RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Airplanes

I am currently:
#to.write.love.on.her.arms

This is an Australian wide movement(which started in America), where on the 25th of September, we join and write 'LOVE' on our arms, just for the heck of it.

To Write Love On Her Arms Australian Website

It was actually started in America, but I'm glad it's come to Australia.

I thought I would share it with all of you. xxx

Airplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

ooooh thanks for the reminder:)

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
R-Jay
The Celestial Tablecloth :)

I am currently:

Looks cool! Can't believe I haven't seen this.
I will be doing this :)
Thanks!

I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright.
So I'm breaking the habit,
I'm breaking the habit
Tonight
I got charm'd at Hogwarts

R-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Airplanes

I am currently:

My youth movement has something called the 'Love is our Weapon' campaign which aims to stop hurt and suffering in our region. Our campaign involves ten weeks of love deeds, the last week is the 24th September, so i'm gunna try to get our movement to do this and send a photo in to the site. We have 300 youth... (:

Airplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Heidi Tiger
Loon NOS

I am currently:

I believe an awful lot of people support TWLOHA because they truly believe it's a good cause and really helps self harmers. However it really isn't as simple as that. The main issue is that some of the organisations that TWLOHA gives money to are fundamental christians, now this in itself is not neccessarily a bad thing, except for the fact that the organisations in question offer conversion therapy for homosexuals because they believe that being gay is a mental illness.
Also I'm not sure about funding nowadays, but a few years ago only 25% of money donated actually got passed on to charitable causes, the rest vanishes somewhere.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination

Heidi Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Freedom Fighter

i have a love hate relationship with them.

http://www.twloha.com/finances/

Quote:
Q: Where does the money go?
A: TWLOHA gives a large portion of all proceeds to treatment and recovery through the organizations listed below. You can also view our financials here. Beyond that, we believe that all the work we do is important. We have a small full-time staff of 12, and also interns who respond to MySpace messages and emails everyday. That's the heart of what we do. That's the most important piece; it is the interaction and being in a place to encourage people who are hurting. In so many cases, those are folks talking about these issues, sharing their struggles, asking for help, for the very first time. To us, it's a privilege that we get to respond to those messages. We get opportunities to speak and be a part of different concerts, tours, events, etc. Warped Tour is a huge example of how this happens. We're starting to focus more on our Street Team, UChapters, MOVE Conferences, counseling scholarships, and other ways we can equip people. We don't just want to give them tools to promote TWLOHA. We want to educate and encourage people so that they understand these issues, so they can walk with friends who are dealing with these things.

National Hopeline Network (1-800-SUICIDE) - WWW.HOPELINE.COM/
The National Hopeline is a non-profit organization that fights suicide at the front lines. Their toll-free call line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and links the caller to the nearest crisis hotline in their area. To date, they have received over 2 million calls from individuals struggling with thoughts of suicide.

S.A.F.E. (Self-Abuse Finally Ends) - WWW.SELFINJURY.COM
S.A.F.E. Alternatives is a nationally recognized treatment approach, professional network and educational resource base, which is committed to helping you and others achieve an end to self-injurious behavior."

IM Alive: In the fall of 2009 we partnered with Kristen Brooks Hope Center to help launch the first ever online crisis network. For more info check out IMAlive.org.

Kids Help Line (Australia) - WWW.KIDSHELP.COM.AU / 1-800-55-1800
Offers free, confidential, anonymous 24-hour phone and online counseling for young people (5-25) in Australia.

INDIA: In January 2007, three of us traveled to Kolkata, India as part of a group to experience the work being done in the fight against human slavery. We partnered with two different organizations, and as part of our commitment to the children we met and the work we experienced.

Apne Aap – WWW.APNEAAP.ORG

Sanlaap – WWW.SANLAAPINDIA.ORG
those look mostly secular heidi

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
-Rainbow-

In response to the money side of things,
the Australian one accepts no donations and if you wish to donate money, you can donate to the American TWLOHA. They are seperate things which is kind of nice, the reason i intially didn't like the organisation was because it seemed to push religion on to people, but if you go on to the Australian website, it explains it is non religious and does not accept donations.
This seems funny to have a charity that you can't give money to, that was my thought. However in my opinion, i think its great to get the word out there that people do suffer mental illness, they do self harm and addiction exists. It's so cool to see people trying to break the taboo of the issue because it really is hard to live with it and have people not understand or know what it is.
i hope that rant made sense and cleared some things up :)

-Rainbow- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -unself- View Post
In response to the money side of things,
the Australian one accepts no donations and if you wish to donate money, you can donate to the American TWLOHA.
The way I've taken that is, you donate the money to the american charity for use in america.

i wouldn't given them a penny anyway. but eh.

The Hierophant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Queen Crabbit
Are you a florist?

I am currently:

I would give them less than a penny.

I'd moon them; and tell them to get over themselves and go eff themselves also.

They're a crap organisation.

&& then buffy staked edward. the end.

Queen Crabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
ThinkingofRecovery

I am currently:

There always end up a big heated argument when this is brought up.

I have nothing of use to add :)

"Everything is possible through Christ, who gives me strength". Phillipians 4:13

ThinkingofRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
-Rainbow-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hierophant View Post
The way I've taken that is, you donate the money to the american charity for use in america.

i wouldn't given them a penny anyway. but eh.

Yeah, I think they put the American link on the Australian site because they are under the same name. If you were to donate money, it would go to America but it does state on the site in a fair few places they they will not accept donations. I personally, would not give the American charity a penny either because i don't like the way the approach the issue and I am not American. The Australian one is lots different, there is no mention of God and they don't try to make you buy things. They just stand purely to spread the word and break the taboo.

-Rainbow- is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)