RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 04-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
my name's helen

I am currently:
Anyone know how to get oil paint out of clothes?

So yeh, I got oil paint on my good top
Its been washed in the washing machine which didnt get it off (i didnt think it would). Anyone know what i can do to get it out?
Thanks, Helen.

my name's helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
zirkmask

I am currently:

There are a few things that might work.

I would suggest hand sanitizer, hairspray or rubbing alcohol. Try one or all of these and use a toothbrush to try and get it out.

I hope this helps.

zirkmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
lawrie
*smiles*

I am currently:

white spirit sometimes works, but it's better if you haven't washed it yet.

if that doesn't work try swarfega:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...s/clhaswa1.jpg
you can get it in hardware stores.
rub it into the stain thoroughly and leave it for as long as you can, then scrub it out with water.

...to be honest though it might be bad news, i've ruined LOADS of clothes with oil paint, and only rescued a few of them.

you could also try painting over, but obviously you have to get exactly the same colour as your top, and depending on the material and the size of the stain, it might just look rubbish!

hope that helps, good luck!

If I had put enought trust in her...

lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #4
Secret Mind

You're supposed to put hairspray on it right after you've gotten it on u. It keeps it from settling i guess? Idk. That's just what i've been told, and it's always worked. But since you've already washed it./..id on't know

Secret Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
perfection is a flaw

from experience only white spirit or bleach work but they can ruin your clothes

perfection is a flaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Abintra
This Member is currently Banned

I am currently:

i use terps

Abintra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #7
SuJo

IT WORKS!

Hi there - I registered just to be able to tell you that the hairspray tip really works! Thanks so so much.

My daughter got loads of oil paint on her new christmas clothes (she went in to her teenage sister's bedroom and scraped a cardigan across three colours of paint). That soon spread to her trousers. I sprayed it with Elnette hairspray until the stains were wet through. 15 minutes later I covered the stains in white spirit and rubbed the worst bit with a toothbrush. After that I washed the clothes. Fab - not a stain in sight.

Would never have thought of hairspray in a million years - fab fab fab thankyou (now all I need to do is get the smell of the white spirit out of the clothes!

Happy New Year - 2010 - to all

SuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
cinberko

hairspray

I accidently ruined a jacket with oil based paint last winter. I was at school during the holidays (I'm a teacher) and accidently rubbed up against a freshly painted door in my classroom. This left a big white strip of paint across the arm of my beautiful wool jacket. I didn't know what to do, so sadly I put the jacket in the closet and left it until this morning.
I had a look on this website and decided to try one of the ideas to use hairspray and an old toothbrush, IT WORKED!!! I sprayed the stain until it was very wet with hairspray and then gently brushed the spot until it appeared to come clean. I then washed my jacket on a gentle wool cycle. The bits of paint seemed to come right off! I am so pleased. I now have a saved jacket and some extra money (as I don't need to replace it). Thanks again.

cinberko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
SirEffinBarsteward
The one, the only....

I am currently:

With the help of google;

"You get the oils out of your clothing with oil. That is if it hasn't oxidized yet. If for instance I do get some of my oils on clothing that it isn't supposed to be on I take off the apparel and immediately spot clean it with linseed oil that has a low viscosity. When I am satisfied that I have the majority of it out then I use a more mild oil of even lower viscosity like WD 40 to remove the residual of linseed oil and pigment. After that, I wash the spot in detergent soap to rid the garment of the oil. Detergent soap is designed specifically to remove oils and grease from the dishes, so it works well in cleaning up the oil. Then I put the whole garment in the washer.
It is a long way of doing it but it works without damaging the material, and it is safe to use.
If the paint has already dried then I relegate the garment to the studio as a work shirt or jeans. It's easier to earn the thirty dollars to buy a new garment rather than spend a whole lot of my time cleaning cured paint off of my clothes"

Alternatively; http://www.ehow.com/how_4898080_remo...-clothing.html

Last edited by SirEffinBarsteward : 05-10-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link
SirEffinBarsteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Just Jesse
Just Jesse.

I am currently:

Turpentine works a treat.
Pretty much fool proof.

She was not what you would call refined. She was not what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -Mark Twain.

Just Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)