RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 20-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
Rug

I am currently:
Just an idea at the moment.

I have had this idea to write a short book which isn't really a story or an autobiography. I kinda want it to be a series of short memories. Not sure if they need to be in any particular order or anything.

One thing I want to do is within the short chapters mostly talk about what is happening in the memory but almost give tasters of myself and my own situations. Maybe hint at things about myself or my life and past.

Perhaps this will set the order of the memories. I want the reader to have come to some conclusion about me by the end of it. Maybe not concretely just... You know I think he probably was like this or had this happen.

Problem is I am wondering if my memories need to contain some sort of theme. Do I want to talk about my views on care and mental health and define the memories that shaped what I believe about recovery or do I want it to be less structured and more about random events.

I am wondering what your opinions of this idea are? Preferably any criticisms on the idea or any thoughts on how you think it should be as am okay at motivating myself and have decided to write something either way.

Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #2
whirlpools

I'm no writer, but I wonder if writing a few memory snippets initially might help you to get a sense of what it is you're really wanting to communicate. You might find that a theme develops almost on its own.

As a visual artist I'd probably be looking into the concept of memory, which, in itself doesn't really follow a linear pattern or narrative. It can look quite disjointed from the outside. You may find that one memory leads to another. You might develop flow from particular words, phrases or images that reappear in each little snippet of text, even if the memories don't follow a specific theme.

I don't know if I've made any sense there at all, and have probably not answered your question. I guess I would start writing some memories/thoughts and develop it from there. You might find that the story you're really wanting to tell comes to you.

whirlpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
Rug

I am currently:

I know just what you mean. Infact, I had already done a memory before I posted this and that is how the post came about in the first place. I am unsure because the memory I wrote about I was not sure people would be interested in reading.

As in the memory might be boring to other people.

Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
MoNo
untz

Quote:
Problem is I am wondering if my memories need to contain some sort of theme.
yes

it doesn't matter what, just give it some kind of structure. something for a reader to look forward to rather than lol random. that way you have an end goal, and not just listlessly writing stuff 'til you get bored.

like even having the memories go in chronological order is one thing you can do. continuity is good. progression is also good. you could also make the events episodic— hell you could even arc recovery in there. like writing stuff that formed your initial basis of wanting to recover, and having the overarching narrative being about seeking recovery and your views on what recovery really means, even if a lot of the memories themselves were not about recovery, but just random events that happened. that way people who read it can empathize with the character (you)

or you can write random stuff and see how it goes. i mean i'm not a writer so up 2 u

about the boring thing tho, no clue what other people see as boring i mean i've written a lot of random stuff and not many people say anything so i just assume it's boring Cx

Last edited by MoNo : 21-02-2017 at 07:35 AM.
MoNo is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)