RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Snow white - fair enough. Name me one drug that helps people in any way at all and not just based on a doctors lies. Then research that drug for proof. Heard of big pharma?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
Snow White.
I am a fairy.

I am currently:

Darkpelt I'm not here to try and change your mind, I just wanted to post so that other members could see there were two sides to this coin. I have just researched a medication that is common in depression and found six randomized controlled trials showing it's efficacy (ergo, it helping), but that is all I will say on this matter simply to prove there are different sides to this debate, so that members reading this can make an informed decision about medication.

Good day to you, I hope you are okay.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
TheColdOne

I am currently:

It's pointless really no one will listen why should they when the precious doctors have assured them otherwise. It's all fraud.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #24
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Hi there. I notice you're in Kent, so your care would come under the care of the NHS. The nurses and doctors in the NHS aren't paid for medications; in fact a great deal of pressure is placed on them to minimise the amount of medications given (unless genuinely needed) because it costs them money (not us). So, the only people who make money out of medications are the drugs corporations, not the prescribers. Now, in the UK it's illegal for them to pay doctors to prescribe a medicine (not so much true in the USA) and so there is no incentive to prescribe a medicine.

Just to clarify, when you say anti-psychiatry, you're only referring to the medication side of things, not the talking side of things? Would you like to tell us why you're so against medication?

I would have to say, I take medication. And I hate taking medication. But it makes my quality of life so much better that I'm not just going to stop.

It doesn't matter where you come from; it matters where you go.
No-one gets remembered for the things they didn't do.
We won't all be here this time next year,
so while you can take a picture of us.
We're definitely going to hell,
but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Forced treatment in general whether it be forced drugging or hospitalization anything like that. I am against medication because it harms the body. I am on antipsychotic medication (which is unecessary in my case) and it is causing me a lot of physical health problems and probably the same goes for whoever else is on it. Doctors say psychosis? Is that a real reason to inject someone on no proof just say so. And also I know doctors are making a profit out of me being locked up - my service payed the doc to keep me in longer. Idiots their all the same. No ganging up please I know the truth

Old 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
SoDark

I am currently:

I am so frustrated by this thread. We come to this site for support and to learn from each other, not force our ideas on one another. I am sure that there are other places on the internet where you can do what you are doing.

I have to say, I have never been a fan of medication. I think that I was that way from a young age. However, people all over the planet have medical conditions that require medication to function or even to survive. Most have some negative side effects. A fact of life!

From age 15-21 I was in and out of the hospital, self-injuring, multiple suicide attempts and impulsive dangerous behavior. At this point, I have come to terms with the fact that I have a serious mental illness that needs to be treated with medication. I was on again off again for years with no success. Today I am successful, finished school, and about to start my professional career.

You are entitled to your opinion and if you want to have a civil conversation about the risks and benefits of medication, fine, but don't attack people for believing that medication works for them.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Frustrated - you can't handle the truth. Not forcing ideas either. The whole point was to see if anyone else understood what was going on in the system clearly you don't. Yes other people have proven medical conditions that need medication. However doctors make up diseases based on normal human behaviour and prescribe drugs to suit the symptoms. There is no proof that this medication does anything but harm. This is why so many doctors get so much money.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkpelt View Post
A lot of them are in it for the money - you might get a few that aren't but thats very few and far between. They don't drug prisoners though - and they are violent criminals. Why drug people who are risk to self - it really does make some people worse and physically ill things like that haldol stuff. It is so big this industry, we can't stop it happening :(
They do drug prisoners.
And they don't always drug people who are a risk to themselves.
In NHS wards, they tend to drug people more. Private hospitals they don't drug people so much, which is odd as private hospitals are pretty much all about the money.

I was in a forensic unit once, for about a year (a unit for people who had committed serious crimes due to mental illness therefore prison would be unsuitable) and I was only ever drugged once, it was pretty unheard of for people to be drugged.
People were generally put into a seclusion room. If they weren't put into a seclusion room, they would have killed someone, or themselves.
There was an incident where a patient very nearly killed a staff member, and there would sometimes be full scale riots where the riot police had to be called, in these cases, if people were not given medication or locked up, then people would have been killed.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
TheColdOne

I am currently:

It depends who and why, but they are using the needle way too much these days. You have a point in that some people are drugged in desperate measures but they are using drugs recreationally in hospitals now. I saw an 11 year old boy get drugged begging the staff to let him go home. He had broken the conditions of his CTO not suicidal or dangerous. I can still hear the screams of people that were just about to get injected. I'm bitter about forced treatment and am probably upsetting a lot of people in this forum - i'm sorry but it's how it is.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
SoDark

I am currently:

I am a little on edge and may have been harsh. I still think that there needs to be a distinction. I agree that medication is being seriously misused, particularly with youth. This does not mean that there is not a place for it. Example: My personal vendetta involves Clozaril. I take it and hate it. It is meant to be used after countless other drugs have failed. In places I have worked they prescribe it because they think it works well. It does, but the point is that the side effects do not outweigh the benefits. Doctors don't always understand that. PRNs can be abused inpatient as well.

I have these same concerns but simply ask that you don't directly tell people that they should not be taking medication that has proven useful for them.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #31
Eccentrics
Occasionally lurking

I am currently:

I'm not standing up for psychiatry because I've been 'brainwashed'.

I'm standing up for psychiatry because beforehand I was on my very last leg. I had tried more 'natural' approaches without much success. Not only I have seen a difference, but others have too since starting treatment.

And it's not a case of 'you're made to believe it works so it does', because I know many people who were skeptical or reluctant to try it but actually found it helpful.

I do admit I don't like forced medication though. Luckily I have never been in that situation or even close to it.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #32
PassedExpectations
a mirror that reflects it

I am currently:

Darkpelt, if you are convinced the doctors are lying, it isn't going to do any good for us to provide you with research evidence because you'll probably say that that is a lie or manipulation too...

i've been on some medications that i didn't need, but the one I'm on now, clomipramine, for my ocd does a great job. it doesn't solve the problem, but it takes the edge off the emotions enough that i can actually do my erp treatment. and that is what the studies for it have showed. it lowers ocd symptoms taken alone, but when combined with erp treatment the people can become dramatically better

this is my magical medicine cabinet. Left to right they contain: courage, hope, calmness, and strength.

The magical part: They NEVER run out, so borrow some any time you want.

PM me anytime, I love getting messages :)
Katie

Old 05-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #33
TheColdOne

I am currently:

Everyone can believe what they want at the end of the day. The original question was to see if anyone can see through the lies, obviously not a lot on here can. Opinions are fine but it doesn't make you right and me wrong just because there's more of you. I'm not afraid to challenge psychiatry and its wrongdoings.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Have you considered the possibility that your illness could be clouding your judgement? When I was first prescribed medication I wasn't that keen, and I used to skip doses all the time, and the first few didn't help, and one made me worse, but the one I'm on now has transformed my life. Medication isn't for everyone, and doctors make mistakes, but you're saying it isn't for anyone - that none of us should be on our medications, however much they've helped us.

You sound very unwell, from what I've seen of your posts, and sometimes when we are unwell it is easy for us to think things are there that really aren't, or to misread a situation. Have you spoken to your doctor about these thoughts you've been having or your feelings towards medication?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #35
TheColdOne

I am currently:

talaiporia: Doctors prescribe medication for a reason especially if they are making good money out of it. I am not entirely sure if it is a fact that it still goes on but i've made an educated guess from seeing the doctors that I have. My doctor was accepting money from the CMHT I was with to keep me in hospitals, in short I was being detained for a profit. I don't want to see this happen to others and believe it is my place to stop this happening.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #36
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Doctors in the NHS make absolutely no money from prescribing drugs under the NHS. Doctors are encouraged not to prescribe drugs or to prescribe cheaper, generic versions. A doctor would not be giving you medication for money.

Now, the cost of you being in hospital is different, because it comes under different services, which means different departments pay for it. This is not something that happens with medication. You would not have been detained for a profit. You would have been detained because you were seriously ill. There are incredibly strict rules on sectioning, etc. as anyone here will tell you, and nobody makes money out of you being in hospital - ultimately that's all money coming out of the NHS.

I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to your doctor about these thoughts. Are you seeing anyone at the moment?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #37
TheColdOne

I am currently:

How can anyone be sure what goes on between drug companies and psychiatrists? Even these days. I can't shake this thought, am entirely convinced i'm being medicated while these excuses for doctors are raking in the money. I refuse to see the doctor because he think i'm schizophrenic only because I know what he does.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

Do you not see any medical professionals at the moment?

When we are unwell, we can get fixated on an idea that is untrue, that we think is true, and it can go round and round in our head until it seems logical, certain, when it isn't.

I can guarentee that prescribing doctors in the NHS aren't paid to prescribe you medications. Yes, it's still possible to be prescribed something unhelpful or that you don't need, but money is not the reason. I have to be honest, you don't sound particularly well; it's possible that your doctor is right. Have you considered that possibility?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #39
TheColdOne

I am currently:

I've got a CPN but i'm keeping distance and my doctor has recently lowered my risperdal consta depot. Just wanted his lies to be exposed. It's not right that they get away with this. Is risperdal harmful? (i've been on it years)

Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #40
talaiporia
Chat Mod

I am currently:

I don't know much about risperdal but you could always read more about it on its Wikipedia page. Wikipedia sometimes has incorrect information, but it tends to be relatively unbiased, and it is edited by everyone, so both people who prescribe medication, take medication, and people who do neither.

Could you talk to your CPN or your doctor about how you are feeling right now? If I'm honest, you sound a little bit paranoid, and though sometimes a degree of paranoia is normal, sometimes it can be a sign of being unwell, or a sign that things are getting worse, so it's worth considering that as an option, even if you think I'm wrong (and I may well be).

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)