RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 30-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #141
yourockmysocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
The word 'sexism' is used to frequently and too readily I think.
I think you're lucky that you don't have to be hyperaware of it.

Old 30-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #142
Harley's Dad

Lots of good stuff finally coming out of this thread. Of course, in our privileged western world, men and women have choices. But while women have to conceive and bear a child I really can't believe that after all the trauma of birth they just want to drop it and say to their man "OK, it's all yours now". Surely real life ain't like that. Had my wife said that to me I'd have been horrified - I had to get back to doing my hunter/gatherer thing in order to support them.

Of course women can have careers (tho' they have to make difficult choices regarding future families). And of course men can be the nurturers if that's what they really wan't (even if they fall short on the breast-feeding!) but they don't absolutely have to be.

But overall, look around the world and see what's natural - even if it ain't for you ...

Tony

Never surrender.

Old 30-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #143
yourockmysocks

Oh boy, what a privileged world we live in where women are actually educated and have access to basic healthcare and contraception. Aren't I a lucky duck.

Old 30-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #144
Stellata

Not all women choose to - or can - have families.
Not all women can breastfeed - my mum never even had the choice. As I understand it, it was a combination of my prematurity, and the medication she was on for PND/post natal PTSD.

Old 30-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #145
effervescence
tired

I am currently:

This thread is going nowhere.
Nothing has changed, in anyone's attitude, in 8 pages.
I give up.

Even as the stone of the fruit must break
that its heart may stand in the sun,
so must you know pain.

There are only two ways in which one can live their life. One is as though nothing is a miracle, the other is as though everything is.

Old 30-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #146
Taliesin
Надежда

I am currently:

I just don't understand it. Maybe it's because I'm young and grew up in a family with a very strong mother. But I've never once in my life for a second considered women different from me. Only difference is what is in their trousers!

tu as tant de choses à dire,
mais le tout reste enfermer.
et quand tu ne sais plus quoi dire,
tu te mets à pleurer.
Mais ça ton publique le voit pas,
tu l'incites à rêver, pendant que toi tu le regarde...

Old 30-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #147
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley's Dad View Post
Wow, this thread has covered a wealth of "gender-ground"! As a mere man I feel well and truly outnumbered on this site - but of course I would be (new question: why do more females SH than males? Because they're more sensitive? More vulnerable (but if so who is out doing the H/G bit?)
Sensitive? Vulnerable? How about women deal with emotion differently? Women are also more likely to be diagnosed with illness, simply because they can suck it up and go see a doctor, whereas a man is more likely to lie in bed wanting to be waited upon simply because they've got a runny nose.

Quote:
But surely men have a worthwhile role to play? We go fishing, shoot deer or grouse or geese or ducks and bring them back to warm the family hearth and to feed the families' bairns. What the hell more do you want?
Who has said that men didn't have a worthwhile role to play? Although I question how many men actively go and hunt these days, even in poorer countries. I don't need or want a man to 'provide' for me, I'm perfectly capable of doing that myself. A relationship is more than predefined tasks and chores.

Quote:
But while women have to conceive and bear a child I really can't believe that after all the trauma of birth they just want to drop it and say to their man "OK, it's all yours now". Surely real life ain't like that. Had my wife said that to me I'd have been horrified - I had to get back to doing my hunter/gatherer thing in order to support them.
No one is "dropping" their child on the man... If/when a child is born I'd damn well expect my partner to be doing his equal share of looking after it. Women have to go do their earning of the bread as well these days, and you no doubt expect that they should come home, look after the child, the home and have your dinner on the table by the time you stroll in the door...

Tony, I really wish you'd stop using hyperbole (and twisting of words) in every discussion, it gets us nowhere, and all it achieves is getting people's backs up and getting further off topic.

Old 31-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #148
Harley's Dad

Sorry, The One Who, I was only hoping to promote a discussion! But what can I conclude from all this? That western women (who are undoubtedly spoilt when in comparison to their equivalents elsewhere) have choices that are not actually available to most women in the world.

Of course I wouldn't expect a women who had just borne my child to just drop it and leave it for me to nurture. I'd have instead wanted to go out to do the H/G bit in order to support her, as was my duty. Can you really imagine any sort of sensitive male not wanting to clasp his new-born against his chest. She would then have done at least the initial nurturing while I made my way back with the kill - and then to help.

What depths does this thread - not started by me - delve into our genders? I'm only a man but clear enough in my role. It does seem that a lot of you girls out there are confused a bit, to say the least ...

Tony

Tony

Never surrender.

Old 31-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #149
whirlpools

I don't feel unclear in my role. I want to be a mum, I would ideally like to share responsibility for both the upbringing of my children and the financial income with my partner, if he were to agree (incidentally, an ex-partner thoroughly expected me to do all the housework and cooking AND have a full-time job which brought in the rent - not in my lifetime!).

I don't feel 'spoilt' in comparison to some women elsewhere in the world; rather, I feel that they are mistreated and I am experiencing what should be the norm. A right to choose how I live my own life. I don't think it's a lot to expect.

Additionally, I am curious - would you consider a man reading this thread who would like what I would like (to be equally involved in child-rearing and a working career with his partner) unclear in their role? Or were you talking about something different which I have misunderstood, as often happens tbf (I am not that bright).

Old 31-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #150
BridgesAndBalloons
A Thimblesworth of Milky Moon

Maybe it could seem that women are confused because the gender roles they fall into aren't as clear cut, might that be the case at all?

I'm a female, I don't want children, I look after my male partner as much as he looks after me, often with me falling into the more "hunter gatherer" role. I don't feel confused. I've found what works for me and I don't see my role in my relationship/family/society as being overly male or female, simply because I feel little to no need for the terms male or female when it comes to roles etc (obviously sex is a different matter I'd describe myself as female in that regard), but that's just me, everyone is different.

Last edited by BridgesAndBalloons : 31-12-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 AM   #151
Harley's Dad

Surely this thread is now dead. But what comes out of it? That men are men and women are women! Pluse chas change1

Tony

Never surrender.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #152
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

(and, to be provocative, that some people don't really understand the meaning of the word "natural" :) )

Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #153
Harley
Webmaster

I am currently:

There have been loads of extremely sexist comments and opinions from both sides on this - it not going anywhere and there is clearly nothing (more) to be gained from it so I'm going to close this thread now.

Harley

"Perfection is always under construction"

Closed Thread

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)