RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 19-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:
SI Question - Taking care of scratches *graphic* *now resolved*

I have literally hundreds of scratches covering my stomach and thighs. They feel like they're burning, even though I have put germolene on them, and I'm not sure exactly how to take care of them.

Being as they cover such a large area, it's kinda hard to dress them (although I am open to any suggestions on this!) and there is the added problem that I am mildly allergic to the adhesive used in plasters and medi-tape. Although I do on occasion use tape to secure dressings it tends to cause more problems than it solves.

Is there anyway I can stop them burning (I doubt there's infection as it is way too soon for infection to have set in) as germolene just seems to have made it worse, and how best do I care for them?

Thanking you.

Ruth

Last edited by ((deleted)) : 21-12-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: adding to title

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

Old 19-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Wonderful.
Pathetic.

As they are in a large area and there are lots, I doubt it would be possible to cover them! Unless there is space between them...?
Maybe you could use lots of dressing pads and micropore tape?
I am really not sure, sorry.
Though if you have any savlon or sudacrem, I would use that, because I personally find them more soothing on a burning or stinging area.
Also maybe take some pain killers to ease it up a bit.
And if you are feeling REALLY brave... I recommend you take a bath or shower to take the sting out. Keep them clean too.
Sorry not much help, but I hope somebody gives you a good answer soon!
I hope you are okay and the pain eases soon.
Take care of yourself.
=]

~Beauty without intellence, is a materpiece painted on a napkin.~
Thank you for everything

Old 19-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Animad

Clean them under running water and make sure there is no debris in them. Then add some more cream, the germolene you have been using is fine and try and cover them in dressings for now. The best thing you could probably use is a 'spray on plaster'. You can buy them from supermarkets/ chemists. They prevent bacteria entering in and are protective over a few days. You can use them on scratches and hopefully they will be fine with your allergies and it means not being covered in bandages. However, I don't think you can use antiseptic creams with them and I doubt it has any local anaesthetic properties so it may not be what you want.

If they are only really shallow then you could just ensure that they are clean and keep making sure you apply cream to them every few hours thoughout the day. Something called Lanacaine is a local anaesthetic cream but it can be used on scratches so that may really ease the pain. Expect them to be painful for the next day or two and then they should settle down. Wearing loose-fitting clothing will also help too as nothing will be rubbing against them

Old 19-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Animad

You can also buy rolls of gauze (Can be bought from chemists; Boots/ Superdrug & I think Lloyds Phartmacy def sell it and it is pretty cheap) so if you buy one of those you can wrap it around the area and put petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the inner side of it which will help to keep the area moist (aiding healing) and prevent them from sticking. This can then be held in place with micropore tape or similar (but only something you're not allergic too (have you ever tried Zinc Oxide tape, thats another form of medical tape if you find you react to ones like Micropore (Microporous Tapes)) or you can keep it held in place with a bandage right around your abdomen, loose enough so you can easily fit 3 fingers under it and it is comfy but tight enough so it doesn't slip. As the gauze is on a roll you can cut it to the sizes you need and it will help protect the wounds and the vaseline (or you could use antiseptic creams but it would need to be in a large amount to prevent sticking) will help keep it moistened and so hopefully will help to reduce the pain.

But, yeah, the easiest way is a spray on plaster- you can by Opsite ones from the same company that make Melolin & many other medical products (can't believe I've forgotten the company name!) but there are many different products available. Often called liquid plasters/ spray-on plasters.

Old 21-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
((deleted))
~Ruth~

I am currently:

Thank-you for the replies.
I've been applying germolene every few hours and they feel much better now-I'll have to pick up some of that spray-on plaster stuff when Boots is next open

I react to pretty much all tapes unfortunately Animad-but I'll defo. pick up some gauze when I pop into Boots.

Thanks Again.

xxxx

"Has anyone seen my contact lens? It may be stuckto a tree or a rock or something. Oh boy, I am so grounded" Family Guy
if everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride, we'd see the day that nobody died

!!!! I got lei'd in Vets !!!!

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)