RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #61
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Because psychiatrists do lie, if you don't believe what I say - not my problem. I posted "is anyone else anti psychiatry" not come and try and put me down or shut me up just for realising the truth - back off.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #62
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Everyone lies

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #63
Stellata

Sometimes, I agree a lot with RD Laing.
But that's just one bunch of truths out there.

I take anti-depressants to soothe things, and so that I am less tangled up so's I can work through stuff. Medication has never numbed me. If it did, I would question it. I still feel the full range of feelings on my medication, in fact I feel MORE. True story. I feel safer to be less dissociated and shut off from everything.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #64
TheColdOne

I am currently:

I may stand alone on this thread but I couldn't care less. Psychiatry is ruled by quacks and their fake diseases. At least I know what goes on even if no one else will listen. I can see this must be quite entertaining for you guys to watch me try and reply to you all trying to shut me up. No one has to reply to this anymore - I said again - are you anti psychiatry - yes or no answer is fine.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #65
beautiful_seclusion

I am currently:

I think being anti anything without room for gray areas is a red flag. I do think some of your posts are coming through a little paranoid, but it's impossible to know over a forum. Do you have some close friends you could discuss your feelings with? Maybe someone you trust more than doctors?

All that being said, I do agree medication can cause harm beyond the listed side effects. It harmed me for over three years, making me delusional, paranoid, suicidal, and unstable in both my mood and my emotions. I was convinced I was ill in a way I actually was not. I finally quit the medication, only because I thought it was not working, only to realize all the problems that had developed over the course of being medicated went away. However, I would like to emphasize that I in no way believe this was intentional. It was due to very poor care, misdiagnosis, and the reliance of American doctors on medication.

I do believe that pharmaceutical companies influence doctors, but not in the sinister ways you describe. And I don't think it occurs in the UK, since you do not pay for medical care there. Here, pharmaceutical companies do push for doctors to use their drugs by giving them free things and so forth. This makes them more likely to choose drugs subconsciously that they have had companies push to them, rather than objectively looking at all the options. It's more that they are influenced by the presence of various drugs, not that they are trying to harm anyone. Also, it doesn't help that psychiatrists no longer do much more than meds. I think they get so used to prescribing, that they never consider that maybe the answer is no meds. I also agree that psychiatry and psychology, at least in the US, over pathologizes normal human experiences. But I think this is not intentional, but rather from adopting a mindset that every problem must have a name.

Also, some medications do work. I was misdiagnosed as bipolar, and the medications they gave me did induce serious mental illness in me that was not otherwise there. It baffles me that doctors do not appreciate this risk, even though black box warnings have become common. I think they forget how hard it is to figure out what is the person and what is from medication once the meds are started. I had a doctor say those warnings were relatively rare, even though I had a classic black box warning reaction in addition to the years of meds making me much worse. However, the problems that I had that caused me to seek help in the first place were due to ADHD and PMDD. The latter I can control with diet and exercise. The former I cannot. Taking a very small dose of Ritalin has dramatically helped my symptoms. I may not take it forever, but I most definitely can tell if I have forgotten to take it or not. And people who have classic depression, bipolar, and schizophrenia, are very helped by meds. The problem is in my opinion that many people do not have a classic form of the disorder or are being mis- or over-diagnosed. And my problem with psychiatrists is that they often diagnose very haphazardly and refuse to admit that medication can cause mental illness as much as it can help it. Meds are helpful to those who need them. But they are potentially dangerous to those who don't.

Also, while most psychiatrists know much about meds, in the US, they do not know much about neuroscience, i.e. the biology behind mental illnesses. I am in the science field, pursuing a phd in neuroscience. And most people I've met that do neuroscience research know that meds can work but that they also are not ok for everyone. And that there's still a lot of unknowns about brain chemistry, which I've seen psychiatrists seriously underplay. The research studies teally are sound and unbiased, and scientists are not allowed to be connected to pharmaceutical companies in any way. But the problem is that the studies can't apply to every human. Because mental illness diagnostics are observation based, its harder to control than as say a study on high blood pressure. There is no blood test for mental illeness, just generalities in brain chemistry. The chemistry is also so hard to study that most studies are also observation based, particularly at the clinical level. So they will show trends as far as helping people, but it's hard to study how meds affect people who don't need them from being misdiagnosed. Then you put that into the hands of psychiatrists who don't seem to understand these pitfalls, and you get meds handed out way too easily and to people that do not need them. Add on top of that, its hard to correctly diagnose people when all we have is observation to diagnose mental illness.

So it's not a conspiracy, just a very poor system. And it's worse in the US where money is more involved. Meds should be a last resort, and their dangers to mental health should be better appreciated by psychiatrists. Studies are not precise enough yet, although it is obvious they do work for some people. We need much more caution, but not an entire stop sign if that makes sense.

I do think though, that you should share your thoughts with a close friend or family member and see if they think your behavior is alarming. Ask someone who has no bias in your mind, and be open to what they say. If you do have schizophrenia, it's very hard to know when you are ill. And meds may help if your are. So try to see if you can find someone you trust and give their opinion a chance. If they are worried, you really should see a doctor, as being ill is scary and dangerous. We can't diagnose you on here, and I do agree there are serious problems with psychiatry. But your unwillingness to see that meds do help some people or to consider non malicious reasons for psychiatry's problems makes me think you may be more ill than you realize.

Stereotypes are the epitome of human laziness.
- me

Old 05-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #66
Stellata

I'm a human being. That's who I am. I am not bound by any medical opinion of me, as nothing's ever been enforced on me in that way. I am my own person. I work on my feelings, I take a medication. That's what I do, that's how I manage, how I go out to work, how I venture more out into life. I accept my feelings got crushed in various ways from very early on. I know that this resulted in deep lasting depression that I am working damn hard to understand and untangle.

Sometimes people are that unsafe that they need a place of safety, whether that be staying with a friend/family, being in hospital, being in a therapeutic community of whatever persuasion. It's all relative.

It sounds like the system has hurt you a lot?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #67
TheColdOne

I am currently:

The system has destroyed my life, i'm not schizophrenic - they labelled me that because i'm one of the few who can see exactly how the system works.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #68
Stellata

How did you get ensnared in?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #69
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Stellata: I was told at a young age I was going to a lovely place that will help me get better. I ended up in a standard mental hospital and was neglected and abused by the system for months. And that was no where near the end. I will always detest quacks and their poison regardless what what anyone says.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #70
Stellata

What happened that they thought you unwell and needing to get better? How old were you?

When I was around 9, my father threatened to send me away to some kind of psychiatric hospital, have me put in a strait jacket, locked up, and the key thrown away. By the grace of God/Goddess/whatever, that never happened. But I understand some of where you're coming from. And I know that places like that existed in the 70s, for children. They may well do now, though I would think increasingly less. I don't know how old you are.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #71
TheColdOne

I am currently:

I'm 18. I was 12 when I entered the living hell that is psychiatry. Yeah they thought I was ill, they all do cos I don't trust them. I want to believe i'm helping people not fall victim to psychiatry, not causing any trouble. At least the intention is good even if it's not seen that way.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #72
Stellata

Why did they think you were ill?

Things can be bad, I agree. But it's not all that way.

Things have changed a lot since my Grandad [rest his soul] was a nurse in an old Epsom asylum in the 40s.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #73
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Things have changed, I don't think others understand how awful psychiatry can be unless they've actually been subjected to the bad things involved. They thought I had paranoid ideas and manic depressive tendencies and on the autistic spectrum amongst other things

Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #74
Stellata

What were your parents' thoughts in all this?

It sounds quite frightening.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #75
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Not a lot they could do about it really. Doctors have the power at the end of the day. Psych wards are frightening, especially secure.

As to everyone watching the thread - shows over.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #76
Stellata

Were they concerned about you? Have you ever talked about all this with them?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #77
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Yeah they have been concerned for a while, i've had years of psych services but this belief about doctors and the way they get their money has troubled me for weeks.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #78
Stellata

Isn't life all about power struggles in one form or another anyway? And anywhere where there're the more vulnerable, it's all the more troublesome, I know..

Old 05-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
TheColdOne

I am currently:

stellata: Thankyou for understanding and not trying to put me down

Is it time for more popcorn?- viewers of the thread?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #80
Stellata

Any time. :) I understand some of the terror [that's the word I would use, though you may have a different word], even if not entirely in the same context.

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)