RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 12-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
Sleepless123

I am currently:
Two queries - Tapering off Lorazepam & Zopiclone following long term use and am I really high risk?

Hi

This week I met with a new doc from mental health services. I think I can work with her and she says she will help me reduce and stop some of the seven medications I am on for my mental health.

I have two queries which I wondered whether anyone might be able to help with please?

Query One - Last July I took a serious OD and ended up in ICU and psych hosp. Since coming out of hospital last August I have been prescribed Lorazepam and Zopiclone as PRN for over a year straight. The doctor informed I should not have been prescribed these for so long and in the next few months we will have to look at reducing/stopping them. I understand what the doctor is saying but it is the nights which I struggle with most and when my distress is at my highest it feels like being sedated is sometimes my only hope of not doing something very dangerous. I really struggle with my distress during the nights and the serious overdose I took last year was taken about 3am in the morning. Has anyone else managed to successfully reduce or stop Lorazepam and/or Zopiclone after having it prescribed as PRN for over a year?

Query Two - On Thursday the new doc said I could still only pick up my meds fortnightly as ‘you are so high risk’. I don’t understand why she feels I am that high risk. Ok I’ve nearly died in ICU from overdoses 3 times but my last OD and hospitalisation was over a year ago so presumably really I’m not high risk at all?

Hope you are all as ok as you can be. Many thanks for any assistance.

i do not always manage to be around but i wish you all the very best - love and luck to you all!

Sleepless123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
Auror.
Camden

As far as I'm aware, if you've had any overdose that requires medical attention (meaning professionals know about it, not to imply that like, any other overdose that doesn't get medical attention isn't serious), you're going to be high risk and will always remain so. The amount of time doesn't matter because it becomes a liability for a medical provider to prescribe meds.

That said, if you don't think you are anymore, that's a conversation to have with your providers as well as why they think you are high risk and what would need to happen/change for that to change. I don't really know that we can advise here to be honest, since that's something that only professionals can really say based on knowing you and your situation.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:36 PM   #3
xlaurenx

I am currently:

In relation to question 1. The fact you have been on them meds for a decent length of time, means that they wont just drop it and do it very slowly. You could always tell your concerns to the doc. That you know it will need reducing but its a worry as you have relied on it so to speak? And nights are when you struggle the most? What about asking them to go at your pace for reducing them?

In regards to question 2. The statement about you been high risk sounds like its relating to your history in that when you have previously oded. It has been very serious eg ICU. So eventhough it was over a year ago. The point would be that you are high risk as when you have oded (previously) its been very serious. Its IF you was to feel that low again and take a od the risk of serious damage would be higher. Does that make sense?

xlaurenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)