RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
soft-whispers
Chris

I am currently:
Ramble--Exploring Help

I've talked to my therapist about my issues about sexual abuse in the past, and she's helped in bits but never really returned to them, probably because I really haven't prompted her to. I since have stopped going to therapy but feel like I really should again...it can be beneficial to anyone anyway, but it's a big step to go on my own.
I've recently looked up local support groups/group therapies and there are quite a few, but with very specific audiences that I don't identify with (LGBT+, CSA survivors, etc.). It just makes me feel so isolated and unwelcome. Like what happened wasn't bad enough for my therapist to continuously help resolve, or to have an already established group.
There is one more outlet though, on my college campus. I don't know exactly what that organization does but I do know that they do a lot of community outreach. Part of me wants to go just to check it out, but I'm honestly so afraid of being "deflected" again--like if it's only focused on education or acute support or something. I don't know. I feel lost. But proud of myself that I've come to this point where I believe that I deserve help every once in awhile.

soft-whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
One Hug Given By:
Old 29-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

It's great that you've reached a point where you believe you deserve help- you definitely to deserve help and support to process the abuse that you suffered.

I can appreciate it feeling really disheartening when your situation doesn't seem to fit to a particular group therapy that is offered or when you seek out help and then it turns out they can't offer you what you need. However, try to see that it's not that you're being 'deflected' but that it is being acknowledged that they want you to be supported properly and aren't going to take you on if they think that they don't offer what you need. I think it would be a good idea to approach the campus services- they should at the very least be able to signpost you towards services who can help you, should they assess the situation and feel they aren't the right service for you.

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)