RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 31-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:
Advice pls!

So I know no one can tell me what to do but I would like some advice about further education

My dream is to do nursing, but with lack of qualifications and the fact the access course I did was a total failure (ended up in hospital) and the fact that I have a criminal record, it looks like this just isn't going to happen.
Though I was told at a uni interview that I had a chance of getting in with a criminal record if I had no more incidents and could apply again in 2020
I still don't have the entry qualifications anyway
Doing the access course again isnt an option

My other, more realisitc option is to do a health related qualification with the open university that I will probably enjoy. I did study with the OU before so already have some credits

I'm leaning towards OU.
I'm 27 and need to start doing something with my life rather than waiting for the opportunity to do something that I might not even get to do

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

I was just wondering Becky, whether you’ve looked at or considered the nursing associate courses? I imagine the criminal record thing might be the same but I’m fairly sure you don’t need access course to do it (I’m aware this could depend on the trust etc though. When I was working on the wards I worked with a nurse who started as an hca- bank to start with to see how she’d cope and build up getting used to it after a long time off sick. Then went perm, then sponsored to do NA training (and paid whilst she did it). She was doing ‘top up’ to get her nursing pin. A bit of a long winded route I know, but would be again, another way to do it. I’d also highly recommend doing some bank support work when you can (I understand CR is an issue atm) cos it gave me a really good understanding of things ‘from the other side’ for three years before I applied for my nursing, without the pressure of being in set days etc if I was having a **** time.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Pomegranate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Also, what about doing a brew in health and social care or similar to give you a good foundation whilst you’re waiting? Did you ever get your level 2 maths/English sorted?

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 31-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks Emma
I hadn't looked at the nursing associate courses, that's a good idea
I'll look into it!
I'd like to go and do some support work as I'm looking for a job anyway
The criminal record complicates things
People are usually ok once I explain what happened but it's just having the things on my dbs

I did finish my level 2 maths and English so I have those now

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 31-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #5
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

That’s awesome re finishing your level 2 maths and English! Well done!

Just realised my typo- I meant BTEC not ‘brew’ ��

Yeah- have a look. Might be worth speaking to your local uni as well to see their thoughts before applying. I think I know which one that is but won’t post link for obvious reasons re your privacy. There is a contact number on their website though if it is the one I think and I know my uni were really good at talking me through the process before hand.

Also, have you thought about joining any nursing course groups on Facebook? Might be worth posting to see if anyone has been in a similar position re CR. Even if they haven’t though doesn’t mean it’s not possible- just that people might not want to disclose to strangers. But you might get some ideas that way too.

Re MH...you haven’t mentioned it’s a concern for you but just in case, thought I’d point out that prob 60-70% of my cohort have been under services and prob 25% still are (myself included).

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 31-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

And I started my nursing course at 28 . The oldest person in my cohort was 61. She’d been a carer for five years previously and out of work for 20 years before that. Age really isn’t a barrier for nursing, in fact it gives you more life experience. I’m by no means unusual being 31 and training.

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 31-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thank you!

I thought you meant Btec

I'll email my local uni and see what they have to say

Joining the facebook groups is a good idea too

MH is also a concern but I think the criminal record is the bigger barrier to contend with
Thats reassuring though

Thank you for your replies Emma :)

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 31-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Pomegranate
Petulant

I am currently:

Also, NACRO (think that’s the name) have a helpline (and email) you can contact re advice about applying with a criminal record. Had a google and NMC gave guidelines to unis about people applying who have CRs so it isn’t that uncommon

*Proud Plumeria Sister*

Old 31-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks I'll look into that!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I have no advice, looks like Emma has been a star anyway! I just wanted to wish you luck. I believe in you and I know things take a lot of effort and chances given to you by other people but do what you can. I hope there will be some way that you can achieve what you'd like in life.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thank you lindsay <3

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 04-08-2019, 12:04 AM   #12
yoyogirl

I am currently:

How about considering the university of derby for their online degree, so much better than the OU, I did one module with them in July and I wished I did my original degree with them before all of the useless **** ups. They are brilliant, they don’t overly bug you and support is excellent.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #14
yoyogirl

I am currently:

Also if you want to complete a full degree with derby online, their programs are really straightforward in terms of stages to complete majority of the modules are set in stone and you don't have any control over them or otherwise known as the core modules.
This was not clear to me from the beginning an the OU felt like a "hobby" or personal interest and as a result, I lost interest, so on that I would pick and choose degree either with Derby or at a physical institution where you have to go every week
Have you considered doing a general degree first?

Like with Derby, I have chosen Psychology as my back up in case social work doesn't work out
Also enquire with other colleges about access courses as I think derby would require a-levels or access course.
check with them.

Last edited by yoyogirl : 04-08-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #15
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I can't get into a brick uni because I don't have the qualifications
I tried an access course but ended up in hospital so I couldn't complete it
If I could go back and finish it then I would but I can't

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #16
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I know you've already had some excellent advice, but just in case you did look at the OU again, I thought I'd tell you my experience. I've just finished my degree and am about to take an assessment to get onto a Masters. I have no A levels and the OU were really accommodating. They want you to pass, and if you tell them your difficulties they will help. You could maybe do a degree in Health and Social Care (or similar) and then go on to Nursing as a postgraduate?

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #17
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Thanks Elmer
I was thinking that an OU degree could help me onto nursing but I'm not sure how it would work with funding

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #18
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Do all nursing degrees not get funded by the Government because there’s a national shortage? My sister did a second degree in nursing and her fees were paid because of this. She did it in Scotland though so it might be different in England.

The Worst Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #19
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Student nurses used to get a bursary but the government stopped it so they have to pay the usual fees now unfortunately
I think it is still free in Scotland though

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

I found this, and it looks like you might be able to get funding for nursing as a second degree?

It sucks that they scrapped the bursary though.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)