RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 27-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
ButterflyKisses

I am currently:
Depression and Job Applications

Ive been applying for a lot of jobs for about a month and not getting anywhere.
Anyway, today I gave my CV into Fat Face cos there's some jobs going, but i know they prefer Application forms. The guy sed a CV was ok tho.

But I downloaded the form from their website, but came across this question:
Please give details of any major illness, or condition, that you have suffered from in the last 5 years.

How many days sickness/absence have you had in the last year? _________________

Do I have to say I have had depression and problems with self harm? I really don't feel comfortable with saying that seeing as im recovering now and just want to move past it.
I also took alot of time off from sixth form due to depression.

I guess the question is, is it ok to lie on ure application form? because to be honest, if I say I've had mental health problems, ive pretty much lost the job.
In my opinion I don't think it's necessary that I put anything to do with my mental health.

OR shall I just not hand in an application form as well as the cv??

I'd like your opinion, thanks. X

If I could sleep forever
I could forget about everything

ButterflyKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
loopylucy08
*Becky*

I am currently:

I think on most occupational health forms which should be with an application form, it is unlawful to fail to disclose illnesses that you have been diagnosed with. But in most jobs, the occupational health form is NOT dealt with by the employers but sent to an independent health body for assessment- that is what happened with my weekend job, so the actual people I work with and my boss and stuff are completely unaware of the fact I am ill. To be honest, it didnt really affect me at all. All that happened was a nurse from the OH team rang and up and asked me a few questions. I told her I'd been admitted 2 hospitl 4 ODs and she was really nice and she said it was fine 4 me 2 work. The thing is, if u lied and then somehow they found out, it would b a lot worse 4u than if you'd told them. U cant lose yr job on the grounds of having mental health problems- that is illegal and a breach of the disability discrimination act. I recently spoke 2 a psychiatrist because the career I wish 2 enter will b very difficult OH wise 4 me 2 get in2, but he said he reaconed even though I still SH and Im not @ all well, they wouldnt b able 2 discriminate against me.
If u feel more comfortable, just leave it as the CV. But please dont b put off by the fact that u have 2 disclose, because I would seriously doubt they could turn u down as a result of what u hav been through, esp now u r on the road 2 recovery.

"The purest expression of pain is pain itself"
Lovin ya all my RYLelies!
PM me any time
Rebecca
xxx

loopylucy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
ButterflyKisses

I am currently:

thankyou very much for replying.
I don't think I'll send in a Application form aswell unless they ask for one.
But if i do I'll probably just say I had problems with depression but am recovering. That I had a psychiatric assessment and no serious action was taken.

cheers x

If I could sleep forever

Old 27-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
ickle-duckling
twisted logic

I am currently:

I think for days absence you can say that this is your first job for a while so you don't believe this question applies; that before that you were at school and therefore not working.

As for the other one I'd describe it as you did above showing that it's a problem in the past.

Em x

change
everything you are
and everything you were

ickle-duckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Minty
Pringle is an evil cat

I am currently:

If he said a CV was ok don't fill in an application form as well. If they wanted you to fill one they would have given you one to do so. The only time you should need to fill in a medical questionnaire is when you get a job here you just have to put depression down therefore they are aware if you need anytime away due to the condition and haven't consulted a doctor it was already an existing condition. Hope the job hunting goes well i know it can be a pain in the neck.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

I wouldnt personally, but thats cos im uncomfortable with it. They cant not employ you because of it, its discrimination.
Would you consider it "a major illness?"
Hope it goes okay x

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
ButterflyKisses

I am currently:

thankyou all. x x x

If I could sleep forever

Old 28-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Le Almighty Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry-Gashes View Post
I wouldnt personally, but thats cos im uncomfortable with it. They cant not employ you because of it, its discrimination.
Would you consider it "a major illness?"
Hope it goes okay x
No, they certainly can't discriminate against you; however, if you lie about your health (physical or mental) then they could fire you. For example (and put very simply), say you have depression; you're aware of this but don't put it down on your application form; you then are having to take lots of days off for the depression, then your employers would be able to fire you. You generally speaking sign a contract which involves a clause stating that you pledge to work to the best of your abilities and a clause concerning being fit for work; now if you admit to having depression, then your employer can allow for this, if you don't admit it however, then you're in breach of your contract, hence they can fire you. This is why it's also important to inform your employer of any changes in diagnosis'.

Hope that makes sense.

18.11 28.4 6.5 22.31

My heart just needs his smile, that i can't forget, like so melancholy a kiss.

Le Almighty Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Oh right. I think i meant to say "if you write it down, they cant not employ you because you have/had depression"

But that clears things anyways :)

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)