RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
lostdoll

Work/doctors/meds/SI

I'm not sure what to do but would like to hear others' thoughts/experiences.

I went to the doctors a couple of months ago, cried and told her how low I'd been feeling. I wanted to see a counselor but didn't want medication (which she offered me). She gave me a list of self-referral counselling people, and I'm now on a waiting list (there's nothing really available for evenings/Sundays as I work full-time and have college part-time).

Overall, I've carried on and been OKish. Although now I've hit a low week (not period-related) where I find myself upset by work quite a bit, coming home crying or crying the night before I go to work.

Do I go to the doctors again? Are anti-depressants worth it? I feel that my low moods come in phases and I don't reaaally want to go down that route, but feel like it might be an option at the moment. I've been so upset that I've wanted to harm myself but don't because I don't want to upset my partner.

Any thoughts? What seems like a good option? And I have a one-to-one with my manager on Saturday, do I mention how I've been feeling?

lostdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
Margo

I am currently:

Firstly is this work related? If so then definitely tell your boss. I never said a thing to anyone for years until it was too late. If it's not work related then I guess it depends on whether you feel a slightly easier time with work would help if your boss could alleviate a little stress or something? If you have a good relationship and they know you have an illness then it's not a bad thing to let them know. If you feel it could jeapardise your position then perhaps get some more advice before you say anything.

Have you had meds before?

Meds don't solve anything but they can certainly help to get you into a position where you can receive and accept help that will.

I would definitely go and see the gp again. It's important to keep a relationship with them. Tell the gp what you've said here. They may offer a sick period to let you have a break or at least they can add to your notes and have a better understanding.

The worst thing you can do is to sit and stew and let things get darker and worse.

Big squidges

Matthew xx

~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
lostdoll

Thanks Matthew. It's mostly work related and me being a sensitive git. I've booked the doctors appointment for Monday morning and will see what my options are.

lostdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Margo

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdoll View Post
Thanks Matthew. It's mostly work related and me being a sensitive git. I've booked the doctors appointment for Monday morning and will see what my options are.

Being sensitive doesn't mean weak or incapable or lesser. It just means you're sensitive.

Like I mentioned I didn't say anything at work and It all ended very badly for me. I wish I'd said something because I now know it actually takes a stronger person to ask for help than to Just hide it and cover it up.

It takes a lot of guts to admit to someone you are struggling - admitting you need some support or some help. It is absolutely not a weakness.

You don't have to go into every detail and MH issues are taken very very seriously these days.

Keep us informed.

Best of luck xxx

~Phoenix~ is my Little Sister of Awesomeness and Self-Delusion :P
Bitter Angel is my Mitten
Animad is my Top Trump
All Im Living For - Is my beautiful and special daughter who isnt called Kim but will moan if i dont add her :P

Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
Accidentally Abstract
Luce.

I am currently:

Eimear! Very long time no speak!

I know where you're coming from as I had basically the same response when I last went to my GP (except they told me that the self-referral group may not even be appropriate for me!).

I'd definitely speak to work if you feel you are able - my colleagues and manager know about my mental health issues and it's been a great help in terms of my manager allowing me to be more flexible with booking annual leave at short notice as well as letting me take breaks and people being a bit more supportive than they may ordinarily be.

What do you think makes you so upset about the job? Is it anything you can think of a viable solution to?

How did the GP appointment go?

Take care.

Lucy x

Ride it out.
"I need a sunrise in the dark."

Accidentally Abstract is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)