RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
***Mark***

I am currently:
Any Advise please?

I have been to see my GP who says I'm depressed and prescribed me sertraline and over the last year my dosage increased from 50mg to 100mg and I'm now on 150mg. I don't feel these are helping though, yes the mood swings are more controlled, but I have gained an awful lot of weight and sweat a lot, especially at night and if I get hot whilst working away I have noticed the sweat smells quite distinctive and noticeable.

I had a meeting with my GP last week and she was reluctant to start to take me off the medication until I have started to see a counselor. I'm not agaist seeing a counselor at all but I have some very good friends who I have spent hours talking to and it has made no difference.

***Mark*** is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
ferretmonster

the thing is im assuming your friends are not trained professionals? you might find councilling helpful, unless you try you won't know. personally i think go for it x

ferretmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
SoMuchMore
-Laura-

I am currently:

talking to friends vs. talking to a professional is not really the same.

counselors/therapists may employ techniques other than just letting you talk in order to help. I think you should give it a chance if you are comfortable with it, you never know!

<3

forgiveness is the release of all hope for a better past
- buddy wakefield

I won't give up if you don't give up

SoMuchMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
starkissed
s(he) be(lie)ve(d)

I am currently:

When i first saw my counsellor at school i was dubious but she helped me so much, i was depressed and was having panic attacks and also was being medicated with diazepam and propanolol. She made me realise why my head worked in such ways and to break it down and techniques to cope, im not saying it was a miracle cure but the depression slowly subsided...i have left school and i think i am slipping again so i am going back to my GP to get referred to some type of therapist again. However every individual is different so its up to you personally how you feel you can cope with depression.

starkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
startingagain

I saw a counsellor and it didn't help, but it was a gateway to other services and so helped in that respect.

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)