RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #1
Rosie3901505

I am currently:
Contains sexual abuse - Advice about testifying...needing to talk to someone

So I posted this in the serious discussion section (I apologize if that was the wrong section) but long story short I am being forced to testify against my abuser in court. There is no way to get out of it. I am looking for someone to talk to about it - preferably someone who is in a similar situation - who can help me through it. I don't really know what to do and I am very afraid.

Love,

Rosie

Rosie3901505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

I'm so sorry you did not get a response to this. How are you doing?

I can imagine testifying in court is a very difficult experience. Did the police or whoever asked you to testify give you the number for any sort of rape crisis support charity who might be able to support you through this?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
tiptoes
Forum Mod

I am currently:

When I had to go to court the police offered to put me in touch with someone who could help me with understanding the process and give me the opportunity to go and look around the court etc. I didn't take them up on the offer so don't know how that would have gone, but it might be worth asking one of the police officers involved in the case if there is someone like that available (from recollection I think they were victim liaison officers or something like that)

Would it be worth asking if you could give evidence by video link or similar (not sure on what the criteria is for that)?

When I went to court all the prosecution witnesses were in their own waiting room so we never saw the accused or any of his family etc. In our case the judge decided that he didn't need to hear our evidence to make his decision so I didn't have to give evidence in the end.

In my dreams I slew the dragon

tiptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Patent Pending
★ Katie ★

I am currently:

Hi there,

How are things going?

When I testified it was through a video interview so I actually wasn't in court, but as Sarah said, you should be offered support in helping you through the process and an assigned person you can talk to if you have any concerns/questions.

This page here might have some useful advice - assuming you're in the UK, if not I could point you to advice in your area.

Katie.

x x x

It's the ups and downs of living life this way. Promise me you'll never go away. Just stay with me through one more night because it's always darkest before the light and now I promise you I'll never turn away. I won't let you give us one less heart to break...

Patent Pending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
OverEmotional

I am currently:

Although Im not in the same situation I have been wanting my mother to do this for a long time so well done you for having the courage to do this!! Yes its going to be tough, horrible, frightening and making you feel vulnerable, but remember why you are doing this!! Its important and necessary and I for one am super proud of you, I know its not easy! According to this link the police can assign you a family liaison officer, maybe you could ring the appropriate station and inquire? Xxx
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/a_to_c/c...ual_abuse/#a06

OverEmotional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:54 PM   #6
Ballerina123
XXX

I am currently:

This is something I might have to do.
I have been referred to victim support who are helping me get the help I need.
They offer counselling and emotional and practical support.
I was also told that if the case goes to court I can do a video interview so I don't actually have to turn up in court. Could you ask for that?

Ballerina123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
Hermione Granger
Rock and Rollin' All Night

I am currently:

That's horrible. Both my parents work in court systems, actually. Do you have enough proof and evidence to testify that ruthless person? I may be able to help OVER the internet, considering you're in another continent currently.

I'm so sorry this happened, though. Be strong.

Keep your head up, sweetie. Be rad and hella cool.

Hermione Granger is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)