RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Lilo

I am currently:
Living alone in 2 bed flat or having a flatmate?

In a month I will be moving into a 2 bed flat which I will be able afford if both my jobs go well. I like to have my own space and peace and quiet although I don't want to isolate myself or get stuck living with a flatmate I don't like.

If I live alone my rent + bills will be £850 per month but I will be able to use the second room as my workspace/office. However if I have a flatmate my rent and bills will only come to £425 a month which is a big difference.

So does anyone have any advice on living alone or with just 1 flatmate?

Xxx

Lilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
griddlebone
Head of Chat/Forum Mod.

I am currently:

I guess it depends on what you value more, your privacy or the saving money. I think that because you have 2 jobs there is an increased risk of if you lost one job you would be in trouble rent wise far quicker then if you were splitting the bills with someone.

I think you can interview for housemates so you could see if you think you would get on or not. It is a big gamble, but that also depends on what you're like as a housemate. ie how tidy you expect things to be/how low you like the noise levels etc.

You could possibly start as the only tenant and then if you find its sucking up too much money you could then get a housemate.

There are times to stay put, and what you want will come to you.
But there are times to go out into the world and find such a thing for yourself.
I aint no abacus but you can count on me.

griddlebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Morpheus

Personally i cant live with anyone but a partner. I an a very private person and even living with my parents is not good for me. Flatmates is not for everyone but i understand that the extra money is attractive. Some find living alone difficult as well though.

I have known people who has moved in with strangers and had things stolen and i have also known someone who moved in with a close friend, got cheated for a lot of money and they never talked again. The same person got cheated out of money when living with her sister as well.

Its too scary for me. I could never live with a stranger and i wouldnt risk causing unbecessary conflicts by living with a friend and possibly ruin a friendship. As i said, its not for me but i can understand the reasons why you consider it. Just make sure its a person of goid character and have a good talk with the oerson moving in if you decide to, so you wont end up in unpleasant situations.

Den fuldkomne kærlighed,
Kan ikke eksistere blandt ufuldkomne

Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Cacoethes
90's B*tch

I am currently:

I think you can interview potential flatmates.

I've lived alone for a year and a half now and I honestly would prefer having a flatmate, it gets very lonely and you can go days without talking to someone.

Also, if you have an extra room would you have to pay bedroom tax? I'm unsure of how that actually works tbh.

I'm fine! Totally fine. I don't know why it's coming out all loud and squeaky, 'cause really, I'm fine!

Who else is fine?!?!?

Cacoethes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
random.swirls
Head forum moderator

I am currently:

Depending on where you live could you see if you could find a part time lodger?

Would it be easy to afford on your own? Are your jobs secure? Could you find a one bed place?

If not you can definately interview flatmates etc.

When we lose twenty pounds... we may be losing the twenty best pounds we have! We may be losing the pounds that contain our genius, our humanity, our love and honesty. ~Woody Allen
Is a chocolate muffin loving glitter ball

random.swirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacoethes View Post
I think you can interview potential flatmates.

I've lived alone for a year and a half now and I honestly would prefer having a flatmate, it gets very lonely and you can go days without talking to someone.

Also, if you have an extra room would you have to pay bedroom tax? I'm unsure of how that actually works tbh.
Bedroom tax only applies if you are a person on benefits and is living in a housing associations/ councils property. If the OP has a job the bedroom tax won't affect her.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
lozza
just trying to fly εϊз

I am currently:

I used to live with a good friend but it didnt work well. Mainly cuz we had very different lives and I was struggling a lot with my mh.

I now live alone and I love it. I do have pets though so that keeps me from getting lonely.

I guess it depends on what you want morem privacy or saving money..

sometimes being strong means not holding back the tears but letting them fall
~˙·٠Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ٠·˙~

my fur baby girls are my life <3
r.i.p my beautiful girl jackie. i will love you always no matter what - 6/5/10

lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Lilo

I am currently:

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys

I have found a few chilled out people to meet next week. And I have realised that being around people helps me out of my low moods ecen though it feels hard at times.

Also sharing with some would mean my rent would only be £350/£370 a month including bills!

Old 25-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

I currently live alone in a 2 bed house and they tried charging me bedroom tax but because I have a carer and use that room for when my carer stays over I was able to become exempt from bedroom tax (although I'm paying off 4 months of bedroom tax because I wasn't told that you could be exempt from it and they won't backdate my claim. Charming of them). It may help if you google exemption reasons to see if you fit any criteria and that will save you a wee bit of money a month.

Bedroom tax applies to all council properties, not owned homes but I don't know about private rental properties.

Last edited by fragile as glass : 25-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

fragile as glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Insig already said OP would be exempt from bedroom tax though?

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
not_so_insig
It's Bouquet! B-U-C-K-E-T!

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissa View Post
Insig already said OP would be exempt from bedroom tax though?
Since she mentioned jobs in the first post, I assume she is not collecting housing benefit, which is what is reduced if the bedroom tax applies.

Wannabe CPN : -)
"He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life." - Homer Simpson
"I hear those voices that will not be drowned"
Sanity is a nasty disease. The world would be a happier place without it. - Rilic
RIP Kat 4th July 1987- 11th June 2013

not_so_insig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile as glass View Post
Bedroom tax applies to all council properties, not owned homes but I don't know about private rental properties.
But surely the bedroom tax is only for those on housing benefits? And like insig said, OP mentions a job that will be paying the rent, so isn't going to be receiving housing benefit.

I could have misunderstood though, my research in the field of bedroom tax i minimal!

No other sadness in the world would do

Pi.R^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Lilo

I am currently:

If you live in council or private housing and you have a spare bedroom then you are only hit by the bedroom tax if you claim housing benefit, which I won't be doing.

If you private rent and work the bedroom tax has absolutely nothing to do with you

I am interviewing other tenants next week so it should go wel.

Old 26-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
fragile as glass
such a beautiful disaster

I am currently:

I really hope you find someone good. Take care - good to know full bedroom tax rules now, lol! Sorry if I confused you x

GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

Don't let the sphincter's get you down

fragile as glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Dreaming.
You are free.

I am currently:

If you're happy living with somebody (and somebody that you - as the landperson - can also choose), I think it's great to do that. It means you have somebody around/to check you locked the back door, and somebody you can come home and moan to - but somebody that you can also say "bugger off, this is my space".

There are a lot of good potential-flatmate-websites, plus you can always ask friends (friends of friends are good peoolpe to live with!)

Dreaming. is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)