else to make them feel vulnerable and powerless also. Doesn't make it excusable mind, but understandable certainly.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Hmm there is a certain case that made me think of this question, though it is an intresting one anyway.

The person in question is an adult male, he pretty much witnessed the rape and attempted murder of someone. Since then he has murder someone else. Would the excusse of re-enactment stand up in court? And how would you feel about it?

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Casper_Fading
It's okay. I have a supersoaker.

I am currently:

I actually meant, why the question, sorry!

I think it would depend on the age of the person when they witnessed the event. Then it would depend on the pysch evaluation. If you want to know more, I can ask my older brother. He's a lawyer.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

- Dr. Seuss

Casper_Fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Ermm why the question. lol. good question. it kinda relates to somthing that is going on in my life and it kinda got me thinking. (I wont go into it on this thread though)

Old 04-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

It can go either way.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Thanks Irene.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
Ninja Orange

I am currently:

I think it can go either way.

Like abused kids can either go on to be abusive parents themselves, or be disgusted by their abusers' behaviour and never discipline their child at all.

I think it depends on your reaction to the event, and the thoughts that follow it. Like if the murderer he saw was somebody he knew, he might try to justify their actions, to an extent that they begin to accept them as normal in those circumstances. Or else, the present case may have nothing to do with the other case at all.

Ninja Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
whirlpools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
Well PTSD could be raised as a mitigating factor, but if the defendant managed to prove that, it would only have an effect on sentencing as even deeply traumatised people know that murder is against the law. They might also be found guilty of manslaughter instead of murder depending on the facts of the individual case.

To actually be found innocent by virtue of insanity one would have to prove that one didn't know what the hell one was doing (ie, you believed you were shooting a giant man-eating crow). This is a really high threshold, and even if one does prove it, one could be sent to a hospital for the criminally insane for a lot longer than a sentence for murder.

Then there is what is called diminished responsibility, where the defendant at the time of the murder was so deluded that they couldn't stop themselves. They wouldn't necessarily have to go to gaol or hospital depending on the facts of the case. As with insanity, proving this is quite hard and certain criteria must be met.
Absolutely this.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #14
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

When I was younger my family and I witnessed an awful accident, it has haunted me for 12 years and I have now gone completely the other way.

At school I went through a stage where I was bullied by a few older boys, and I also had some bullying from a couple of teachers when I was about 7. Both of these things have shown me just how horrible it is - and how I would never, ever want anyone to feel that way.

The things that have happened to me, I'd protect anyone from. I know how rubbish some things are, and I'd never want to put those things onto someone.

However.... With those particular people I really do wish I could go back and make them feel as bad as they made me feel. That's awful and nasty, and I don't know whether if I had the opportunity I'd actually be able too - but I have thought about it. I've thought about writing letters, I wouldn't want to harm them, I'd just want them to understand what their words and actions have meant. I hope that makes sense.

I think it does depend upon the person, but I do not think just because you have been the victim you become the abuser. Some people do think that's what happens all of the time, and I don't think that's true. There are so many people out there that have been abused and become strong and empowered and go out there and do so many positive things. I suppose there are two ways to go, but I don't think what you have to suffer, is then something you will make someone else suffer.

I'm going to shut up.

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Firefly1016
His Firefly!

I am currently:

Awhile again I was in a bad accident, and now i relive it over and over in my head. I do it because it all seems unreal to me, i also do it because i am look for something I could have done to change the outcome of it all I guess.

Starting to fall again. How far is the ground this time. I hope he is there to catch me this time. Cause if I hit the ground I will break.

Firefly1016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)