Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
HildaOgden

I am currently:
Social Worker woes

I had a cpn for 13 years and then she retired.
In the past year I've had 3 social workers.

This latest social worker is unapproachable, judgmental and flakey

I have had a couple of appointments with her but she is very forgetful and keeps bringing the same things up which we've already gone over. She also hasn't read my case notes.

I'm seeing her tomorrow and I am dreading it.
I've not seen her for about 6 weeks because she was awy and then I was away.

My patience is running out. I feel like saying to her that I find her unapproachable and that I think she's judgmental.

Do you think that's out of order?

HildaOgden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Wonderland.

I think as long as you are assertive about it, telling your SW those things is completely fair. I have a SW who can be forgetful and unhelpful at times, and I find that being honest about it is good and she agrees. Every time we have worked our way forward from whatever difficulty has come up and our working relationship or whatever you want to call it is a lot stronger for it.

I would try and have a think about what you would expect from her and how you want things to be different, as this is something she may raise with you.

As a SW she should want to help you, so I don't think it does any harm to let her know how you feel. If I was her I would rather know what I'm doing wrong so I can trying and change it, than you continue to hold your feelings in and me not be able to help you.

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
HildaOgden

I am currently:

thanks

we got off to a bad start because she asked my diagnosis when we first met (it's in my notes and she obviously didn't read them).
I said in the past it had been bpd but I have recently had Schizoaffective Disorder put as my primary diagnosis by my consultant psych and the psych from DBT.

my SW doesn't seem to accept the Schizoaffective disorder diagnosis and she said we#d have to agree to disagree.

FFS can#t she just accept what my consultant psychiatrist says?

I am struggling at the moment and I'd like her support but I don't feel like I can open up to her because she#s so focused on bpd which isn't the issue atm

She wants to go through my care plan. 6 months ago my old social worker gave me my careplan to update which I did. I spent a long time on it and went through it with my Mum to make sure it was comprehensive.
This new social worker hasn't been given this care plan that I completed. If it has been lost I will be furious because I put so much effort into it.

I just wish this social worker would read my notes. Is that too much to ask?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Wonderland.

Does she just not accept a diagnosis in general like for everyone, like not believing it's a thing? Or specifically for you, as in thinking you should be diagnosed differently?

I think either way it's worrying that you don't have that continuity and people in your care team aren't on the same page. How an earth do they expect you to move forward when you have a SW who doesn't accept your diagnosis! Does she have any understanding of it at all?

I really do hope that they haven't lost your care plan you made as it sounds like you spent a great deal of time and effort on it. Maybe in future, just to put your mind at rest you could photo copy it and keep a copy if they do misplace it.

I would at least have expected your current SW to have read your latest care plan. Some do take the approach of wanting to get to know the person rather than making judgement off of notes, but it sounds like she's judging you anyway. And if you would like her to, then there is no reason for her not to.

I mean you'd expect them to know basic information like diagnosis and risks etc before meeting you!!

'Cause I'll always remember you the same.
Oh eyes like wild flowers within demons of change ♥

Wonderland. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Sooty
Sophie

I am currently:

I don't think that's too much to ask. I mean you're not wanting her to thoroughly read everything that's ever been said but she should skim through your file and familiarise herself with the key issues. She should also have a quick read through of her notes from the previous session with you so she doesn't just keep repeating the same stuff over and over. How long have you been with this social worker? Maybe it's time to say that you're just not getting on and see if there is someone else who can be allocated to you?

Sophie.x

Soon... Now will be then...Today will be yesterday... Present will be past...And thought will be memory... So...Live for the future! Make your future how you want it!

Sooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
HildaOgden

I am currently:

thanks Wonderland and Sooty

I think she#s the sort of SW who 'thinks she knows best' despite not having clinical training

If I don't like what I hear at our meeting tomorrow I shall see the Manager and ask for someone else

She was given to me at the end of November but between her being off sick and on leave and then me being away I've only seen her about 3/4 times
she's just so unprepared whenever she's met with me

Old 05-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
HildaOgden

I am currently:

My Mum phoned this morning and said she had just spoken to my SW.
Mum said P (my social worker) was very matter of fact.
I don't like being talked about with out my being there.
Mum told her I was feeling a bit down.
I am really not looking forward to this appt. It's at 2pm.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #8
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

How did the appointment go? Hope there are some positive steps that can be taken.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
HildaOgden

I am currently:

I cried & was distressed for 95% of the appointment.
She was getting me to talk about what had stressed me out to make me feel so bad.
It was awful & it made me feel worse.
I wanted to talk to her about the 'threat from 'them'
And the contamination
She said she'd phone me on Monday but tbh I won't be chasing her if she doesn't

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)