RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 29-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Susu.

I am currently:
Hollyoaks - don't filter feelings

Hollyoaks has been good at highlighting mental health issues recently such as Scotts overdose, lillys self harm and cleos bulimia. I've just read that in the coming weeks Alfie will struggle with schitzoaffective disorder. What do you all think of this? Are hollyoaks raising awareness or are they having too many mh storylines and not taking the time to do them justice? Do you find it trigging? I'd love to hear what the ryl community think!

Ps, I'm in no way hollyoaks bashing, I'm just curious what you think ☺

This is Marvin, He is my Be Safe Bee.

Susu. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
nonperson

I am currently:

I'm not a regular Hollyoaks watcher but I've seen some of the self harm storyline... To be honest I find it all very cringe-worthy - it never seems genuine. It's good that it's raising awareness of mental health issues, but the problem is it has to do it in that awful soap opera way. I tend to roll my eyes at a lot of it!

Maybe I'm just older and more critical than I used to be because I remember the storyline with Lisa Hunter's self harming back in the early 2000s and I thought that was quite good.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head when you say the storylines seem too rushed now and are not being done justice.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
Susu.

I am currently:

so i watched e4's first look hollyoaks last night and it focussed on cleo. my goodness it hit home hard, it's raised alot of thoughts and emotions and to be honest i found it a bit triggering :(
has anyone else seen it? if so what were your thoughts? i think its good to raise awareness but maybe they should have a trigger warning?

This is Marvin, He is my Be Safe Bee.

Susu. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)