RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
TinaRapson

I am currently:
Plastic surgery for scars?

*Might be triggering*

I'm very insecure about the scars on my arms and legs to the point where I'm in tears over how horrible they look. I even burned over a word I carved into myself before because it was really getting me down constantly having to look at it. I never show them, not even to the friend who knows I self harm. I think they're really ugly and I'm scared people will judge me for them so I do everything necessary to keep them hidden and it can be really difficult to just live normally sometimes.
I also find my own scars triggering sometimes. When I feel like self harming I tell myself that I already have scars so what difference will it make if I add more? And then I always feel guilty after a few months because the older ones don't look as bad and might not have been noticeable but I ruined it by making more.

I was considering plastic surgery to get rid of them if I'm able to stop for a year but was wondering about hoe much it would cost? I'd be happy with just getting rid of scars on my arms but would it cost more to get my tummy and legs done too? Also I have a few scars that I think are hypertrophic scars I'm not sure, they hurt, stick out a lot and are red, would they be able to remove those because I think they're fairly deep?
I live in the UK and I'm in full time education so would I be able to get it for free from the NHS?

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, it's quite late so I'm really tired.

Last edited by TinaRapson : 23-10-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Typos

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly <3

TinaRapson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
lala...

I am currently:

I understand how you feel about your scars, I feel the same.

As far as 'removing' scars goes, I don't think it's possible to ENTIRELY get rid of a scar - however, that does not mean you cannot reduce their appearence significantly! Scars also fade and flatten over time also.

I don't know about the cost of cosmetic surgery but there are other ways to reduce scarring other than surgery that would be more affordable and accessible that you could try first, it just depends how bad your scarring is and how much you're able to afford.

Hypertrophic scarring (raised scars) can be flattened in a few ways. One I've had done is steroid injectiions into the length of the scar. I had 14 injections into my scars two times 6 weeks apart. They're not that painful, and they have worked wonders on my scars, they are much, much flatter and lighter. For me it was about $90 per session, but I'm in Australia, and I got some back with the Medicare rebate. It was definitely worth it.

Another option for just lightening and softening scars, particularly smaller flatter ones, is topical treatments (eg, bio oil, vitamin e creams, lemon juice) which you simply massage into the scars to help them fade with time. Bio oil worked for me on several smaller scars I have which have lightened quite a bit.

I was also given the option to have fraxel laser done on my scars but it can be painful and expensive so I declined for now. Apparently it really helps when used alongside the steroid injections though. It can also work on indented scars too.

I've heard silicone based products also help in fading the colour of scars to a paler tone but haven't tried this myself yet.

Best of luck to you :) x

If you spoke to other people the way you speak to yourself, how many friends would you have?
Be kind to yourself.
You're only human.

lala... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
TinaRapson

I am currently:

I can't afford Bio Oil but I have tried the cheap version called Rescue Oil and it hasn't really done much for me. I've tried vitamin E cream, vitamin E oil, cocoa butter, cocoa oil and lemon juice, nothing seems to make much difference. I'm really considering plastic surgery though because they're really bad scars. I might speak to my GP about it and see if I can get prescribed something for them but I haven't told him that I self harm yet and I'm really nervous about telling anyone else after my first experience. If I was to get the surgery, the one scar wouldn't bother me because people aren't likely to notice it. But like I said I want to be at least a year SH free before I get it done.

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly <3

TinaRapson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
lala...

I am currently:

A lot of the time topical stuff isn't that fantastic on severe scarring so I understand why you'd be looking at other options. It's just that the surgery will be a lot more expensive. I don't understand the health care system where you are though, so perhaps if you can prove that the surgery is for more than cosmetic reasons (eg, that your scars are hindering your recovery/psychological reasons/affecting your life adversely) then you could get it cheaper.
As for your GP, they would be used to seeing self harm I'm sure, and besides, they are required to treat you with respect as part of their job.
I think waiting until you're a year free is also a good idea.

If you spoke to other people the way you speak to yourself, how many friends would you have?
Be kind to yourself.
You're only human.

lala... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #5
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Scar revision surgery is very restricted in the UK for people who self harm (probably bearing in mind the rates of relapse, etc.). It is however available privately (I know BUPA do it) and your doctor might be able to make an exception (or offer you other treatment, like silicone gel) if it is particularly affecting you.

You can remove hypertrophic scars, but there will be a (smaller) scar left in it's place.

There's an old thread here about it.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

talaiporia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
babii.blu.eyes.
So ToGeThEr YeT sO bRoKeN uP iNsIdE

I am currently:

i had skin grafts on both arms for my scarring when i was 6 months sh free..i will still have scars but they wont be as noticable and they will actually look like they were an accident..
i live in australia so it might be different but mine cost $500 (aprox 325 pounds) per arm..so a total of $1000 ( aprox 650 pounds)..
i also have a friend who had scar revission where they cut out the scar tissue on the worst scars and restitched them..you would still have a scar but not as bad..
there is also laser surgery which hurts apparently..and i dont know how well it works..but you would have to tell your dr..and you would have to tell the plastic surgeon who did the surgery..you cant hide it from them if you want their help..

we are broken - we are confused - we are scared..
together we survive - together we make it through..
aNnA~eLiZaBeTh
GeMiNi~BaBy

babii.blu.eyes. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
unmistakably_me
more than you think you are

Agree with Talaiporia, and there's no way they will do it on the NHS if they don't think you've stopped for good - bear in mind that one year free may not be enough to convince them. That sounds harsh, but I don't want you to be disappointed if you've got your hopes up.

Also agree with babii.blu.eyes that if you want their help, you need to be completely honest with them.

You don't say how long you've been self harm-free, but you imply that so far it is less than a year. Some scars take a really long time to fade, so you may find that if you manage to quit, they will eventually take care of themselves - that is not to say they will necessarily disappear completely, but even the most red and raised scars often fade to skin-colour and soften. Surgical interventions are quite a drastic course of action, and you will usually still be left with some form of scarring. It might be worth asking your GP about the possibility of a consultation with a plastic surgeon and seeing what they say they may be able to do, but bear in mind that they may say you are best off leaving them be.

Good luck.

unmistakably_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
babii.blu.eyes.
So ToGeThEr YeT sO bRoKeN uP iNsIdE

I am currently:

also you should probably remember that public health care systems like the NHS normally only do necessary surgeries..not elective..
elective surgeries arent seen as necessary because you could live without them..thats why they're elective..which almost always means you have to pay for them..some of it MIGHT be covered by insurance or NHS..but sometimes none of it..
it sucks..but they cant pay for everything so they only pay for whats actually needed..and while it might be needed for you on an emotional level thats not what they look at..
check it out..see some private surgeons and get quotes maybe..you can always save up for it..

we are broken - we are confused - we are scared..
together we survive - together we make it through..
aNnA~eLiZaBeTh
GeMiNi~BaBy

babii.blu.eyes. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
FightingButterfly

About 8 years ago, I had scar treatment through the nhs that was plastic surgery. I say treatment, because it's not possible to actually get rid of the scars. By the time I had the surgery, I had been SH free for 3 years or so, and they were extremely stringent on this - at the end of the day this is extremely expensive and time consuming surgery, and they don't want to feel like they are wasting resources. Not to mention, it was fairly major surgery, so it wouldn't have been right for me to have had to go through that if I want just going to continue SHing.

I'd spent a long time using vitamin E oil, beforehand. Which does help - but you need to be patient. I also used silicone sheets, which again needed commitment because they're relatively thick, and I had to hold them in place over my arms using tubifast. But I persevered.

They gave my the surgery on the nhs because my scars were becoming seriously detrimental to my mental health. It was really affecting my confidence, making me feel quite depressed, and aggravating my anorexia.

I had 4 operations in all. It should have been 3, but one of them didn't take properly and had to be redone. The skin on my arms was taken off (full thickness) "punctured", then rotated 90 degrees and put back on. So it was officially a full thickness skin graft, but it was the same skin. My surgeon said to me that grafting from another site would just give me scars elsewhere, and given the fact I had to cover my entire low forearms both sides, this would mean finding a considerable amount of spare skin on my body. The overall effect on my arms afterwards made them look much more like burns scars rather than SH, and I was pleased with the result even tough it was very gruelling.

8 years on, my attitude towards my scars, and my past SH issues,mare very different. Now, I don't think I would have even had the surgery. If I could turn back time and have perfect skin again, yeah sure I would! But back then, I was ashamed, and I'm not now. It was part of me and what I went through and it was a very difficult time, but I learnt a lot and I'm better now. People don't even notice my scars - one of my consultant psychiatrists didn't even notice my scars for over a year, and I'd often worn short sleeves infront of her! And she's trained to notice these things!! I'm certain I told her when I initially told her when I met her that I'd SH'd I'm the past, but she concentrated entirely on my anorexia and when she discovered my scars a year down the line she was shocked!

Anyway I digress. Right now you need to concentrate on becoming SH free and developing other coping mechanisms. Continuing self care for your scars, and persevering with them. Your attitude towards your scars will maybe change, when you realise it was your past, and you can realise that you are proud that you overcame it.

If not, you can revisit the idea of surgery.

Hope this helps xx

FightingButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

Also, scars are still healing for years and years. They are only completely healed when they go flat and white and if they are raised and red still, the chances are that there is alot of healing going on still.
I have 'extensive scarring' to my lower left arm. These scars are over a year old now and the only thing you really notice about my arm is the dents in it. Alot of my scars even I can't see anymore. So they are really not very noticeable at all. I have done nothing too them apart from put suncream on them a few times but that is not often.

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Scaredy-cat
I am the very model of a modern major general

I am currently:

As you want to wait a year, and might be asked to wait longer anyway, its possible that your attitude to your scars might change. They will fade, and im hoping that you will come up with something healthier to do, so you might feel better yourself

He was no longer jean valjean but no. 24601 -les miserable

Some of life's mysteries will never be solved, such as why, after spending an entire evening listenong to Bach, do I find myself humming "the birdie song".......

I am reaching, but i fall, and the stars are black and cold, as i stare into the void of a world that cannot hold- les miserables

Scaredy-cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)