RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 17-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Susu.

I am currently:
Discharge from mental health units

For the past 6 and a half years i have been in mental health units, sectionned and in various levels of security. I have just got my first ever flat and am beginning a gradual discharge and my question, for anyone whos been in this position, is this: what is the hardest thing and change in leaving hospital? How did you cope? What are potential dangers and pitfalls? Any advice for making this change? For coping with being alone esp at night?
All replies and advice greatfully recieved :)

This is Marvin, He is my Be Safe Bee.

Susu. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 24-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I'm sorry, I don't have experience of this so I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say really well done on reaching this point and wish you all the very best with this new chapter :)

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

Not been in the same situation, but have experience being discharged after 2 years in hospital. My advice is to get more and more home/overnight leave so that you build up from a few hours at home to like a couple of weeks at home, to get you used to coping by yourself being independent. I was discharged from my section when I'd not been anywhere alone yet and hadn't even had overnight leave. I got home and fell apart, I was so anxious and developed severe agoraphobia.

Make sure you plan what you are going to do each day, and my advice would be to go outside at least once every day, even if only for a short walk. It's easy to get cooped up but you feel worse mentally when you isolate yourself and don't see anyone.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
Susu.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock holmes View Post
Not been in the same situation, but have experience being discharged after 2 years in hospital. My advice is to get more and more home/overnight leave so that you build up from a few hours at home to like a couple of weeks at home, to get you used to coping by yourself being independent. I was discharged from my section when I'd not been anywhere alone yet and hadn't even had overnight leave. I got home and fell apart, I was so anxious and developed severe agoraphobia.

Make sure you plan what you are going to do each day, and my advice would be to go outside at least once every day, even if only for a short walk. It's easy to get cooped up but you feel worse mentally when you isolate yourself and don't see anyone.
ill try and make a plan every day, today i unpacked my books. i think its tough for me because i have mobility problems so its easier to just not go out.

Old 21-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
koala1983

I am currently:

I have been in the same positions as you are I wont lie it will be hard but make sure you get the right support for you I'm here if you want to talk anytime

koala1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Susu.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala1983 View Post
I have been in the same positions as you are I wont lie it will be hard but make sure you get the right support for you I'm here if you want to talk anytime
What helped you the most?

Old 31-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
i_am_me_again

I have. I was in low & medium for 7 years. I got discharged very quickly & then relapsed very quickly.

I got sectioned & ended up in a medium again. I am now in a low secure & have 2 years before discharge.

All I can say is............take I it at your pace, if you feel you are not ready, speak up.

If you feel like you are going to quickly, say something.

Good luck xx

i_am_me_again is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)