RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 18-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Psiren
Apathetic without the 'A'

I am currently:
Overdose/ Self-Poisoning Question - How Late is too Late

to go to A&E?
I OD'd last night, not a particularly large one but yeah.
Drifted off for a bit. Woke up, boyfriend made me puke (via the internet, he told me to). Went to sleep, woke up this morning.
I feel like ****. I puked (involuntarily) green/yellow goo this morning. I still feel really sick. But I don't want to waste the doctors time.

I was going to go to A&E lat night butI was scared. and my boyfriend told me to puke and sleep it off.

Old 18-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
crazykat
Fight for another day

You need to go to the hospital to make sure there hasn't been any damage and possibly even be given an antidote. I would be going there ASAP

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

Old 18-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Psiren

I am currently:

It's been over 12 hours. Would the damage not already have been done?
I don't want to waste their time

Old 18-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Frail Existence
Wide awake.

I am currently:

I od'd the other day, not exactly on purpose though, but you should go! You would not be wasting their time. I promise. Their job is to help, treat, and diagnose their patients. You need to be helped and treated just in case. You would be helping them do your job more than anything! Please at least consider the possibilities of what could be wrong and makke the decision to go and get checked at the minimum.

Old 18-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Sleepless123

I am currently:

i am only a member here not a First Aid Advisor but i agree with the others that you really need to go to A and E if you havent already. You would never be wasting the doctors time and you need to go.

They will be able to check if you have been damaged and may still be able to stop any damage with an antidote etc.Either way you will be in the best possible hands if you go to the hospital.

Also i am sorry this has happened and it clearly means your not in a good place emotionally too and it may be that the hospital can arrange more support in that respect too if you would like it.

im sorry youve been feeling so bad and i am thinking of you.i know it can be so hard to go to the hospital sometimes but please do go and get the help you both need and deserve.

Good luck.

xx xx

i do not always manage to be around but i wish you all the very best - love and luck to you all!

Old 18-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Animad

Going to A&E will NOT be a waste of your time, I would strongly suggest you go. They can still do tests on to see if that cause a significant amount of damage quickly and if it did then these will show up on bloods and the hospital can still help to improve the situation by doing things like putting you on a drip if needs be if say it was something that's damaged your kidneys a bit. They can also assess you as a whole and see if theres damage elsewhere and also the psychological reasons that lead you to doing this that also, alongside the physical components of an OD do need to be looked into.

In the future, if you're thinking about going to A&E then go. Don't get advice from someone like your boyfriend about what they think is best (unless of course they are a qualified doctor/ some nurses and have worked in that field relatively recently (ie not just gone into psychiatry/ gynaecology... yrs ago)) as that can lead to a lot of damage and tbh the advice you were given is not what I would've said at all (or what is in the articles on here). Making yourself vomit after an OD means that if you do later go to A&E then the amount of the substance that will still be left in you will be unknown as you won't bring everything up and therefore the toxic effect won't be known. Even more of a problem, vomiting can cause increased damage with some ODs etc and can end up burning the whole of oesophagus, throat as well as your mouth and potentially nose and causing MUCH greater damage than it may hae done anyway. As well as that, some meds don't actually really leave your body via you vomitting and so all that will do is get rid of a lot of the electrolytes and destabilise those in your body and leave the toxin inside of you. As well as vomiting, 'sleeping off an OD' is a bad thing to do unless you have been advised to do that by someone who knows about this sort of thing and you have someone around to monitor you. This is because when you are asleep it is easier for you to fall unconscious or to start seizuring than if you are awake and so can increase the danger so if you OD in the future then I'd advice you not to follow this.

Old 20-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Psiren

I am currently:

Thanks for the advice. :)
I'll bear that in mind if I ever OD again (hopefullynot! but yeah >.>)

Old 20-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
UnanimousAnonymous

I am currently:

Katie hun, you should go. Please? just go get checked out??
You wont be wasting their time, last time i did it, i didnt go until the next day.
Please?
im here if you need anything
<3
xxx

Through the dark, a strand of light, the light continued to get bright, with it came the strength to fight (Gem)

Old 20-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Gone.

On Thursday I went to A&E. It was 18 hours after my overdose and they kept me in overnight. I was told that this was fairly unusual so they must have been worried and I mustn't have been wasting their time. That means that it's not too late for you to get checked out, especially as you have such adverse symptoms. It's better to be safe than sorry, right?

I hope you get seen to.

Left.

Old 20-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
xlaurenx

I am currently:

I have turned up late to A&E, two days late and they put me on a drip for 24 hours and i was there overnight, please go.

Old 20-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
when.will.it.end
{Katie}

I am currently:

I agree with the others, you should still go to A&E.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world;
its the only thing that ever does.

Old 21-03-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
FixMe19
Holding onto patience wearing thin.

I am currently:

Even though vomiting is good , you should go a and e to be on the safe side .. Depending on the levels of whatever you od'd on in your blood ? You might need treatment .. Your bf gave you wrong advice ! Any OD , big or small , requires medical attention ..

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)