Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:
Clozapine/clopixol/other

I saw a different nurse who listened to my tales of how the voices are bad atm and she said that clozapine really makes a difference to the voices.

My cpn knows that I really wanna be on tablets (I am currently on clopixol depot) and I always thought that I really wanted to be on clopixol tablets. But two people in my hearing voices group and someone else I know is on clozapine tablets and they've all said that clozapine has changed their life (for the good).

So now I am thinking that may be I should try clozapine. For those of you who are on clozapine how did you find it?

The only thing that puts me off is the regular blood tests (possibly for life). I am needle phobic though I am a lot better since being on a depot with needles.

My psych has also suggested increasing my depot by an extra 200 mg instead of trying tablets. I really dont want to increase because last time I tried increasing it made me constantly hungry. Secondly I dont want to become over medicated and stop hearing voices, which I am scared that will happen. Also I want to stop having injections because a) I am sick of being injected and b) I want to see my cpn less which I cant because she has to come to do my depot. Also it's a pain getting injections when my cpn is off (I had one today and my cpn is currently on holiday so I had a different nurse come to see me).

Finally has anyone got any other suggestions. I know I definitely dont want to be on flupentixol because I was given it whilst IP in January and I hated the side effects.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

Please do not pm me without permission as I find getting PMs very stressful.

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 08-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Cacoethes
ˇViva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I was on clozapine for 3 years.
I wasn't a huge fan of the blood tests at the time, but honestly, you do get used to it when you have them that much.
And it's only once a month when you are settled on it.

My diagnosis/experiences or whatever aren't really clear, but I know the longest time I was out of hospital as an adolescent was when I was on clozapine, and when I stopped taking it things went downhill dramatically and I was the worst I'd ever been, so I would say that it did help quite a lot!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks Beckie.

The voices have been bad for nearly 2 months now and I am getting sick to death of it. Hence why I am thinking of asking for clozapine tablets (I know my psych has the final word) whereas I have been against clozapine in the past (my psych suggested it over 3 years ago). At first I thought my bad voices was due to stress, but I am not stressed now and my voices are pretty intensive.

I said both to the hearing voices group and the nurse who came today that when I see my cpn next I will ask for an increased depot (by 100 mg, not the 200 mg my psych wants). But I am scared that it will cause increased hunger and I know that it will take time for it to work. Hence me preferring tablets because I can change it easier if the dosage isnt right or the side effects become unbearable.

Plus with tablets I can see my cpn less. It's not because she has annoyed me or doesnt provide a good standard of care, it's the opposite! I am doing so well that I feel that I dont need her any more. I dont feel ready to be discharged, but I would like to see her less which is impractical with depots.

The only thing that scares me also is that I read that clozapine was for people with treatment resistant schizophrenia, and I dont think that my schizophrenia is treatment resistant (since being on clopixol I have improved tons). I am also worried about weight gain, I am already morbidly obese so I cannot afford to pile on any more weight.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 08-10-2014 at 11:22 PM.

Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic

Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Also for those of you who are on clozapine, how do you get it? Do you get it from a chemist or the hospital pharmacy?

I ask because one link I read said that you can get only get it from the hospital pharmacy whereas mind seemed to suggest that you could get from a chemist (they have to be registered however).

Old 09-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
MissAnonymous

I am currently:

I am pretty sure you can get it from a normal pharmacy, they may have to have extra training to be able to dispense this medication though.

Last edited by MissAnonymous : 09-10-2014 at 12:44 AM.
MissAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Cacoethes
ˇViva la Revolución!

I am currently:

I got my clozapine from the hospital pharmacy.
There was a 'clozapine clinic' at the hospital where they did the bloods and stuff. It was always the same nurse which was very helpful, don't know if it's like that everywhere though.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Cedrus

I am currently:

I get my clozapine from the hospital pharmacy too. Like Beckie said, theres a 'clozapine clinic' for bloods - mine is at my local mental health clinic/centre.

Clozapine has been exceptionally helpful for me, but I struggle with it due to the increased appetite i get at night, although not everyone suffers from that. I've seen people in hospital on clozapine who are quite slim.

You have to be consistent taking it though as if you miss two consecutive days worth, the clozapine has to start back at 25mg and increased daily until you get back to your dose.

sticks and stones may break your bones but words can tear your heart out.

Cedrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
tamobhuuta

I am currently:

clozapine has been a real blessing for me. I've been on it 3 years and I have gained weight but have tried to keep this to a minimum by watching my eating and exercising more. the treatment resistant thing was a bit of a blow but life is so much better on it that it's worth it. I get my meds from the CMHT.

with Christ I hang upon the cross

tamobhuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
justapuppetonastring

I am currently:

I get mine from the mental health place near where i live, Clozapine is amazing. I do honestly think it has changed my life x

And if your thoughts should turn to death, you gotta stub them out like a cigarette..

justapuppetonastring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

I wasn't on it long enough because I had severe side-effects and had to come off it. But then autistics have different pharmacokinetics so probably best not to take my experience into consideration (I'm the one who had severe bradycardia, hypotension and fainting on 20mg Propranolol).

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Thanks everyone. I will talk to my psych about this, which will be quite a while away.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #12
SoDark

I am currently:

been on it for ten years and it saved my life

SoDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
not_so_insig

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDark View Post
been on it for ten years and it saved my life
Can you elaborate on that SoDark. I am glad that it's been a positive experience for you though.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)