Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
-Tough-Cookie-
Life is a contradiction at times - as am I

I am currently:
Self Harm/Self Injury

<Didnt like this forum sat empty>

What do you refer to it as self harm or self injury....or perhaps somethign else?

“Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles.”
----
----

Old 03-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Le Almighty Kitten

Self harm, encompasses everything. Self injury, i don't know, the term just.. annoys me :/

On a slight tangent, i can't stand the term self mutilation being used incorrectly, due to self mutilation referring generally speaking to the likes of amputation, rather than superficial cuts and so, in turn, being something different to self harm/injury.

Good poll though

Old 03-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
strong.inside
still fighting

I can't stand self-mutilation either...just no...way to melodramatic for superficial cuts and that.
I put self harm, as it's the most familiar term to me if you know what I mean. I only really began to say SI after I joined ryl.
xxx

RYL's Kiefer Obsessive Reporting For Duty!
Hope=To entertain or indulge hope; to cherish a desire of good, or of something welcome, with expectation of obtaining it or belief that it is obtainable... [1913 Webster]

Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Paperdreams.
..honey.

I say self-harm. Less syllables.

"When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around.”

Old 03-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Belle.
This Member is currently Banned

I use both terms on different occasions.

Self-harm, as Shona said, encompasses anything that harms oneself. So, this would include self-injury, eating disorders and substance abuse, as well as things like smoking, which involve one person hurting themselves. Although, smoking isn't so much intentional self-harm so I wouldn't turn around and call someone smoking a self-harmer.

On the other hand, self-injury is used to refer to deliberate injury to oneself. By injury, I mean things like burns, scratches and cuts and so I consider self-injury to be a more direct form of self-harm. Although, one could always argue that eating disorders and substance abuse are self-injury because injury is simply defined as any physical damage to the structure or function of one's body.

However, those are the situations in which I use the terms.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Jelly Fairy
A girl's best friend is always a horse....

I am currently:

I agree with Emma - I use both depending on which context it is being used in.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

I agree with the both thing. I call it self harm, but if i shorten it i usually put SI.
*shrugs* tis ok, i already know im a little bit strange.
*starts randomly dancing in corner*

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 03-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
Kaya

I am currently:

Agreed with Emma - but only if I'm talking to someone who knows the difference between the two.

Other than that, it'll usually be Self-Harm.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Stellata

Usually, in therapy, I refer to 'hurting myself' / and 'hurting yourself', if I'm supporting someone.
Though, I do tend to also use the term self harm, or if supporting someone, I'll tend to use the term they use, along with my own terms, if appropriate.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
felix felicis
Beautiful, like a rainbow.

I am currently:

I say self harm, but i usualy put SI if im saying it short hand.

soulmates.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #11
pugdog
Outsider

I am currently:

I usually call it self injury, sometimes I call it 'hurting myself' but sometimes call it by what the act is, be it cutting, burning, ect.. my therapist calls it cutting even though she knows I do other stuff.

-brian

oh, on a side note, sometimes I like to see the replies without voting in the poll, is there a way to disable that? like if you dont know what you think about an issue and dont want to put your opinion because you dont have an opinion of the issue, but want to see others..?

'in the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see'

Old 03-04-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
Kaya

I am currently:

I don't like it when my mum says cutting, like "have you been cutting", or something.

It just sounds so... blunt.

I dunno. I don't mind it coming from anyone else. I'd probably laugh if she said self-injuring, though.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
Starless

I am currently:

^^Same here, I hate it when my parents say things like that. I tend to say self harm, and write SI.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM   #14
TruConfessions
The truth And Nothing But

I am currently:

I use both, mostly self harm... Not sure why as all my stuff done is Self injury... or used to be (on the road call recovery...) I am not sure why... although if I short hand it I say SI...

Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
KillerQueen
Don't forget who you are.

I am currently:

I mainly use Self Harm. However it really depends on who I'm with, and what they refer to it as. But usually it's Self Harm for me.

And I'm another dislike-er of "Self Mutilation". It just sounds blah.

the beauty belongs to the people that follow their dreams

Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
whispers

I am currently:

Self harm *nods*.

I know the difference, I usually just can't be bothered to use it.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Alcohol Induced Altruism
Cheap Beauty

I am currently:

Self harm, but shortened SI. Because harm is easier to say if you are mumbling, which I will be doing, if I am talking about self harm :p

My mum always says "hurting yourself" not you mention it, and it makes me cringe.

Side note: You can see who voted what! Ach. Don't like that hmm.

Hunger only for a taste of justice, hunger only for a world of truth, for all that you have is your soul.
I love BarrelO'Crazy

Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #18
insertnamehere

I am currently:

If I'm talking about myself in real conversation, then I say "thingy" or "it" or something like that, but that was probably because the one person I spoke with SI'ed too, and was easily triggered by words. If I'm talking about myself on MSN or here, then it's SI. If I'm talking to someone else, then I use whatever terms they do, as obviously that's what they're comfortable with.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle. View Post
I use both terms on different occasions.

Self-harm, as Shona said, encompasses anything that harms oneself. So, this would include self-injury, eating disorders and substance abuse, as well as things like smoking, which involve one person hurting themselves. Although, smoking isn't so much intentional self-harm so I wouldn't turn around and call someone smoking a self-harmer.

On the other hand, self-injury is used to refer to deliberate injury to oneself. By injury, I mean things like burns, scratches and cuts and so I consider self-injury to be a more direct form of self-harm. Although, one could always argue that eating disorders and substance abuse are self-injury because injury is simply defined as any physical damage to the structure or function of one's body.

However, those are the situations in which I use the terms.
*steals Emma's reply because she's too tired to write out her own and it's more or less exactly the same anyway*

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 PM   #20
lostdoll

[quote=bitter_angel;1341]I agree with the both thing. I call it self harm, but if i shorten it i usually put SI.
quote]

I'm the exact same. Although deep down I know what Emma says is right, but I'm only technical when it calls for it.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)