RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
dark_angel1720

Does working full time while in school full time affect GPA?

I know someone working 60 hours per week at her 2 jobs and still maintained a 3.7 GPA. Is she more of an exception or the rule? Because I also have 2 jobs. During fall 2016, I also worked 60 hours per week combined and my GPA sucked. I was also taking 12 credit hours majoring in what I'm good at. So just wondering.

And under what circumstances could ppl work full time and still get good grades. That is assuming that they're also in school full time.

dark_angel1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

They could but it's a hell of a lot harder.

I had 2 jobs when I was at full time university and it was hard. It meant that I had no down time and that's really important when studying (or working). You need time to relax and enjoy time with friends and family to function at your best in my opinion. Well that was the case for me anyway.

But yes it can be done but imagine it would be hard to maintain over a long period (I work 2 job plus full time uni for 9 months - and it's unlikely I'd go through that stress again).

The average,
well-adjusted adult
gets up at 7.30am feeling just plain terrible.

Call me Kate.

I have dyslexia so please excuse my poor spelling and sometimes poor understanding.

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Magen Rylander

It will affect the grades at one point. When I was studying and working at the same time, my GPA's suffered as well. Although, at that time, I was always so positive that I could do both things but unfortunately, this did not work for me.

Magen Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
dark_angel1720

It seems it could only be done if u don't have to study to get good grades. Or if u pick an easy major for you. Neither of that was my case. Yet, a business major gets better job prospects after graduation than whatever is easy for me.

dark_angel1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
Iamcatbug
Cat

There are people out there who are capable of doing both and doing well in both. But there are also people who struggle with both. I'm in the second catergory myself. Which I think is due to a mixture of me being rubbish at organising my time but also because I don't work set hours it makes it difficult to organise my life around work.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
Carmen_Ejogo

I personally struggled with both - I had to work, and with the money, pay for tuition. It was definitely tough since it's stressful and you don't have as much time as the rest of the class to study.
I particularly had an issue with my calculus class. If it weren't for study aids/websites, and my very nice professor, I would've had a really rough semester.
But you know what? What doesn't break you, makes you so much stronger - I learned so much about time management, stress management, life management - it has helped me since.
I look back at those times with fond memories, I was happy I had a challenging and growing experience.

Last edited by tiptoes : 28-06-2017 at 07:15 PM. Reason: advertising
Carmen_Ejogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)