RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
~Kaytee~

I am currently:
General psych ward experience (for an ED)

Hey :)

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a general psych ward for their eating disorder? Just wondering if it's okay, for some experiences? Thanks :)

Jake- my superman <3
Helen- my amazing star <3

~Kaytee~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Siouxsie

I am currently:

I was in a general adolescent unit when my ED was at its worst but that wasn't the sole reason I was admitted.

I saw a dietitian from the ED ward opposite us && got given a meal plan which they were strict about me following, especially when my physical health deteriorated. I got the choice of eating at the table with the other patients/staff or in the INA lounge, but at mealtimes and the hour after I was on 1:1 obs. When I refused to eat anything at all I was given Fortijuice (which tastes disgusting!). I remember getting "threatened" with being "sent across the road" and when I was very ill they considered tube feeding but luckily that didn't happen. I think I was weighed once a week like the rest of the patients. For a general psych ward I think they dealt with my ED very well (even though I resented them so much sometimes).

Sorry if that's no help.
x

Siouxsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Buttercup.
loveeeeeee

I am currently:

I've been in a general psych ward for my ED (and other things) many times. Basically, the day was structured with groups: DBT/empowerment, self esteem, relaxation, yoga, nutrition, wellness recovery action plan, addiction groups, anger management, etc. There were also recreation groups like arts and crafts, rec room, library, pottery, gym, etc. Because of my ED, I was not allowed to go to gym group.

At the beginning of my admission, I was refusing to eat or drink. So I was tubed and put on bed rest. It SUCKED, I don't recommend going that route. Finally they removed the tube when I agreed to drink Ensure instead.

I was required to drink at least three Ensures a day (in front of a mental health worker to make sure I drank it all) and my meals were monitored by a mental health worker who would sit with me and encourage me to eat. If I did not eat at least 50% I would have to drink another Ensure. I was also on something called hydration therapy. Every two hours I had to drink 180cc (I think) of water or juice.

I was not allowed to go to the bathroom for thirty minutes after meals. And even then, I did not have bathroom privacy and had to have a mental health worker standing outside the door cracked open.

I was weighed every other day and was not allowed to look at the scale. And the medical doctor checked in with me everyday to check my physical well being and vital signs. I had bloodwork done weekly and was given many different vitamins and supplements. A nurse would take my vital signs every four hours.

I also saw a dietician a few times. We would work together to come up with a meal plan that would be well balanced (that I would actually eat). I also was usually given double servings at meals, so I had to try to eat more.

That is my experience! I hope this helps a bit. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Jess x

I wanna stay inside all day
I want the world to go away

Buttercup. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
~Kaytee~

I am currently:

Thank you both so much for the responses. It has helped heaps as it may be where I'm heading as I'm not in the right 'area' for the EDU further south. So I've wanted to know what it is like in a general psych ward for an ED. I really appreciate the replies :) Thank you :) I may have more questions which I'll come back to later. But thanks again x

Jake- my superman <3

Old 18-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
~Kaytee~

I am currently:

Okay, I'm sorry, but I do have a few more questions... especially in regards to the difference of being admitted voluntarily and involuntarily and what the differences are (if anyone knows). I'm thinking of going in voluntarily though but I'm just going to see how i go over the next few days before I see the psych again.

Also, when you do go in, what's allowed in regards to contact with people? What are you allowed to bring in?

I really should have asked these yesterday at my session >.< Sorry if I'm being a pain but thank you in advance if anyone can help ^_^

Jake- my superman <3

Old 18-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Buttons.
Never knowing...a helping hand or hell to pay?

I am currently:

Contact varies from unit to unit, in mine I was allowed my mobile but I know of other places that don't allow you to have your mobile they just have a general use phone. There will usually be set visiting times as well, although again, so long as it didn't clash with meals/therapy my unit didn't really care.

You won't be able to bring in anything sharp such as razor blades (obviously) or keep any medication on you (again obvious reasons), and some units also put limits on things with wires such as Ipods etc. In the more acute settings there are more limits on what you can bring, but it doesn't sound as though you would be placed somewhere like that at present, especially as you are considering going in voluntarily.

'Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.'

['There is only one thing we say to death. Not today'.']

'We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell.’ – Oscar Wilde
‘It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back.’ Sydney Carter

Buttons. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)