RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Harley
Webmaster

I am currently:
‘Brain pacemaker’ could ease depression

updated 5:30 p.m. ET April 25, 2008<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true ));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633447558452200000');</SCRIPT>

CHICAGO - Two of the largest and longest studies so far show a “brain pacemaker” can effectively treat depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder, researchers said on Friday.
Devices implanted in the chest, with leads that send electrical impulses to parts of the brain, have already been approved to treat movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor and dystonia.
Dr. Ali Rezai, head of neurosurgery at the Cleveland Clinic, who led the studies, said the technique known as deep brain stimulation helped the most severely depressed patients improve significantly.

Researchers from Butler Hospital/Brown Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School were also involved in the depression study.

Seventeen paarea of the brain and is likely to generate similar findings.
He said there were no serious side effects in using the Medtronic device.
The trial treating OCD included 26 patients who were followed for three years and also showed marked improvement.
Butler Hospital/Brown University, University of Florida and University of Leuven also contributed to the OCD study.

Medtronic has an application before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for approval to use deep brain stimulation for OCD.
A clinical trial using the treatment for severe depression will be initiated this year.
The FDA in 2005 approved Cyberonics Inc implantable device for treatment-resistant depression. It sends signals to the brain via the vagus nerve in the neck.

Source :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24317065/

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Some Kind Of Monster
Metallica sucks, don't even ask.

I am currently:

I've heard about this a while ago on TV, and that some race car driver with Tourette syndrome went through such a treatment, or so I think. It sounds very interesting.

Some Kind Of Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
XxXflowerfairyXxX

I am currently:

It sounds a bit scary to me.
I hope they'd only use it in very severe situations.
It would involve relatively intrusive surgery would it not?
Ah I dunno, I'm kinda doubtful.
I mean, 26 patents tested isn't a huge sample.

XxXflowerfairyXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Stellata

Youch. No thanks. Give me therapy, anti-depressants and a box of tissues any day....

Semi-flippant answer, but it's how I honestly feel.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #5
Artychik
Tired and Confused

I am currently:

I was actually offered this some years ago, the SHO I was seeing suggested it as one of the consultants (not mine) on the ward was leading the trial in scotland.

I didn't go for it. I think the guy was just trying to score some points with his boss

Last edited by Artychik : 28-04-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: to make more sense

xxx
--------------------

Artychik is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)