RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-09-2015, 04:01 AM   #1
Ham Bear
Ham Bear

I am currently:
Birth month and mental illness

So after looking at the poll here on birth month, I noticed that the highest numbers were January (my birth month) and November. I began to wonder why this is, and after some reading, it turns out that babies born during winter are more prone to health problems like mental illness, which may explain why the most common month on here is January. (Now, I realize that not everyone on here necessarily is mentally ill, but in my personal experience, many people with these issues are.)
Its also interesting to compare people you know with their birth month and how it compares to them. Of course, they'res always going to be exceptions, but it's interesting to look at the correlation.
Supposedly, the seasonal factors affect the pregnancy in ways that produce these results; for example, a mother may have less access to certain fruits and vegetables during some months and that lack of vitamins could affect the baby.
January was the month with the highest amount of cases of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, while May had the most people with depression.
Anybody have any thoughts?

Ham Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Sounds interesting

I was born in August.

I wonder how the months correlate with members who live in Australia?

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
[Luna]

Hmm how interesting.

I'm a May baby.

Let us go then you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table
- T.S. Elliot

[Luna] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
Sentient Treacle
Foxy lady.

I am currently:

Interesting, I'm born in January.

Oh god I want to hear you say,
I want to hear you say that you were wrong again

This is the first thing
I have understood:
Time is the echo of an axe
Within a wood.

Sentient Treacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
clobo

I am currently:

Interesting. I'm a December baby.

"If you're going through hell, Keep going" - Winston Churchill

clobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 03:30 AM   #6
Furry77

I am currently:

How would this work with premature babies?

Furry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Ham Bear
Ham Bear

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry77 View Post
How would this work with premature babies?
I suppose it would just be whatever months you developed in while your mom was pregnant with you, so like if you were a month early, the months that affected you were the eight months you were inside your mom and the circumstances during those months. I don't really know though, just guessing

Old 14-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Filth
The Wroth

I am currently:

I'd be interested to read the source where you got that info; not that I'm skeptical, just that I'm nerdy. I was born in March, technically over the cusp into spring.

Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
Iamcatbug
Cat

I'm October, my mum is April.

I'd also be interested to see the source.

Iamcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Premature babies I believe are also at risk of having mental health issues I think due to the difficulties in attachment etc when they are first born.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/news/reco...-problems.aspx

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #11
The One Who

I am currently:

Interesting, but I think this likely to be a case of confusing the correlation and the cause. Or, it's simply coincidence, there are after all, only twelve months in the year and billions of people on the planet.

The One Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
Ham Bear
Ham Bear

I am currently:

http://www.livescience.com/20237-bir...disorders.html

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/05...nia/38936.html

These were the main two sites I used, I also skimmed over a few others; just google "birth month and mental illness."

Old 14-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
Ham Bear
Ham Bear

I am currently:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=118260&page=1
This one has some good info too.

Old 15-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
VivienSm

Hmm, interesting thing, i was born on November.

VivienSm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
crazykat
Fight for another day

I'm from Australia and born in June, which is also winter over here

"Recovery is something that you have to work
on every single day and it's
something that doesn't
get a day off."

crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
mikey
I'm a girl

I am currently:

Kind of related, I watched a programme last night about how the month of CONCEPTION of a baby can drastically alter its survival rates as the child grows older. To do with the diet the mother is consuming at the time of conception (wet vs dry season; leafy greens vs carbs) and how certain genes in the developing foetus are turned on or off by presence or lack of certain vitamins and minerals.

But perhaps less of an issue in developed countries.

There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: 'This glass is half full'. And then there are those who say: 'This glass is half empty'.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: 'What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!

Terry Pratchett

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
sherlock holmes
do you like my potato?

I've heard about this before at college. It's something that has been looked into and debated about in psychology. There's lots of different theories but I don't think there's a definitive cause and effect reason yet.

Isn’t it funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back, everything is different…

you once called your brain a hard drive, well say hello to the virus.

sherlock holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #18
Too Shy

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Who View Post
Interesting, but I think this likely to be a case of confusing the correlation and the cause. Or, it's simply coincidence, there are after all, only twelve months in the year and billions of people on the planet.
I would tend to agree with this. Although I have come across some of the arguments for certain factors (such as infections and viruses more common in the winter months) which may be a contributory factor in the development of some mental health problems, I'd guess in those who for whatever reason (be that genetic, environmental/developmental etc) are already more susceptible to those problems, rather than any more direct cause.

I was born in April, around 5 weeks premature (but a twin, and 5lbs 13, so not bad at all for a twin). I have read articles which suggest that the birth dates of people with anorexia peak in late spring and early summer (often with infections during winter months cited as potential factors, but no cause-effect ever established). Or, for example, that conception for mothers who restrict/have EDs is more likely to warmer months due to body temperature fluctuations. In turn, modelling of restrictive behaviours, environmental factors (and possibly any genetic factors I guess) may increase the likelihood of said child then going on to develop disordered eating habits too. Or e.g. increased sunlight exposure in the summer months may lift mood for some parents with mental health problems, leading to an increase in spring babies (again, total hypothesising, nothing more than coincidental factors in general. And this is an example of parental MH rather than the subsequent child, of course).

But then, I went on to develop anorexia nervosa (and not anything birth-related at all, I would put it down to being naturally sensitive and perfectionistic anyway, in combination with horrible school experiences), my twin has absolutely no difficulties with mental health at all.

...Anyways, massive ramble much. Basically, many hypotheses, no cause-effect, correlation does not equal causation, often coincidence. Is my opinion!

Too Shy is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)