RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2015, 04:17 PM   #21
kdjon

I am currently:

I agree with Sketchy - I'm 33 and started self harming when I was 11. Stopped for ages until I was 26 and harmed for a while, then started again about 1 1/2 years ago. This relapse has been worse than previous but I have the help there that's needed at the moment so am coping ok.
Use the age thing as motivation and try and make it work for you.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
chkymnky36
**Its all about Choice**

I am currently:
Im 38

hey im 38 and i have scars all down my arms, a few on my legs and my stomach. the last time i self harmed was easter when my uncle died (long story) i dont self harm anywhere near as much as i used to but im in your group of 30 - 40 years olds who does have scars xxxxx

Old 12-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #23
Eir
ignoring the cacophony

I am currently:

I'm 29 and have scars. Rarely self harm now unless you count my reasoning for smoking. I'm also one of those "functional" people who are really good at pretending to be normal when either manic, hallucinating or deeply depressed.
What you've written I could have written now. You're not alone

...I try to outsmart him, but somehow he knows,
Wherever I am, that f***ing dog goes... - Dog, Andy Bull

No matter how bad things get, the true test is how we choose to respond to the pain we suffer, or inflict. - Amenadiel, Lucifer

Why is the path unclear,
When we know hope is near
Understand we'll go hand in hand, but we'll walk alone in fear
~~Margo is my penguin 🐧!!! ~~

Old 23-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #24
finding.my.wings

wow...where have you all been hiding?
Im 27 (almost 28) and have lots of scars visible on my arms... i think ive stopped self harming but im not 100% sure.

my scars will fade but they will always be there and weather or not i show them will be a different challenge. I think that as self harm has become more popular (for lack of a better word) then its likely that we will see more adults emerge with scars.

I too dont want to be 30 something with scars and victim of an eating disorder too... the thing it being a victim of any disorder is somewhat of a choice in that you can chose how you let it affect your life and your view of yourself.

The BRAVEST thing
I ever did was
CONTINUING MY LIFE
when I wanted to die.

Old 23-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #25
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupsofTea View Post
You don't see adultier adults with scars... or at least i haven't. Is it because we succumb to suicide?

Statistic show most people grow out of SI before their 30s. Its not too unlike smoking

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Old 26-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #26
nowhereman

I am currently:

I'm 35 and still have old scars. It's been 4 years since I've harmed myself. I have most of my scars tattooed over, hoping to have all tattooed over. That is my personal choice though, I already had tattoos before that. They don't make the scars disappear but take the attention away from them a little.

I still want to hurt myself and worse sometimes, often a lot of the time, depending on what is going on both externally and internally for me. I'm honestly still surprised a lot that I haven't. I guess maybe I eventually became stronger and able to cope without it? Bad things don't stop happening when you get older, you just learn to cope with it better I think, I hope. I guess I eventually realised that self harm doesn't actually help, not in the long run. Whatever problem you have, it will still be there. And we deserve to cope in healthier ways, for our own sake.,

I have no doubt there are people my age and older who still self harm. I hope they will also come to a place one day when they will be ready to stop. I know it took me a long time to get to that place, and everyone will at a different age. I just hope they will.

I regret ever doing it, I hate my scars, but I can't change the past now. I guess I did what needed to at the same, if I hadn't then maybe I wouldn't even be here. I still often wish I wasn't, but I am and I have to make sure the good times outweigh the bad. No, it's not easy, but things do get better, they may get worse again but we have to hold onto the hope that it will then get better again.

What I'm trying to say is, this doesn't need to be your life forever. You deserve so much more than self harm and eating disorders, it's such a shame that so many people can't see that for themselves. But I hope one day you will. Ryl is always here for you, and I hope you can get more help too. Just don't give up, it may seem like a long and difficult road, but you can make it. I hope this helps in some way. I've used the word hope a lot here, well sometimes that's all we have but at least we have that.

Old 27-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #27
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

I work in mental health and I've seen people of all ages with sh scars. It's is common but you right you don't see it as much in older people.

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Old 18-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
Jcam88

Hey, I know it sounds cliche but things will get better. I started SH when I was 15 and I never thought I'd be an adult that SH or has scars yet I'm now 30 and my legs are covered in scars. However until 6 months ago I hadn't SH for 7 years. I have recently been diagnosed with Bi Polar and my medication has made me feel like a whole new person. After suffering from mental health for 15 years I never thought I'd get better and assumed I'd commit suicide at some point. But regardless of your mental health condition, recovery is possible and it will happen. However you have to be forceful with medical practitioners as they can be very dismissive when it's comes to mental health. Can you afford private healthcare?

Old 18-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #29
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Closing due to age.

CupsofTea, if you would like this thread reopening at any point just PM a moderator.

No other sadness in the world would do

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)