RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 15-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
alienshe_cheesycake
the world will never take my heart

I am currently:
Wound Care Question - Itchy Scar?

I had a cut about an inch wide and about 4 inches long.
It kinda took a long time to heal (I think it might have been a bit infected?) and now that it's finally healed I've been left with a big dark red raised scar.

The thing is it is always really itchy and kind of like cracked and sore.
The cut definatly healed a while ago but why is the scar always itchy and sore?

Also does anybody know if the scar will ever get more faded/less noticable and raised?

advice would be appreciated, thank you xxxx

Old 15-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
GhostDude306

I am currently:

dont worry this scar will most probably fade i have loads like this and have had ones that are faded to white now, it may take two years for it to properly fade scars like this can continue to thicken for 6 months, its itchy because its healing and repairing itself, sorry i dont have any advice on how to stop the itching mine always drive me mad

please take care
x

Last edited by GhostDude306 : 15-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.

...Sticks and stones may break my bones; but words, they scar forever...

Old 15-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
alienshe_cheesycake
the world will never take my heart

I am currently:

ah thankyou, it's a relief that its probably gonna fade just because it looks a lot worse than it is (if anybody ever see's it they would think it was a brand new burn or somthing )

!thanx xxxxxx

Old 18-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Shadowedcorner
leave me alone!!

I am currently:

Your scar sounds like it might be a keloid scar. There are places on the internet where you can probably find more information about them, as well as topical treatments that may help the itching stop.

Why can't you just
??

all-hope.lost-forever is my tasty jelly bean!
oderint_dum_metuant is my BEAUTIFULANGEL. NoSanity is my FlOaTiNg BuBble.
d.rocky is my Mr.Bor :p

Old 22-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Popple

Yeah sounds like a keloid scar
they do take a while to heal
cocoa butter should help it heal
and I find it soothes the itching abit

sorry don't have much advice
katy
xx

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Old 24-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Auror.
Camden

it sounds to me like a keloid. keloids are basically a build up of scar tissue. but like... massive build up.

and contrary to what everyone else has said, i have a number of them, and they have not faded or gotten less raised, even after a bit over three years.

mine still itch as well. i put moisturiser on them daily, which does help a lot.

i have even been to a skin doctor. she said she can give me something to put on to stop itching, but that unless i wanted plastic surgery, they won't ever heal like normal scars.

maybe mine are just a lot worse or my skin sucks, i dunno. but if you've got scars like that, generally the cut should have been stitched up, is what i've been told.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Queer Fringe
Why is the rum always gone?

I am currently:

I have a itchy scar like that, I recommend you get scar reducers to help it fade?
sorry it was no help =p xx

Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #8
*Uv_ragdoll*(Shelley)

the itchyness is just it healing mine still itch and theyre pretty old now

Breathe......... keep breathing

Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Kangaroo
No, I'm Not An Aussie

I am currently:

i was told scar reducers dont work and are a waste of money unless they are the sort prescribed by a doctor.

Cocobutter can be good for itching, otherwise just put loads of moisturiser. I have had large keloid scars with have faded, gone flatter and now are shiny white. Your doctor can give you advice on treatments for it

In future, make sure cuts which are that large are seen by a nurse in case they need stiches.

KANGAROO

I HAVE FAMILY - Blondiebear is my sister

Old 02-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
Bitter_Angel
*First Aid Advisor*

I am currently:

Some scar reduces do work, but it depends upon the wound and your skin. The best option is to keep it well moisturised. Perhaps even use a antiseptic cream on it to take away the itch.
In time they will fade, but it is differnt for everyone. Sometimessome sun can also help, but be careful as the area will also be sentive to burning.

Take care
Kim

Eva. Gone, but never forgotten 27.3.10

Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
gorybalamory

I am currently:

ive never had a raised scar but my scars do itch from time to time. i jus learnt to live with it. when they get bad i put my hand into clod water and that seems to sooth it a bit. hope it helps

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )
This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Em n Em Peanut

I am currently:

Yes, the scar will eventually fade, although it may take quite a bit of time (I have a scar from 10 years ago, barely visible, but still noticeable if you look close enough). To help speed the process, try using cocoa butter which will help soothe the itch and the fading should also speed up. Keep it well moisturized, cocoa butter works well as does Vitamin E - either as a lotion or 'pure vitamin E' which is like a thick gel.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
SupermanIsInMySoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienshe_cheesycake View Post
ah thankyou, it's a relief that its probably gonna fade just because it looks a lot worse than it is (if anybody ever see's it they would think it was a brand new burn or somthing )

!thanx xxxxxx
I Have A Similar Cut On My Arm That Is Extremely Itchy. Its Is Large, Red, And Raised, Though I Know It Will Not Fade. It Is Because I Have Keloids. Keloids Is Mostly Seen In African American People, So Somewhere Back In My Family History, We Have African Americans. There Are Many People Now A-Days Who Have Keloids.

I Haven't Found And Way Of Trying To Soothe The Itching.

"Keloids expand in claw-like growths over normal skin.They have the capability to hurt with a needle-like pain or to itch without warning, although the degree of sensation varies from patient to patient."- Wikipedia

Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
SupermanIsInMySoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienshe_cheesycake View Post

!thanx xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
i was told scar reducers dont work and are a waste of money unless they are the sort prescribed by a doctor.

Cocobutter can be good for itching, otherwise just put loads of moisturiser. I have had large keloid scars with have faded, gone flatter and now are shiny white. Your doctor can give you advice on treatments for it

In future, make sure cuts which are that large are seen by a nurse in case they need stiches.

Keloids Do Not Generally Fade- They Are Normally There For As Long As You Live :L Sorry. Cause I Have Keloids, And I Will Have My Large Scars For the Rest Of My Life- Whether I Like It Or Not (Personally, I Dont Care- I Like Scars- They Strike Up Conversations ;P )
But Then Again- There Are Probably Different Degree's Of Keloids Throughout Different People- So What Do I Know ;P

-Kim

Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Animad

Closing thread as it is over 3yrs since the last two posts.

To clear things up, Keloid scars grow larger and invade surrounding tissue often having none distinct borders and being bigger than the original wound. They can keep growing forever and don't tend to respond to therapy and often removal isn't an option because Keloids develop due to a genetic mutation (normally seen in Black/ Afro-Carribean people though not totally) and the scar left by the surgery can turn into a Keloid one.

What the vast majority of SH scars actually are are hypertrophic ones. These are where the scar is the same size as the wound was (though can decrease in size overtime). They are raised and reddened at first and this can last a couple of years. It is due to the cuts being gaping and scar tissue needs to be put down to keep the strength whilst it heals and remodels. These do fade with time and flatten. They are aided by having the wound stitched when it is first done as it means they are less likely to develop. They also do tend to respond to creams/ similar in most people, speeding up the recovery of the scar (fading and flattening it) though different creams are more beneficial to some people rather than others.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)