RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 16-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Lyanna

I am currently:
Flash issue

It seems games in the arcade can no longer be played due to flash issue. Will we be able to play these in the future?

Lyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Doubt it as there's nobody here who has the authority to make the changes.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Lyanna

I am currently:

There are no mods here?

Old 16-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #4
Auror.
Camden

Flash is dead as far as I am aware. Adobe no longer supports it. So I'd consider the games dead unfortunately.

There are mods, but they can only handle forum stuff, not arcade stuff and not behind the scenes coding stuff. Nor can they bring back flash from the dead. Alas.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:05 AM   #5
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post

There are mods, but they can only handle forum stuff, not arcade stuff and not behind the scenes coding stuff. Nor can they bring back flash from the dead. Alas.
This.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
Lyanna

I am currently:

Quote:
Flash is dead as far as I am aware. Adobe no longer supports it. So I'd consider the games dead unfortunately.

But they can replace it with some other way to run games, or at least contact someone who can.

Old 17-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #7
Auror.
Camden

Mods have no power to do any type of coding or behind the scenes modifications to the site. And if they could contact someone, I assume they'd want to focus on addressing a lot of the other issues with the site that are more urgent. I understand a lot of people like the games, but I'd assume they're effectively dead. We don't have anyone active or contactable who can change the site itself.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 17-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

Short answer to your question, no. However, all of these games on the arcade are either available as apps or on other sites, RYL isn’t the only place you’ll find them.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
Lyanna

I am currently:

Not even this site? The games are powered by it.

Old 17-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #10
Auror.
Camden

Nobody on here has any control over other websites.

Old 17-01-2021, 11:54 PM   #11
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Thank you to everyone for their excellent responses here, summing up everything there is to say on the matter really :)

It’s a shame the arcade no longer works but at this point there is no option for restoring it. We just don’t have the access to make any such changes behind the scenes. Sorry!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
Lyanna

I am currently:

Quote:
Nobody on here has any control over other websites.
I am confused. What exactly is stopping the mods here from contacting those in charge of that website and asking them to change things?

Oh, well, I guess I'll do so myself...

And done. I've contacted them myself since the mods here apparently can't do so. Will see what they say.

Old 18-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #13
Elmer
Patchwork Elephant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyanna View Post
What exactly is stopping the mods here from contacting those in charge of that website and asking them to change things?
Priorities, mostly, I imagine. There are very few active mods on RYL and they are looking after the site entirely voluntarily, on top of (very) busy work/study/life schedules. It's already a big ask.

It's sad that the arcade no longer works but as has been pointed out, there are lots of places online you can play games.

'It's an impossible choice ... I'll just have to hope that when I flip the coin it somehow explodes and kills me.'

"You're not scared of climbing mountains. You're scared that you can't make them move."

Jenna was here :P

Elmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
Unbreakable.
We can try. We can always try.

I am currently:

Quote:
I am confused. What exactly is stopping the mods here from contacting those in charge of that website and asking them to change things?

Oh, well, I guess I'll do so myself...

And done. I've contacted them myself since the mods here apparently can't do so. Will see what they say.

Spoiler Alert:
You're not gonna get a reply.

the sun

the moon

the truth

Unbreakable. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #15
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
We are in a long term debacle about upgrades to the site that are needed- it is much more than just the arcade that needs some work! Those with the 'behind-the-scenes' power to change things have understandably moved on with their lives and personally I don't think they 'owe' us anything now. They made a wonderful site that served a lot of people very well for a very long time and that was a great thing that they did. They didn't sign up for a life-long voluntary commitment to provide updates whenever times changed and RYL got outdated. Also as far as I'm aware, they put a lot of their own money into making RYL which again is super-generous and I don't think they should feel obliged to do that again to make a new site fit for the 2020s. I do understand the frustration with everything that goes wrong these days, but I also find it a bit rude to demand more now from people who gave so much to create this site.

So yes, there have been attempts behind the scenes to think about the many things on RYL that need fixing if and when someone is willing and able to do it. But no, I'm not going to spend my time harassing someone with a lot on their plate to specifically fix the arcade.

Last edited by Pi.R^2 : 18-01-2021 at 08:01 PM.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #16
The Worst Witch

I am currently:

What is the fascination with getting the arcade working Lyanna, when there are literally millions of specific game sites available? Perhaps if we understood the reason you’re so enthusiastic to do something all the mods and everyone else has said is not possible, we can help better.

Also, Jenna, I 100% agree with what you said. Although it is fristrating, the people who used to own the site may very well by now have what nirmal people call A Life (whats one of those?) and be married with kids etc. Lyanna, you can’t blame them for wanting to spend their money and time with them/the people in their lives rather than on here fixing the millions of issues RYL has now.

The Worst Witch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:34 PM   #17
Lyanna

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
Priorities, mostly, I imagine. There are very few active mods on RYL and they are looking after the site entirely voluntarily, on top of (very) busy work/study/life schedules. It's already a big ask.

It's sad that the arcade no longer works but as has been pointed out, there are lots of places online you can play games.

And guess what? All of those places use Flash too.

Old 18-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #18
nonperson

I am currently:

No they don't.

I just did a quick Google search for games that don't use flash and loads of websites came up.

nonperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:22 PM   #19
Iamcatbug
Cat

Seriously why do you want them working on here so desperately?

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #20
Muir
Chat Mod

I am currently:

The site that powers the games has no control on RYL. Even if they do an update, that update wouldn't be implemented here, because there is no one active with the ability to do so. It would likely also require a lot more work than just updating the arcade, I suspect that there would be a much larger update required in order for everything to work. I think Jenna has explained it very well above. What you're looking for is HTML5 games rather than flash, you should be able to find them if you search for that instead

Muir is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)