RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-07-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
Voldemort

Quitting smoking

Hey all! I want to quit smoking cold turkey as I feel I’d manage that better than gradually cutting down but I’m worried about gaining weight as I do so.

I quit for 6 months five years ago and gained a load of weight but it coincided with a meds increase so I’m not sure what contributed more. Anyhoo I found it really difficult to lose the extra weight back then and I physically cannot afford to gain any more right now so tips and tricks appreciated!

Side note, I’m following a pretty decent meal plan right now and don’t intend on deviating from it so hopefully that will help. Also I’m not a nicotine craver, it’s more habitual so it’s looking for something to do whilst watching tv that’s not eating I guess.

Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 05:43 AM   #2
Auror.
Camden

I'm no expert and I've never smoked so this might be useless. But if it's a habit thing, can you pinpoint what it is about it that you like? Is it holding it, smell related, having something to do with your mouth etc.? Maybe if you know what it is that you like, you can work on maybe finding other things that do similar, like chewing gum, or fidget toys or scent type of stuff?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Voldemort

Definitely not a scent thing, they stink! I think it’s a hand and mouth thing. Fidget toy is a good idea and I have a few of them. I’m not big on gum but maybe it would be an opportunity to try and make sure I’m drinking enough water because I just don’t right now and if I sip on that it might help? Idk. Grasping at straws I think.

I was doing some research yesterday and apparently nicotine stimulates your metabolism so as soon as you quit it goes a bit banjaxed. I’m just going to really focus on eating healthily and exercising and hopefully I won’t gain too much.

Voldemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Auror.
Camden

They make chewable fidget toys too! You could look into some of those? You could also look into doing some type of hand craft like knitting or sewing, etc. to keep your hands busy?

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
yoyogirl

I am currently:

You can do it :) keep on going.

Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60's. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted.
I know what it's like to want to die. How it hurts to smile. How you try to fit in but you can't. How you hurt yourself on the outside to try to kill the thing on the inside. I tried groups, didn't work out just made my depression a lot worse.

yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)