Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 19-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:
Uni stuff-confusion

So I don't know if anyone knows about this stuff but not sure where else to turn as I hate emailing people!

So I've been offered a place at uni BUT it's not for the course i want to do. They've offered me a place for a different course altogether, so instead of BSc nursing, I've been offered a place for a foundation degree in health and social care.

I'm not sure what to do or why this has happened.
If I can get the funding I think I might want to do it but I'm not sure how it works with student loans?
Like I don't want to use a loan on this and not be able to get a loan for nursing in a couple of years.
I have tried to google but I can't get my head around it.

So yeah. Not sure what's going on here!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

In Scotland nursing is the only degree you can get 2 student loans for. I know this because my sister did it - did her degree in Accountancy, hated it then went bavk to do nursing. She got her funding paid again and a loan to live off, in any other degree you have to pay for yourself the second time.

I don’t see why that would be different in Emglamd, BUT I’d double check because there are a few differences in uni here compared to England.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Thank You for replying

Looks like I'm going to have to call them about it!

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 19-01-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Also, I’d think about the reasons you want to do the course. If your heart is set on nursing (and from your r/v thread and others it sounds like it is) you’d be better gaining experience in that rather than doing a degree you won’t use.

I hope that makes sense.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
nonperson

I am currently:

I did a foundation degree. =)

I read somewhere that you can get a student loan for 4 years... Dunno how true that is, which means it'd cover your foundation degree and two years of a full degree... or the whole thing if you did the foundation degree and did an extra year to top it up to a full degree.

I know you don't want to but you should phone the uni really and maybe the student loans people too. They'll know the answers for sure.

nonperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I could ask student support if they know anything.
Looks like I will have to end up calling !

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 21-01-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
HopeRises

Congratulations on the offer.

I'm on a foundation degree. I don't really understand why it is foundation as I do the same amount of work (and usually assessments) the people on the actual Bsc. Then next year I top up and I have options to top up onto different things. I don't know how it would work with health and social care and nursing, if your 'top up' can be nursing. Student finance gives you 4 yrs worth of undergraduate but pretty sure it doesn't cover post grad.

Do you have any other offers/ have you heard back from any unis? You could always go through clearing and you might find a nursing degree instead of h&s care but I don't know how that works either.

The national careers service might help https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/ and you will be able to see careers prospect on a h&s care degree.

Life can be beautiful if you let it.
Step back, breathe and take it in

HopeRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Thank you HopeRises
Thats really helpful

I didn't get any other offers.
One of them said apply again in a couple of years.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 24-01-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Definitely ring student finance to find out if you'd carry on getting funding if you wanted to carry on studying to turn the foundation degree into a full degree. But from conversations I've had with them they said before they fund 4 years full time at a brick uni (possibly more because some degrees are longer, like medicine) and it doesn't matter about part time study (like the OU) as it's a different kind of funding (which is how I've done 3 years full time then switched to part time OU and have been studying 3 years so far with them and got 3 years to go)

Can you ring the university admissions people to find out if you did the foundation course, could you go on to do the final year(s) on the nursing course and graduate as a nurse? Because if the answer is yes then I think it would be a good option. But you'd need to clarify about the DBS situation first.

If they say no you can't go on to do nursing, then you need to consider if you want to go to university now but not really the course you want, or if you want to wait a few years until you can apply for nursing again.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Thanks Sarah

I called admissions and all I could get from them is that I would be able to apply for nursing internally after completing a foundation degree. I'm not exactly sure what that means tbh but I was panicking too much and just wanted to get off the phone!
I think student finance will be my next call.

If I can't go on to do nursing after the foundation course then I wont do the foundation course.
I really want to go to uni but to do the course I want to do.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 24-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I think applying for nursing internally means you'd have to do the course at the same college/uni as your foundation degree. Not 100% sure though.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
HopeRises

Like I said, I'm in my final year on a foundation degree. My uni will automatically put me on the top up year in my subject area. I think I need to tell them I'm changing from sports coaching and development to sports development and coaching (how confusing) but apparently not an issue and it automatically happens BUT I can look and apply for other unis through UCAS thankfully my uni is amazing, with great SEN & MH support so I'm staying (we also do nursing degrees ;p)

Definitely check again with your uni choice though about this. The last thing you want to do is not have it totally clear, do the foundation and then realise you can't top up to what you want.

Also I don't know if it would be an interest to you but there are now nursing degree apprenticeships. I don't have a clue how it works but might be worth looking into. The website I linked you too earlier on the thread will have information on this too.

Old 25-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Thanks guys!

I'll have to look more into it I think
Ive got an idea of who to call so I'll have to force myself to do that soon

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 26-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

So I've just spoken to student finance.
I would get full funding for the foundation degree but would then only get funding for my 2nd and 3rd year of the full degree and would have to self fund the first year. He said I would get a maintenance loan, whatever that is.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 26-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #15
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

Again, I'm not entirely sure but I think it's like an educational loan thingy that covers daily living costs that you only pay back once you start earning over a certain amount of money.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

one_step_closer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #16
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

That was my understanding of it too.

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 26-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #17
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Yes the maintenance loan is the money given for you to live on basically, to cover travel, rent, cost of educational materials etc. You repay it back along with any loans covering your course fees once you earn a certain amount of money. They get written off after 30 or 40 years.

It sounds like then you'd need to find £9000 for the first year of the full degree. Would that be something your family could help with?

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #18
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Ah ok.
I thought it would be something like that

I dont think my family would be able to help.
They already pay more than that for my sister's private school so they probably wouldnt be able to do it for me too.
I'm going to talk to my mum about it today.
She usualy has some good ideas

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 29-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #19
HopeRises

I hope you have managed to come up with a solution. What did your mum say about it? I'm a bit confused why they would only pay the 3rd and 4th year and not the 1st yr..surely it would be for your foundation two years and your top up + the first year..but they obvs know what they are talking about, just sounds backwards. Unis are unlikely to waiver tution fees but, you can get a hardship fund and burserys to help with maintinance.

Old 29-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #20
Cacoethes
¡Viva la Revolución!

I am currently:

Looked into all options and I won't be able to go to uni this year.
Which is really disappointing.
But it is what it is

Who else is fine?!?!?

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)