Live Help

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 18-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #4021
hidingme

I am currently:

oh yeah you GOTTA rent the movie..Across the Universe.
its all beatles songs in the entire thing but they are done a bit differently.. but it does not ruin the original songs it makes then BETTER.. amust see.. i had to buy the movie i really loved it.
Hiding

<a href=http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=27091&dateline=1286135272 target=_blank>http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...e=128613  5272</a>

hidingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #4022
whirlpools

It sounds really good! Actually I believe I have heard of it, will add it to my list. Luckily my list only has, like... one other film on it.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #4023
hidingme

I am currently:

haha beware tho it is a musical. but its not like grease or mamma mia type musical.. it actually fits extremely well into the movie and story line.

and I despise musicals and i loved across the universe ..go figure lol
Hiding

<a href=http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=27091&dateline=1286135272 target=_blank>http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...e=128613  5272</a>

Old 18-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #4024
whirlpools

:) that sounds like it would work! I'm not a big fan of musicals either, but this one sounds worth watching.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #4025
Navas
aurea mediocritas

I am currently:

I study everything and everyone I come into contact with. I study myself. Itís just my nature; Iím a student. I assume others are often studying me also, and itís not a feeling that makes me especially uncomfortable. I find it reassuring actually, because I want to be understood. Of course itís disconcerting when others seem to be coming to incorrect conclusions about you, which is always a risk. When I think thatís happening, I try to tell them so.

The idea that Iím ďstudying you like lab ratsĒ seems to imply that I donít care at all about you as people, or even that I regard you as something less than human. Both of which are not the case. The phrase also tends to connote a sense of superiority and a degree of arrogance on the part of the observer, which I do my best to avoid.

I didnít mean to imply that I donít think anyone has had such experiences or that theyíre not valid. Nor that I think anyone is a ďliarĒ.

Just that they are essentially illusory, or due to confirmation bias, like for example noticing some of the hues in the iris, which isnít uniform, and discounting the others.

Or in some cases maybe theyíre the effects of changes in behavior (which might not be highly conscious/intentional) while in different states, e.g. being willing to squint to compensate for not wearing corrective lenses and/or being willing to deal with some blurriness, or downplaying or exaggerating the severity of an asthma attack in order to appear more or less vulnerable, or being more psychologically stressed in some states such as could exacerbate an attack via sympathetic nervous response, and so forth.

Of course your face can change according to how youíre feeling, to some extent. Itís something you have muscular control over and an important part of communication. But eye color is another thing.

I donít know anyone (other than online) whoís told me they have DID. But if I had, and hadnít seen their eyes change color rapidly or whatever, that would of course hardly be proof that it doesnít happen at all.

And indeed there is no proof that it doesnít happen at all. I could be wrong. But all the available evidence leads me to think itís very unlikely that Iím wrong.

Rare phenomena could easily be missed by an individual but I have a hard time believing that things as astounding as rapid eye color shifts wouldnít have been seriously investigated at some point. I was looking for several hours to see if I could find some substantiated reference to rapid eye color shifts as being a possibility in humans, and havenít found anything. If you have, Iíll be happy to look at it.

So anyway, in the absence of such evidence, I think the most likely explanation is that such experiences are psychological effects, which have a certain kind of reality, but not of the sort thatís denoted by a literal interpretation of sentences like ďMy eyes change color according to my moodĒ or whatever.

Quote:
He's using the (fallacy) that eye color is physically incapable of changing.

Actually, no Iím not. Eye color does change, but it does so over intervals of at least a few months as melanin particles are synthesized and degraded at differing rates, or gradually migrate to different locations in the eye.
There are creatures like cuttlefish and chameleons that change their skin color *very* rapidly (especially the cuttlefish, and theyíre so CUTE), because they have the needed mechanisms (muscularly controlled chromatophore pouches, and so forth). But thereís no evidence that humans have comparable mechanisms in their irises.

=0.0=

Last edited by Navas : 18-07-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added response to specific comment
Navas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #4026
hope.is.overrated
I am on the verge of being a complete disaster...

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navas View Post
I study everything and everyone I come into contact with. I study myself. Itís just my nature; Iím a student. I assume others are often studying me also, and itís not a feeling that makes me especially uncomfortable. I find it reassuring actually, because I want to be understood. Of course itís disconcerting when others seem to be coming to incorrect conclusions about you, which is always a risk. When I think thatís happening, I try to tell them so.

The idea that Iím ďstudying you like lab ratsĒ seems to imply that I donít care at all about you as people, or even that I regard you as something less than human. Both of which are not the case. The phrase also tends to connote a sense of superiority and a degree of arrogance on the part of the observer, which I do my best to avoid.

I didnít mean to imply that I donít think anyone has had such experiences or that theyíre not valid. Nor that I think anyone is a ďliarĒ.

Just that they are essentially illusory, or due to confirmation bias, like for example noticing some of the hues in the iris, which isnít uniform, and discounting the others.

Or in some cases maybe theyíre the effects of changes in behavior (which might not be highly conscious/intentional) while in different states, e.g. being willing to squint to compensate for not wearing corrective lenses and/or being willing to deal with some blurriness, or downplaying or exaggerating the severity of an asthma attack in order to appear more or less vulnerable, or being more psychologically stressed in some states such as could exacerbate an attack via sympathetic nervous response, and so forth.

Of course your face can change according to how youíre feeling, to some extent. Itís something you have muscular control over and an important part of communication. But eye color is another thing.

I donít know anyone (other than online) whoís told me they have DID. But if I had, and hadnít seen their eyes change color rapidly or whatever, that would of course hardly be proof that it doesnít happen at all.

And indeed there is no proof that it doesnít happen at all. I could be wrong. But all the available evidence leads me to think itís very unlikely that Iím wrong.

Rare phenomena could easily be missed by an individual but I have a hard time believing that things as astounding as rapid eye color shifts wouldnít have been seriously investigated at some point. I was looking for several hours to see if I could find some substantiated reference to rapid eye color shifts as being a possibility in humans, and havenít found anything. If you have, Iíll be happy to look at it.

So anyway, in the absence of such evidence, I think the most likely explanation is that such experiences are psychological effects, which have a certain kind of reality, but not of the sort thatís denoted by a literal interpretation of sentences like ďMy eyes change color according to my moodĒ or whatever.

Actually, no Iím not. Eye color does change, but it does so over intervals of at least a few months as melanin particles are synthesized and degraded at differing rates, or gradually migrate to different locations in the eye.
There are creatures like cuttlefish and chameleons that change their skin color *very* rapidly (especially the cuttlefish, and theyíre so CUTE), because they have the needed mechanisms (muscularly controlled chromatophore pouches, and so forth). But thereís no evidence that humans have comparable mechanisms in their irises.

=0.0=
I get what you mean, but it's not everyone who likes to be observed and studied by other people like they were some science project...I know I wouldn't like...

Not being disrespectful to you, but what the change of eyes' colours has to do with DID? in my opinion, nothing...

I write this alone on my bed; I've poisoned every room in the house; The place is quiet and so alone; Pretend there's something worth waiting for; There's nothing nice in my head
The adult world took it all away; Wake up with same spit in my mouth; Cannot tell if it is real or not; I try and walk in a straight line
An imitation of dignity - MSP - From despair to Where

I am human and I need to be loved just like everybody else does - The Smiths How Soon is Now

hope.is.overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #4027
Stellata

This is a support thread, remember. Not a debate thread.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #4028
bleeding black
lost boys

I am currently:

*nods at Katie*
And again, if you don't have dissociative issues, there is no reason for you to be posting here. We don't particularly want to be studied, nor do we want to study you...

bleeding black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #4029
bleeding black
lost boys

I am currently:

We're having trouble..
Being sick isn't helping anything either. Going back and forth between trying to read/laying in bed trying to sleep and feeling...odd, lips are tingling, feeling shaky and all just bizarre up in the head...

Old 18-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #4030
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

Hey guys

Seeing Navas's posts made me want to ask: is it ok if I read this thread? I read it almost every day. I don't have DID, but my girlfriend does, and I believe -------------. I often read this thread because my girlfriend doesn't like to talk much about her DID (or, most of her parts don't) and reading this helps me get some sense of what she's going through. Sometimes you guys raise issues that I know she's dealt with too and it can help me to understand them better, or I know better how to talk to her about them. I guess reading this thread kind of indirectly supports me and her.

I didn't realise you guys could see it as unhelpful or intrusive though. If it bothers you that I read this thread regularly, I'll stop. Just let me know?

Last edited by foxfly : 11-09-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood.

foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #4031
Stellata

It feels fine to me for you to read, Rosy. You're reading as a support person/carer.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #4032
hidingme

I am currently:

ok i got stuff to say here..

conor- for one thing.. you prolly wouldnt know if you met someone in real life with DID or who disoociate or has "others".. for most its a secret. we dont just going telling everyone.. we only tell those we highly trust...as trust is a HUGE issue with dissociation.

online is different as well.. we can just not go back to the site if we want.

Rosy- you are welcome here as far as i am concerned. DID and dissociation closely affects you ..although it isnt you experiencing it personally.. you do have a reason to be here and a true reason to try to understand it more.
no worries.
SADIE

Old 18-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #4033
Olive branch

Conor, I think it might be best if you didn't post here, if you need to know how I am specifically. Ask.

Otherwise, as other people have said, it's intrusive.

Tabitha.

System A
Sophie Mandi Max Gwen Mercy Erin AVA Tracey Bridget
My Isaac

System B
Tabitha, ?,Robert, Pippa, Sarah?

"Don't touch me."

Olive branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #4034
Olive branch

To everyone else:

I broke up with my boyfriend today. I don't know if I am allowed to do that. I don't love him. I don't want to have s*x with him. It feels like abuse sometimes. Mercy might be able to force her way out, I normally wake up, having been chucked back into the body, n*ked and hurting. But I worry it's wrong because Sophie and Mercy love him.
Idk.

:S

Help?

Oh and also, complete paranoia set in when on the train, I was hypervigilant (more so than normal) and just wanted to run and hide. I wonder if anyone has any tips to help when that happens?

System A
My Isaac

System B

"Don't touch me."

Old 18-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #4035
hidingme

I am currently:

lost boys~
sorry youre feeling bad. have you had the dr test your thyroid levels?

i know i get tingles in hands, lips, chin, neck and sometimes vision shakes which is do to my thyroid/graves disease.

its rare for men to get thyroid issues but IT DOES happen.. so may wanna keep it in mind if it continues.

hope you feel better soon hon.

*hugs*
Hiding

Old 18-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #4036
hidingme

I am currently:

tabitha~

sounds like anxiety. just do something comforting...
sarah says take a blankie to hid under haha

try to focus on breathing.
sorry that happened hope you feel better now hon
Hiding *with sarah*

Old 18-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #4037
foxfly
little skinless

I am currently:

Hey Hiding and Katie,

Thanks for that. I feel better about reading along now!

I'm sorry everyone here is having such a tough time. :( I know I don't have any direct experience, but if anyone ever wants to vent to me in a PM or anything, you're always welcome to.

Sit on my finger, sing in my ear, O littleblood.

foxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #4038
bleeding black
lost boys

I am currently:

Rosy, it's fine with us if you post, as a supporter of someone (or someones :P) like Katie said you are welcome. If you have any questions that you think might help you understand more, feel free to ask :)

Hiding,
No we haven't had them checked, if it keeps up we'll ask our GP.

Tabitha,

It does sound like high anxiety levels.. Do you have things you do when you are anxious/distressed? There are lots of grounding/mindfulness techniques about that can really help (they help us).

We are going to try 9again) to sleep.
Take care everyone

Old 18-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #4039
hidingme

I am currently:

rosey- youre welcome hon.
as lostboys said feel free to ask anything you need that may help you understand you girlfriend better.
I know ..it was weird for me ..i started out believing i was singleton.. some here can vouch that knew me then.. i was psych student interested in DID made friends learned supported them.. then well everything crashed it seemed and then i had sarah and now sadie.. i dont know ..sometimes i still feel like a big fake ..but well guess it really meant something if sarah was out with dr other day.. i was suppossed to be not her.. not sure what went wrong there..
anyhow rambling sorry..
anyhow feel free to ask questions or ask for support.. cant be too easy being the SO of someone with others either i would guess... i know my hubby has a little trouble with it.

lostboys~ good. its nothing to be too alarmed about if that is what it is.. symptoms list with it goes on forever but it is tolerable although annoying lol

Hiding

Old 18-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #4040
Olive branch

It's just weird. I guess the stuff with Tom wasn't helping. I felt I was in everyone's way, that I had to curl up and be very small so I wouldn't make anyone mad at me. Also, and this is weird, I am eating baby food atm, it makes me feel safe. Has anyone else done this, or similar?

System A
My Isaac

System B

"Don't touch me."

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)