RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
breeze18

DIY Recovery Bracelets

I know that the shop on here has shut down and the recovery bracelets are no longer available, but I was wondering if anyone on here knows where I can buy the components to make my own recovery bracelet. I've tried searching on eBay but the truth is I don't even know what I'm looking for!!

Also, can someone help refresh my memory? If I remember rightly, the bracelets consisted of two different coloured beads (yellow and green???) and for every week or month you got through without self harming, you replaced a yellow bead with a green one and so on (please feel free to correct me on this).

breeze18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Bizarrely, I can answer this rather extensively, so here goes!

Beads
I used to buy these and they were very similar to the ones in the recovery bracelets from the RYL. The link is to an item by the same seller that I bought from, although I always got 6mm or 8mm so I'm not sure if 4mm will perhaps be too small, but if you just search for cats eye beads you'll get tons from other sellers too.

Colours
The bracelets were orange and white I think. The bracelets that I can remember are:
SH awareness = all orange
SH recovery = alternating orange and white
1 month free = one quarter white (all together) and the rest orange
3 months free(?) = half white (all together) half orange
6 months free(?) = three quarters white and the rest orange
1 year free = one orange bead and the rest white
free = all white

I was slightly winging it there, but I hope that that is vaguely right! I think there were some ED recovery bracelets in the shop too, but the small size was sold out every time I looked (lol) so I don't know what they looked like.

I hope that's helpful :)

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
Auror.
Camden

Jenna's (I am pretty sure) right! The ed ones were blue and white alternating beads. I still have one of each actually??!!

edit - so for some reason my mind is confusing the awareness and recovery ones and thinking they are the other way around? but i think jenna is right because i never wore them assuming i would when i "recovered" and then yea.

Last edited by Auror. : 04-11-2018 at 04:51 AM.

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

You can't always keep it separate.
This is happening, this is part of you.

Auror. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
Auror.
Camden

WHY DO I EVEN STILL HAVE THESE WHAT THE HELL SELF

Please do not give me virtual hugs unless you are only using the hug function on threads. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
one_step_closer
The Shadow of the Day

I think I have quite a few of them. Nostalgia. The ones where the beads were solid colours mostly.

Edit:

Last edited by one_step_closer : 04-11-2018 at 11:56 AM.

I put it down on paper and then the ghost does not ache so much.

Don't try to calm the storm, calm yourself, the storm will pass.

You didn't come this far just to come this far.

one_step_closer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

This is the bracelets I have. There was a rainbow bracelet which didn't stand for anything in particular but was sold in the shop. I have it but I haven't got a picture of it.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Camden, you could well be right! I'm now thinking that there was a 'trying to stop' one as well? With just one white bead and the rest orange? It's the second one in Dawn's picture I think.
Also megajealz of your ED one. I'm pretty sure I bought the beads and made my own, such was my enthusiasm for being a card-carrying (/bracelet-wearing?) anorexic :P

Lindsay, I've never seen those solid colour beads before, must have been before my time!

Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Oh, I've just remembered! After the pleasant semi-transparent cats eye beads didn't it change again to some slightly non-spherical ones? They might have been a tiny bit glittery? I don't like change so I was so far from OK with that and then Katy sent me an old style 'free' bracelet so I could complete my collection without having to get the Dodgy New Beads but somehow it fell out of the envelope in the post and that was the end of that.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
Auror.
Camden

There definitely was a trying to stop one.

The solid ones like Lindsay and Dawn have were like v1 and the cat eye were v2 I believe. I don't recall them changing again after that but it's possible.

Also Jenna, I will send you the ed one if you want? I kinda want to keep one (the orange is fine for me to keep) though just for like, sentimental value? But if you PM me your address since I think I only have a really old one for you, then I can send it! :)

Old 04-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Greyscale
Chat Mod

Oh oh my gosh Jenna you're right I think. I think it switched to a slightly faceted bead that had a some sort of glimmery coating after the cats' eye beads. I think I got one in a Christmas giveaway thing years ago but I've no idea where it ended up. I also had two of the silicone wristbands but one's definitely lost and the other one is too big and buried somewhere and solid orange and I dislike orange.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
Auror.
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
Oh oh my gosh Jenna you're right I think. I think it switched to a slightly faceted bead that had a some sort of glimmery coating after the cats' eye beads. I think I got one in a Christmas giveaway thing years ago but I've no idea where it ended up. I also had two of the silicone wristbands but one's definitely lost and the other one is too big and buried somewhere and solid orange and I dislike orange.
Are you sure I didn't just give you the giant orange silicone one? For some reason I thought I panicked because bright orange and too big and just gave it to you. I had a black one that just said RYL from potentially the same year Christmas giveaway and I thought I still had it but also cannot find it. I do still have the fortune teller mood changing fish thing though.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #12
Greyscale
Chat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror. View Post
Are you sure I didn't just give you the giant orange silicone one? For some reason I thought I panicked because bright orange and too big and just gave it to you. I had a black one that just said RYL from potentially the same year Christmas giveaway and I thought I still had it but also cannot find it. I do still have the fortune teller fish though.
You may have given it to me, I mostly remember that it was the same year as the black one that I actually did wear and then lost. I did just find it though so I guess if anyone wants it who has wrists larger than me and Camden (speaking for myself I'd say my wrists are.. average?) please let me know? It is all orange and says Not Alone. It's been sitting on my bookcase for years I guess.

Greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #13
Auror.
Camden

Yea uh did a thing:
https://web.archive.org/web/20091031...rlife.com/shop

Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #14
Pi.R^2

I am currently:

Oh that would be awesome if you don’t mind Camden! I will ponder something fun to send you in return!

Old 09-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #15
Auror.
Camden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi.R^2 View Post
Oh that would be awesome if you don’t mind Camden! I will ponder something fun to send you in return!
Just PM me your address! It's small enough it should be simple to send. :)

Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

That is the rainbow bracelet which didn't stand for anything in particular.

Last edited by not_so_insig : 10-11-2018 at 12:33 AM.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)