RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-11-2015, 12:42 AM   #221
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I was gonna say Newcastle and was excited that I knew one without googling but Cara out-ninja'd me. Glasgow is a good answer though so I shall let her off.

Cat, I'm going to guess because it's technically in several counties or something?

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 04-11-2015 at 01:02 AM.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #222
Iamcatbug
Cat

Nope. Plus you need to name the actual counties Jenna :P

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #223
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Jesus Christ I do need literacy week, I didn't even see that bit of the question. Someone else answer, I'm off to learn to read :P

Old 04-11-2015, 02:21 AM   #224
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

I would be disappointed in you, Jenna, but this is just the best opportunity for making memes and hopefully I find time to do that tomorrow between uni and work ...

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:23 AM   #225
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

I look forward to having the piss taken out of me :P

Old 07-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #226
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Right, I shall attempt to answer the question. From the top of my head, north, south, east and west yorkshire and also something to do with Riding.

Post-googling- wikipedia says Yorkshire is a county but because it's big it's divided into subdivisions- north, south, west and East Riding of Yorkshire.

I can't find the answer to your bonus question though but am curious now!

For my question: which line on the London underground is only open six days a week?

Old 08-11-2015, 12:19 AM   #227
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

You may like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...ube-facts.html

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #228
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Alas it does not include your fact! (I read all 150)

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

Old 10-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #229
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

I found it! It's the Waterloo & City Line.

Where does the term 'break a leg' come from? (There are a few theories so your favourite two will suffice). Bonus points for the phrase used to wish professional dancers good luck.

Terry Pratchett

Old 11-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #230
Charmed
I'm safe up high.

I heard that 'break a leg' started because it was considered bad luck to wish an actor 'good luck' so instead they would wish them bad luck, and wishing them to break a leg is pretty bad luck!

I don't know another reason for saying break a leg, but Google informs me it came from Greek, where instead of clapping the Greeks would stamp their feet, so if they enjoyed the show a lot they would stamp their feet so hard their looks would break! Quite amusing

Also I you say 'merde' to ballerinas to wish them good luck (I don't know if this is the same for all professional dancers!?), I'm not entirely sure why, but I heard it was because when horses were used for transport, the more populate the ballet the more 'merde' (s**t) would be in front of the theatre. Not sure how true this is though! Do I get the bonus point!? :D

My question: how much of our DNA approximately do we share with bananas?

Have you ever looked fear in the face and said "I just don't care"?

Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #231
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

You get bonus points! *sends Reuben over to enthusiastically lick your face*

Terry Pratchett

Old 12-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #232
Iamcatbug
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Right, I shall attempt to answer the question. From the top of my head, north, south, east and west yorkshire and also something to do with Riding.

Post-googling- wikipedia says Yorkshire is a county but because it's big it's divided into subdivisions- north, south, west and East Riding of Yorkshire.

I can't find the answer to your bonus question though but am curious now!
Yorkshire is a historic county, it is now split into 4, North, West, South and East Riding.

York technically isn't in a county any more even though it is the county town of the whole of Yorkshire. So putting North Yorkshire, which is the county it used to be in makes the address technically invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
My question: how much of our DNA approximately do we share with bananas?
Exactly 50%

What is a Künstlerroman?

Also can someone tell me how to pronounce it before December please.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:33 AM   #233
Serendipity.
fabulous.

It is, apparently, an "artist's novel", a narrative that deals with the growth and development of an artist. And it may (or may not!) be pronounced like this: http://forvo.com/word/k%C3%BCnstlerroman/

Which philosopher is known as the father of existentialism?

"I know you're sad, so I won't tell you to have a good day. Instead, I advise you to simply have a day.
Stay alive, feed yourself well, wear comfortable clothes, and don't give up on yourself just yet.
It'll get better. Until then, have a day."

Serendipity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #234
Iamcatbug
Cat

Sřren Kierkegaard

which country is the most remote (farthest away) place from any sea or ocean?

I will state now, I don't know the answer and can't find it so if anyone can that would be cool!

Old 15-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #235
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

From what I can find it's the point 46°17′N 86°40′E, which is in China, close to the Kazakhstan border.

In Monty Python and the Holy Grail, who plays Sir Galahad?

Old 15-11-2015, 07:50 PM   #236
Sentient Treacle
Foxy lady.

I am currently:

Michael Palin! Ni!

What breed of cat is this?

Oh god I want to hear you say,
I want to hear you say that you were wrong again

This is the first thing
I have understood:
Time is the echo of an axe
Within a wood.

Sentient Treacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #237
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

it's an Abyssinian I think!

*goes away to think of a question*

Terry Pratchett

Old 15-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #238
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Okay: who wrote the allegory of the cave?
Edit: bonus points if you can tell the story and offer an explanation at what he was getting at

Last edited by mikey : 15-11-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Terry Pratchett

Old 15-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #239
Sentient Treacle
Foxy lady.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
it's an Abyssinian I think!
You're right :)

However I don't know the answer to yours, just wanted to congratulate your cat knowledge.

Oh god I want to hear you say,
I want to hear you say that you were wrong again

This is the first thing
I have understood:
Time is the echo of an axe
Within a wood.

Sentient Treacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #240
Indigo.
Wir und die Todten reiten schnell.

I am currently:

I was tempted to say Singapura, but then I realised the fur colour is wrong(i.e. wouldn't be accepted by Fife breed standards, as it needs to be more greyish for a Singapura), and the eyes have a more pointed shape. Without further ado, it's an Abyssinan.

(I used to work at a cat show and know far too much about cat breeds. Funny enough, we didn't really see many of these beauties..).

Edit: It takes me way too long to answer questionssss!!!

Ange, to answer your question, I remember this form my philosophy class years ago, it was Plato who wrote it, and I am quite sure it's a dialogue?? I can't remember properly, will have to refresh my memory.
Yeah, i remembered; it's presented in the form of a Socratic dialogue.

There are some prisoners in a cave, and they are tied so they cannot move. Behind them is a fire, and people carrying objects move back and forth. The prisoners can't see any of this, but the shadows cast by the objects on the wall in front of them; they believe the sounds made by the people behind them are in fact made by the shadows. It is presumed then, that one of these prisoners would be untied and shown this; he would first be blinded by the fire, and would subsequently deny the validity of this 'new' reality.

Afterward, the prisoner is taken out of the cave, and shown the outside world, specifically the sun and the way light casts shadows etc. After an initial shock at the brightness of the sun and this other 'new' reality, he would begin to understand the mechanics of the world. The interesting part is that, upon returning to the cage, the ex-prisoner's eyes would obviously not be accustomed to the darkness anymore, and therefore he may appear 'blind'(initially) to the rest of the prisoners, which would lead them to believe that a journey out of the cave is dangerous, and therefore should be avoided.

It's basically about knowledge, and ignorance, referring to the mentality of 'we've always done it this way', and the aversion to change these people can have, often because they cannot imagine life another way, as their horizons aren't broad enough. The effect of education is then examined, and how the educated look in the eyes of the otherwise ignorant.

My question: what exactly is cultural appropriation and why is it wrong?

Last edited by Indigo. : 15-11-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Clarity

If I only could
make a deal with God.

Indigo. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)