RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
HarryMonk

I am currently:
Triggering (Substance Abuse) - Stopped Drinking - Alcohol Withdrawals

Hi all this is my first post on this site. Hope you are all OK.

I wonder is anyone can help me or advise if you have experienced the same things....

I have been a heavy drinker for about 12 years - before that very much "now & again" drinker - however on reflection always to excess, to the point of bein arrested / gettin in a fight / you know the drill...

For the past few years I have been demolishing a 6pack of Kronenburg most nights, substantially more at weekends (like until I fell asleep). After a 2nd D&D charge last Christmas I lost my job & went on a bit of a self-destruct mission, ie. Depressed, what the hell, I'll drink every day, so what? type of idiotic approach to life.

After a few months of this I decided to pack it up for good. Fantastic. Did great for 2months, then thought about a month ago "I've been good, one beer won't hurt" - kin foolishly as I should have known there is no such thing as one!

Anyway last week after a right destructive few days (ie. hating the world & letting everone & everything in it know... OMG) decided to knock it on the head FOR GOOD.

But since stopping I have noticed:
  • I can't sleep
  • If I do sleep I have vivid dreams normally relating to past events & people I know
  • I am constantly freezing cold no matter how many blankets / fleeces / fishermans outfits I wear
  • I don't want to see any other humans (ie. wait until midnight to put the rubbish out. Really.
The main thing I can't understand is why I feel so cold, especially up my back.

Am I normal? Will these symptoms fade? When I first quit I got none of this stuff. (Only 5days clean as of now).

I am determined never to ever touch the poison again, but would appreciate any feedback if anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks chaps & all the best. xxx

HarryMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Hugs Given By :
Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
White Noise

To be honest, I don't know if it is normal or not to get those symptoms, since what people feel when they stop drinking very much depends on how far the problem has progressed before they stop. From the sounds of it you're experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms which, given that you've been drinking heavily for so long, is probably normal for someone in your situation.

I'm not sure what the best way to deal with them is, since I've not been in the same situation, (was a teetotaller just over two years ago) but one thing that might be useful is to seek out support from your GP or see if there are any support groups/ AA branches in your area, at least that way you won't be going it alone and you'd have some guidance from people who've gone through the same things before/ know how to handle it. The symptoms will fade over time though, but it takes time for your body to adapt to not drinking after it's built up a dependence.

Sorry I can't give much more help than this, but I hope things go well for you with stopping drinking.

Random radio ___________This spiral
Static on tv ____________Has worn a groove so deep
Losing count of _________Can’t climb out
All the days and weeks ___Pathetic, painful need

(survival is my victory.)

White Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
Hi Harry!

Harry,

Have been where you are & am currently wanting to i hope quit for good or have at least a month off & then decide!

It's a very British thing-booze-notice how it's quite ok to show people getting p****d on soap operas on tv & suggesting its a good idea!

Well done on the 5 days-the 1st day is for me the hardest-then it beocmes much easier.

The sleep thing for me seems to sort itself out after 7 days or so...it is annoying for the 1st few days! You could try herbal sleeping tablets from say Holland & Barrett? Also a great book I have is the paul mckenna 'I can make you sleep'...it really does help!

I've not had the 'cold' thing but would guess its a part of the withdrawel as is the dreaming & the fact you don't want to face people! Remember booze is a depressant ( I did one of these online things & am moderatly depressed-but after 7-10 days off booze I am much less depressed). Obviously if it goes on for over say 2 weeks call/see your GP but I'm quite reluctant to see mine as don't want the 'alcohol thing' on my medical records!

Also a great book that puts booze in perspective is Alan Carrs 'easyway to stop drinking' a very entertaining & eye-opening read-worth a go!

Wish me luck-am starting my month off today!

Norfolkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
HarryMonk

I am currently:

Thanks guys now day 9 & shivers have gone. Sleep depravation / dreams still there but 10x better than last week!

All the best Norfolk for gettin a start - what has also helped me is shuttin myself in my flat & unplugging the phone (ie. 7 days solitary confinement) - that way no distractions or people phoning suggesting pub/beer etc!

Big difference this time quitting is that I mean it 100%! There is no way I want to feel as **** as I did last week ever again - which is a dead cert if I pick up just one more beer.

Keep me posted pm or e-mail how you're goin chaps. Be strong.

Your friend, Harry Monk x

Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
HarryMonk

I am currently:

BTW Norfolk... Keep your belly full with grub or still soft drinks squash or something - keeps cravings down mate.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
Morning...

Hello all...made it through the nite(!)

Harry-L-glutamine is not only good for you but helps cravings....also I take 2 tablets of kudzu herb an hour before my 'crave' time!

Also on an onging basis taking milk thistle, slow release 'b' vitamins (holland & barrett), & multivits.

My sleep was crap last night but at least I'm able to drive other 1/2 to work (!)

Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
HarryMonk

I am currently:

Norfolk well done mate! Keep thinkin positive!

Just to let you know also, I am not workin at the minute, (I am an engineer by trade, but have ballsed up as my original post), yesterday I received my giro & resisted all temptation to buy beer! Instead I filled my cupboards with pasta & tinned tomatos & muesli so I have 2weeks food & I can't afford beer now anyway!!! Day 12 feelin almost human.

Positive feelin inside - I may have kicked this habit yet!

Good luck buddy stay strong x

Old 11-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
hello all

Well....slept much better last night! Still not 100% deep sleep-I'd say about 50%!

Alcohol takes 3 days I've heard for the psyhical side to leave the body. Good move Harry-stocking up on food so no money for beer (!). Know how you feel re; job...recently gave mine up as still need a month or 2 off to make sure my G/F is better (see my other posts)...tempting if you're on your own & fed up to have a load of booze (done it many times!) but as we know you feel sh*t the next day & so the cycle continues. I always think that I'd rather feel a bt low & be clear-headed than low with a hangover!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are a similar age to me Harry...I feel now that I won't get any more real chances with booze & that if I carry on drinking heavily 'something' will give! Already have had a few pshyical symptoms (that start to go after a few days not drinking) so I take this as an early warning sign. I Have a gym membership (not been for 2 months or so) so as I've got free time on my hands I'll re-start that.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
Thanks!

Hi...already take the fish oils & a full vit b slow release complex+milk thistle + multivits.

For me more than anything it's just getting the sleep patterns back to normal! Always feel better after a few days. Thanks for the post!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

I don't mean to sound corny but you guys are an inspiration. I'm willing you both on.

Take care!

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Yeah, they are.

Makes me think a little too much about my own drinking aswell - :(

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
Thanks again........(!)

Hey we're celebrities (!!!!!!!!)

Cetainly not in my mind an 'inspiration' if you'd seen me the last few weeks (!)......Just now at the age where I KNOW that due to previous intake...certain bodily signs (ie high blood pressure, slightly sore liver...aching eyes, depression, etc) that I can't go on as before. Afterjust a week of non-drinking & a trip or 2 to the gym my BP drops from 150/160 to around 130! Not saying I'll never ever drink again (although this may be something that happens) but need to get a handle on it. As mentioned before started counselling and 1st proper session next Tuesday. You'll see if you look at my intro thread I've not had the easiest year with G/F being ill BUT again that's just an excuse.

Certainly nice to wake up in the am WITHOUT that horrible tste in my mouth/feeling. Also from a purely financial point of view as I can tolerate easily 3/4 bottle of spirt (could go to a full bottle but I always stop-even if at the time I don't feel drunk...just the thought of having a whole bottle!) its bloody expensive (!)

Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #13
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
But the fact is that you did realise that you needed to do something, and you are doing something. That is inspirational. I love how the two of you are really supporting each other.

It is clear that it is really rough right now, but you both sound so excited. It's truly lovely to see.

Keep holding on to the good things, and best of luck for Tuesday.

XXXX
I agree!

xxx

Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #14
HarryMonk

I am currently:

Fantastic! Ain't never been described as kickass before - that has made my day!

Glad we can inspire - not something I thought I was capable any more, but havin a clear head I can see where you're comin from!

One thing worth pointing out - I used to think my sense of humour was fuelled solely by my beer. But it isn't! I been chuckling more than ever over the past few days... Ie. "Gas bill? Oh f***in, great ho ho ho!" Well not quite to that extent but I can feel my personality seeping back.

Excellent chaps, keep it up Norfolk.

Miserable & angry to cheerful & optimistic in under 2weeks... Lovin you all goodstyle!

Your friend Harry Monk x

PS Reading virtually every post on this site has enlightened me & kept me from thinkin about beer.... Good work & amazing indirect effect!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
[pretty on the inside]

I am currently:

Hope you guys continue your recovery with such positivity =]
xx

xKaylx

[pretty on the inside] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #16
HarryMonk

I am currently:

Alright guys, hi Norfolk! Just a quick update....

Still dry, now 2weeks. *Pattin self on head*.

However for the first time I have started to get cravings! Nooooooo!

No chance of slippage, but just an observation - my brain thinks I have done well & keeps sayin (like a little devil in my head) "One beer won't hurt"!!!

Glad I am wise to this trick! My response? "P**s off brain, leave me alone."

Off t'shops to get some orange juice & a big bag of jelly sweets - now that's what I call a reward!

Hope you are all well, thinkin of y'all!

Your friend Harry Monk x

Old 14-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #17
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
Hey all...

Well 5th night tonight! I know my 'patterns' really well in terms of cravings, etc which for me seem to fade pretty much completely by day 4! Day 1 I'm usually fairly anxious increasing to mederatly anxious (say 7 out of 10!) by the usual 'buying drink time' between 5pm & 7-30 pm...then a crap nights sleep follows (!)...day 2 I'm knackered from the crap nights sleep & have cravings on a slight moderate basis say from 5-30-6-30 only (anxiety say 4 or 5/10) with length of anxiety shortened & better but still not fab sleep.....day 3 is same as day 2 except length of 'craving' is shorter ..say 1 hour.. sleep better...day 4 craving is minimal-say a fleeting 'thought' for 1/2 hr only (intensity say 3/10!)...much better sleep (still not 100%!)...day 5 (today!) a five minute 'urge' of say a 2 out of 10 intensity!

Keeping up with my multivits & herbals! G/F has sat/sun/mondays off & always too hungover to drive anywhere Sunday/monday for the day....will be a change to actually have the option for a day out with an early start (if weather allows!) this w/end!

Keep smiling all!

P.S-'physical' symptoms nearly gone...will take BP on monday & bet it will be fine. Went to gym for weights/cardio for the 1st time for ages yesterday-ache all over 2day(!)

Old 14-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #18
HarryMonk

I am currently:
Well done Norfolk...

Well done Norfolk, very glad to hear you're doin well.

Keep up the excercise - I'm off out on me pushbike in the p*ssin rain in a minute, cos I have realised I actually MISS that ache you're sufferin from!

(Knowin my luck I'll get a bloody puncture & end up walkin 10miles!!!

Have a good day mate.

Your friend Harry Monk x

Old 17-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Norfolkboy

I am currently:
Update!

Well....th night alcohol free last night! Don't think I've done 8 nights no booze for a good 8 years...(!)

Anxiety/cravings at 'drink time' (5-6pm) are about 5% now....in fact hardly noticeable. Danger now is that 'well I've done 7 days-I'm in control' & the fact that not drinking feels 'normal' & the brain seeks something 'different' (ie when drinking heavily I seek the thought of NOT drinking & vice-versa). Want to do a month (at least or more!) to get my pshysical self fixed....already hardly any pshysical symptoms left at all!

On another note I'm eating far more healthily, sleep overall is better (still not 100% & better/worse days but much better than day ones lack of sleep!) & I'm going to the gym as well. Also doing more things as not hungover.....(!) ie went to Bradford for a curry at lunch (thought it'd be different to a roast!) & went to the Kasmir, the oldest/1st curry house in Bradford (opened 1956).....right good traditional curry....go down some stairs, formica tables (!)...dirt cheap (£13 for starters/popodums/chappatis.mains/lovely fresh naan bread)...I know there was another reason I like W.Yorkshire (apart from scenery)...the curries are dirt cheap & authentic!

Hope all are doing ok!

P.S-BP now on average just over 140 over 90 or 100....pulse 78-85. During long periods of drinking it was as high as 170 (!) but averaged 155-170 (!)....had one reading of 137 over 90 so heading in right direction!

Last edited by Norfolkboy : 17-11-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Adding something
Old 17-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
HarryMonk

I am currently:

Update#2

Hi all, Hi Norfolk.

Hope you are all well.

Well done Norfolk! Be aware of that little devil in yer head sayin "Oooh haven't you done well, have a few beers as a reward!!!" - that's exactly what dumped me into my relapse hole...

I have a theory on this - I am sure pangs are a sign of low blood sugar... Whenever I have had urges I have gorged myself on crunchy nut cornflakes & fruit squash or something - takes away my cravings. More concerned about turnin into a fat bastad! But with a better diet I can cycle miles without collapsing - carbs work man!

Personally I can honestly say I haven't felt better in years, nearly 3weeks dry now - calm, relaxed, no horrors about who I might have said whatever to, etc etc.

Self awareness & sense of humour returning, & I am actually lookin after myself for a change; clean tidy shaved face - f*ck me a few weeks ago I looked & smelt like Grizzly Adams.

Squeezed the DSS for an extra £55 cos they ballsed up my money last week - when I pick it up later Im off to Asdas to spunk it on a piece of steak to make a curry & some thermal pants & clothes seein as I cant afford to heat my house! Watch this space I might post a picture!

Good to hear from you buddy - just please please please be aware of that little sh*t in your head tellin you things are all better now....

If only we were addicted to cream cakes....

Thinkin of you all, Your friend Harry Monk x

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)