Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:
"Beautiful People" Website

Hey

Theres a social networking site/dating website called beautifulpeople.com, which you are only accepted to if other people consider you attractive. If you're rated "ugly" then you cannot join.
Quote:
BeautifulPeople is the first community of its kind. To become a member, applicants are required to be voted in by existing members of the opposite sex. Members rate all new applicants over a 48 hour period based on whether or not they find the applicant ‘beautiful’. Should applicants secure enough positive votes from members, they will be granted a full membership to the BeautifulPeople Network.
Recently, it has kicked out 5000 members for gaining some weight over Christmas.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...d-dating-slobs

What do people think? Shallow and Pathetic? Or acceptable to hold the website's standards? (Not that gaining weight means you're unattractive)

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Fry

I am currently:

Hmm, it's a bit mean but if you know what you're letting yourself in for when you join the website then I don't see how anyone can complain.

Funny how 'Guardian Soulmates' is advertised on the right hand side.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I think the whole concept of the website is shallow and pathetic.
But I think it's acceptable of them to kick the members out. There's all sorts of dating sites that are for people of varying tastes and persuasions, if the entire website is for people so shallow they will only date other equally as shallow "beautiful people",then they should be allowed to uphold their standards.
I think the members kicked out though should thank their lucky stars that they're free of a place like that.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Gone.

I think it's ridiculous. What sort of message is it trying to send out? I mean, if there weren't enough insecurities about weight and the like already... People could almost use it against themselves. If they weren't voted in, then it would just be an excuse for ED behaviours if you get me.

It's pretty shallow and pathetic, just like you said. I feel pretty strongly on it. And Christmas is a festive time where food is pretty high on the list, so obviously people are going to gain weight. That doesn't make them not beautiful.

There aren't enough celebrities that are thin in this world, obviously.

But, as said above, you know what you're in for if you join it.
It's a dating website, so if you join this shallow website then at least you'll get with someone who is equally likeminded.

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
The One Who

I am currently:

Yes, it's stupid but it's what they know they are getting in to when they sign up.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
GlitterandSparkles.

I am currently:

I think whoever came up with this concept is completely shallow, pathetic, and not to mention mean. This just drives any insecurities somebody may have deeper. Yes, people know what they're getting into, but my gosh it's just terrible.

It baffles me to think people are actually that shallow, that pathetic and that mean yet think so highly of themselves. Bad things happen when you get too many cocky people in one place and this is one of those bad things.

GlitterandSparkles. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
The War Doctor
Man ist, was man isst

I am currently:

If you're shallow enough to join something like this, you have no right to be surprised at being judged like a f*cking show-dog. I have no sympathy for the people who were kicked out for weight-gain, they knew what they were getting into.

It's a stupid, pathetic, shallow site, so I suppose it's an ideal hunting-ground for stupid, pathetic, shallow people.

The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Blittle1986

Ease up a bit on the name calling here will ya? I have friends whom I met from that site who I'm still pretty good friends with. Blame the admins not the members.

Anyway, I'm going to echo what has already been said. It's a private site and if they don't want certain people on their site then they don't have to have them there. Pretty much any site you join will have a disclaimer when you join that "being a member of this site is a privilege, not a right." This is just an example of a website exercising that.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
The One Who

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blittle1986 View Post
Blame the admins not the members.
It's the members who make a site what it is. The members are the ones who are rating others. If they didn't want to then the site would quickly change. There are any number of other dating sites out there, but they choose to be a member of this one.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Isoverity

I am currently:

I bet the birds are better here anyway. Just sayin.

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Fry

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoverity View Post
I bet the birds are better here anyway. Just sayin.
So true.

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

It's their opinion & tbh they are right, it's so shallow to create & join a site like that.

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Blittle1986

The user base votes on who gets in, not on who gets kicked out. That is the point I'm making. Is the user base shallow? Damn straight. Stupid and Pathetic? I think not.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

I think the whole site is shallow & pathetic. Stupid? Well, I'm not going to judge intelligence, but it doesn't seem so smart to make such a site either.

Last edited by Cryptic. : 08-01-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: edited

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #15
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

I think the people who set up, and probably also join such a site pitied in all honesty..... I think it's just another very, very sad site, club, network that are ever increasing on the 'pretend' life of the internet.....

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Blittle1986

From a business model standpoint there is nothing stupid about creating a site like that. At a claimed 550,000 members, there is obviously a market for such a site. Nor is there anything pathetic about creating such a site from a business model standpoint.

From a personal standpoint there is nothing stupid about joining a site like that. Healthypeople.gov has compiled a list of indicators of health. I would venture to say at least 4 and up to 7 of the things listed on that 10-item list have a direct impact on physical appearance. Those 4 things are physical activity, obesity, tobacco use and drug/alcohol use. To seek out favorable genetics to compliment your own is in no way stupid, in most cases it IS very shallow however.

I see no reason that it is pathetic either. These people are not lesser humans for having preferences and bias. We all have them whether you want to admit to it or not.

Last edited by typsee : 08-01-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: edited
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Bleeding Angel
This is my story, and your not part of it...

I am currently:

Its a gimmick and a stupid one at that. But if people want to join it then let them, its obviously not a site many people would want to use, but even at that member count, its not alot of people considereing the population of the uk.

Last edited by typsee : 08-01-2010 at 04:17 AM. Reason: removed your reference to a post that has now been edited.

"Its not how long a star shines, what is remembered is the brightness of the light"

Bleeding Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alone and Scared View Post
I think the people who set up, and probably also join such a site pitied in all honesty..... I think it's just another very, very sad site, club, network that are ever increasing on the 'pretend' life of the internet.....
I agree.
To me such a site screams low self esteem at me. It's kind of like that daft "hot or not?" website. If they were comfortable with themselves then maybe they wouldn't feel the need to be part of such a club. To need validation that you are a "beautiful person" to the extent where you will refuse to allow people who you see as less physically attractive to join smacks of insecurity.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Alone and Scared
*Roby and Allie's Angel!*

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Tiger View Post
I agree.
To me such a site screams low self esteem at me. It's kind of like that daft "hot or not?" website. If they were comfortable with themselves then maybe they wouldn't feel the need to be part of such a club. To need validation that you are a "beautiful person" to the extent where you will refuse to allow people who you see as less physically attractive to join smacks of insecurity.

Totally agree. To have to sign up to a site to be validated does suggest to me that they have very low self esteem.... Or are very damn sure of themselves and love themselves maybe a little too much!! However, I think perhaps the first would cover the majority.

-“And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to bloom.” Anais Nin-

Allie, Mutt, Great Grandma, Hope and Humbug. I love you and miss you all. xx
Love you Caz, Kel, Roby &&Dasher. xx

Alone and Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
88shelz
be positive

I am currently:

i rekon this site is out of order...
butttt signing up then people are aware of how the site works so its up to them what they let them self in for

Some days are still hard but they make the good days seem all the better :)

88shelz is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)