RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
offlineforever
Left RYL

Religious imagery/quotes in Signitures?

I've looked at the rules and can easliy see that it is against the rules to push religious beliefs on RYL users. From what I interpret from that rule, it seems to imply that it is just in posts that it is banned. But I was just wondering if it is banned from the whole of the site aswell? i.e- is it also against the rules for there to be religious images/quotes in people's signitures?

Left.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

Having religious stuff in a sig/avatar isn't forcing views on anyone anymore than wearing a cross is.

Or did you mean something else?

Imperfection is underrated.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
offlineforever
Left RYL

I stumbled across a signiture in which i interpreted it to imply that if I followed that religion I would get better because the god of that religion would help me.

Left.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Bellatrix
Voldemort's Bitch

I am currently:

I suppose they may hold that opinion and would like to share it in case it helps others. I overlook things like that because I don't believe/agree. Like when the guy at the shop said, 'god bless' to me. I was a bit like... erm... lol.

Imperfection is underrated.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
pixiedust_11

I am currently:

I don't think having a quote or religious imagery in a signature is meant to be implied that way. The point of the signature is to create something which the user can identify with. I suppose it's down to each individual case, but I'm sure the intention was not to convert or convince you otherwise of your current beliefs.

Do not be dismayed by the brokenness of the world. All things can be mended. Not with time, as they say, but with intention. So go. Love intentionally, extravagantly, unconditionally. The broken world awaits in darkness for the light that is you.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
offlineforever
Left RYL

I'm a bit like that too Jodie, but I was just pondering other people's opinions on the issue.

Left.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
FabulousMike
Proud Union Activist.

I am currently:

I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest.

If someone what's to put something like 'I love God/Allah etc' or want to quote from the holy book that's up to them.

Old 23-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
On.My.Way
Dare To Believe

I am currently:

I'm with Steph on this one. Whenever there has been something Christian in my sig it's to help remind me - I don't want to force religion or Christianity onto anyone because ultimately it's a personal decision.

I'm sorry you saw something that made you think that Katy. <3

For me personally, as already said, having something religious is just a reminder to me - it's not to force my beliefs onto anyone else because we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions - no one is better than anyone else.

QK <3

Old 24-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I have NONE of the enthusiasm for religion, but just wanted to pop by on a vaguely related note to say that I had ALL of the sadness to read a post on a thread in GSA with text hidden, with reason = "religious content". I just felt unnerved by the thought that she'd felt the need to hide it, perhaps because she thought that just mentioning religion was something that was frowned upon.

In other news, if you have a problem with a sig Katy you can always report it. And if the sig is deemed to be legit, you may well get a PM reply to tell you why it's been OK-ed. [This has happened to me in the past when I've PRed stuff, and it's always nice to know that my reports have been considered, and what the outcome of the discussion has been].

I'm aware I've just made a rather long post with no real purpose. Woe.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 24-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
I had ALL of the sadness to read a post on a thread in GSA with text hidden, with reason = "religious content". I just felt unnerved by the thought that she'd felt the need to hide it, perhaps because she thought that just mentioning religion was something that was frowned upon.
This. Let us not forget that we should be open to all people no matter what they believe and they should feel comfortable posting in all parts of ryl.

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Old 24-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Imperfect.Star

I sometimes get a little uncomfortable with overt expressions of religious promotion but essentially that's as much my issue as that of the poster. I think that unless it is truly insulting to your beliefs people should be able to express themselves fairly freely in their sig.

Always seem to get things just that little bit wrong.

"don't wish, don't start, wishing only wounds the heart"

Old 24-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
Emo
OLDER THAN SPACE AND TIME - THE TARDIS

I am currently:

I see nothing wrong with it at all its part of life religion unless you want to be censored with every little thing like this
I post * Religious content* because its a warning to other who might not want to read it if you dont want to read it dont read it
am not making you read it am i

am not forcing my view on anyone else
also there are member that are on the SI Christian thread with sigs that they will say prayers for you if you pm them ...

Old 24-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
whirlpools

The quote in my signature is, I believe, a Christian prayer (usually it has 'God' at the beginning of it). I'm not Christian but find the quote helpful and positive.

Old 24-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

It was your post I was talking about Aamanee actually :) I don't think you should feel like you should hide things with religious content that you post. You're not offensive in anyway, and it's clearly a big part of your life, and you find the Qu'ran and Allah very comforting and it seems almost insulting to you for it to be hidden. Obviously it's completely your choice though, I'm not trying to force you to not hide it!

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 24-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Emo
OLDER THAN SPACE AND TIME - THE TARDIS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
It was your post I was talking about Aamanee actually :) I don't think you should feel like you should hide things with religious content that you post. You're not offensive in anyway, and it's clearly a big part of your life, and you find the Qu'ran and Allah very comforting and it seems almost insulting to you for it to be hidden. Obviously it's completely your choice though, I'm not trying to force you to not hide it!
Thank you ...its just in the past when i have posted people seem to object about the religious content and i dont want to upset anyone...
find at me having Allah in my avatar something positive helps me get through the moment when am not so good ...its very much apart of my life...

Old 25-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
offlineforever
Left RYL

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the input, I've established that I was probably just overeacting to what I read and can see everyone elses point of view on this.

I am closing the thread as the question has been answered and to stop it turning into a massive religious debate.

Left.

Old 25-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
[Purple_Rain]
Forum Mod

I am currently:

closing at thread starters request.

"I would be almighty in my own world of art, even if I had to paint my pictures with my wet tongue on the dusty floor of my cell." -Picasso
"No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war." - Picasso

'I have scars becuase I have a past; but they, like my past, do not define my future'

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)