RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Feel_Good_inc.
I am a leaf on the wind; watch how I soar

I am currently:
10 tips for better writing

Writing is a great way to express yourself, work through your own thoughts, and all-around exercise your brain. In honor of NaNoWriMo and writing week here at Lifehacker, here are some of our favorite ways to improve your writing. Photo by Ramas Gecas.

10. Organize Your Thoughts Before Writing

While there's something to be said for spontaneous writing, it really helps if you sit down and organize your thoughts beforehand. Apps like Scrivener and yWriter are great tools specifically aimed at writers, but you could always use our favorite all-around organizers like Evernote and OneNote. No matter your favorite method of organizing yourself, you'll find that putting together long-form pieces is much easier with a rough outline to work from.

9. Set a Regular Schedule

Even if you're not the procrastination type, setting a rigid schedule for your writing and sticking to it is one of the best ways to perfect your writing. Do it in the morning for best results, and break it up into small increments to avoid anxiety. Don't write during unscheduled times, either (though jotting down notes is okay—inspiration can strike at the strangest of times). The more you keep to your schedule, the more you'll stay motivated by a long chain of successful writing sessions, too.

8. Keep Up With Good Grammar

Proofreading is an important part of writing, and despite some folks having a knack for good grammar, none of us is perfect. Keep yourself on your toes with some lighthearted grammar resources, and be sure to take advantage of some of the great word tools out there. Not only will they keep you writing correctly, but they're likely to keep you learning new words and idioms to freshen up your writing.

7. Keep a Journal

While many of us have our pet writing projects, one of the best ways to improve your writing (and support your personal development) is to keep a separate journal. Use a tool like 750 Words or One Page Per Day to force yourself into a regular journal where you just write whatever comes to mind. If you find it too difficult to just sit down and start writing, you can plan out a goal for your journal beforehand—it keeps you focused without burdening with rules. Be sure to check out our Hive Five on journaling tools, too, for more inspiration.

6. Use Distraction-Free Writing Tools

Computers have given us a lot of great tools in the name of writing, but they also provide a myriad of distractions that can throw us off. Here at Lifehacker, we've always been fans of distraction-free writing tools—programs that block out all the other stuff on your screen and give you a large writing space where you can just go at it. Some of our favorites include Ommwriter, Writemonkey, and Creawriter—though you can always just turn Google Docs and Microsoft Word into distraction-free settings, if you so choose.

5. Go Longhand for a Change

Even if you prefer to do your writing digitally (though many of you are still big pen and paper fans), doing some good old-fashioned handwriting is always a good change of pace. Handwriting improves your cognitive abilities and stays out of the way of your thought process, so it's a good way to look at things from a new angle and keep you on your toes. So grab a moleskine notebook, make sure to keep your grip loose, and have fun with it.

4. Learn From Other Good Writers

No man or woman is an island, and it's unlikely that any writer would be anywhere without observing others. Never stop reading, and always keep an eye on what famous writers like Kurt Vonnegut, Stephen King, Conan O'Brien, Jerry Seinfeld, and many others are saying about the strategies they use to write well—you never know when you may discover something new.

3. Know Your Most Common Mistakes and Avoid Them

When we fall into bad habits, it can be hard to get out of them. We all have our own grammar mistakes, typos, cliches, and misheard expressions that constantly haunt even our best writing. Know which mistakes are your most common, and focus on fixing them one at a time. If more extreme measures are needed, you can also consider autocorrecting them as you write.

2. Beat Writer's Block

Even with the best laid plans, we all get stuck at one point or another. While most of these tips should keep you from experiencing it often, those few times you're cursed with a bad case of writer's block, try curing it with some writing toys, or draft it as an email to get the juices flowing. Of course, just showing up to your scheduled time works pretty well, too. If you find it becomes a recurring problem, stop your writing sessions in the middle of a sentence to give yourself somewhere to pick up from the next time you sit down—there's nothing worse for writer's block than a blank page.

1. Remember Why You're Writing

In the end, we're all writing for a reason, whether it's because we want to make a living out of it or challenge ourselves to do something new during NaNoWriMo. Remind yourself why you write to keep yourself motivated. Write your goals on your mirror with dry erase markers, or try one of our many other motivation tips out there. After all, it's not about what you do, but why.

SOURCE

Don't be fooled by my smooth skin. The deepest scars are the ones unseen.
Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Feel_Good_inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
bexidecimal
squidgey mc pokeson

I am currently:

loved that list and saved some links, thanks alot =]

smile, your beautiful

if someone hates you, be proud that youve done something worthwhile enough for them to disaprove of

if life doesnt go right.. go left =]

bexidecimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Actually love this lis. Thanks Adam, definitely well needed.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
Freedom Fighter

back to that uni essay

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
I must have you!"

Thomas Parke D’Invilliers

Freedom Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
whirlpools

Brilliant. This might be useful in CC, too.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Goldenbird

I am currently:

Great list!

Goldenbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #7
consequential

Writing is a creative endevour,therefore there can be no rules.I never followed any rules and Im doing alright .

It became like a sort of prison. Encased in a silver shell, words so full of bleeding need spilled like drops on dry leaves. And all the while laughter prevailed a long way from here. Nowhere land, nowhere time, nowhere space.

consequential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

they aren't rules. they're tips :P

Remember compliments you received, forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how..~ Baz Lurhman.
Letting it get to you - You know what that's called? Being alive. Best thing there is. Being alive right now that's all that counts. ~ Doctor Who "The Doctors Wife"
06.November.2011

Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Gone.

I love this list :) thanks.
*saves links*

Left.

Gone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Fry

I am currently:

Number 9 is incorrect.
Especially:
Quote:
Don't write during unscheduled times
Talk about needless rigidity!

Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do you want?

(Used to be ~sonic~)

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
Feel_Good_inc.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Heart-Hobbit View Post
Number 9 is incorrect.
Especially:

Talk about needless rigidity!
While I agree there is always a place for spontaneous writing I find that sticking to a schedule works extremely well for me.
When I first started writing I used to find myself working from about 10pm well into the early hours of the morning. I would have to get by on between two and four hours sleep before getting up for school the next day.
No matter how tired I was when the evening came about I just couldn't sleep because my mind flowed with ideas that I just had to get down.
If I tried to write at any other time I just couldn't think of anything. For some reason my brain only turned itself onto writing after 10pm.
I had unwittingly put myself onto that schedule. Only able to work on my writing after 10pm.
I took many long weeks to readjust that routine. I had to because I was practically a zombie during the day.

Having a routine time for writing, a time when you can be alone, can be beneficial, I guess for some. Put everything else aside and just focus on your work. Something builds up in the brain and it just realises "right, this is the writing time. Put all brain power into imagination." It just becomes part of a daily routine and it becomes something you expect and, with practise, it flows quickly, naturally and efficiently. The longer you stick with it, the better and easier it becomes.

06.November.2011

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Ardea

Thanks for the list, it's really helpful at the moment! :)

Ardea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
sweepingly
✗my wishes over their airspace

I am currently:

this is really useful. thank you.

sweepingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallifetime View Post
Writing is a creative endeavor, therefore there can be no rules. I never followed any rules and I'm doing all right.
FTFY :P

Joking aside, though, although writing is supposed to be creative, creative and free are two very, very different thing.

Stephen Fry wrote a very good book about this - his basic point was that very few authors are skilled enough to break the conventional rule decently. It's tricky.

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)