RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #1
Steel Maiden
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Sensory issues

I am sorry for posting so much but I just had a thought. Does anyone else here have sensory problems? Not as in deafness, but more as in a sensory sensitivity? I'll expand. I have Asperger's syndrome as well as schiz and I am very sensitive to noise. A clock ticking or even someone talking outside can completely throw me off. I also get great physical pain when I hear a loud noise that I cannot control (ie someone else shouting or playing loud music). I have to wear earplugs a lot. I also have special screen tinting software (it gives a light blue shade to the screen) for my laptop and I always decrease the constrast on my screen a lot because I have sensitivites to bright screens. I also have tactile sensory problems and cannot wear certain clothing materials or hold certain objects. Does anyone else experience this or am I just messed up?

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.
I have autism and have problems communicating, PMs included.
Just becasue I type well doesn't mean I speak well. I am only part time verbal.

Steel Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Cryptic.
If at first you don't succeed, try try try again.

I am currently:

You're not messed up.
I'm very sensitive to noise & light too & I have tactile problems as well - similar to yours.
I think it's quite common actually.
x

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.

Cryptic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Bear
Partially hibernating

I am currently:

Because of my eye condition I have photophobia (I find light painful) but I'm sensitive to certain noises too. As you said, clocks ticking is a big one. I was in Tesco yesterday at the self service checkout, and all the machines were talking at once. I couldn't handle it and just had to get outside. That high pitched electrical noise drives me mad too, I have to unplug everything when it gets to me. There's certain pitches in music that I hate as well.
I don't have Asperger's but I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia so there might be some connection?

Three cheers for love of the simplest kind.
The coins I flip land on their sides.

Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
startingagain

Hi-sensory issues are really common with Aspergers. Sorry that you get it so bad though. x

startingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Stellata

Ditto to sensory sensitivity.
For me, it comes from all the things around my being born premature, as well as living in a chaotic, unpredictable and to a certain extent dangerous, environment as a child and teen.

Stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #6
suspendeddisconnect

yeah i do get that sometimes, though not too bad. the worst thing is i often cannot wear a shirt to sleep or if i do it has to be really loose cause anything near my neck often makes me panic. loud noises sometimes bother me really badly. funny thing is it comes and goes. so you're definitely not messed up. *hugs*

Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #7
Ami
Perfectly Flawed

I am currently:

Oh i didnt realise other people have this.

When things are too loud, it messes my head. Everything is too bright, but if its too dark,i have slight night blindness (med induced), lol. But I cant have silence either cos then i can hear voices more and noise etc.

Ticking clocks always make me anxious. Same with the neck thing. Scares me when things are to close or too tight.

I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.

Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
Dan
Beyond Repair.

I am currently:

In times where I get PTSD like symptoms; I get extremely hyper vigilant/hyper sensitive. All sounds are too loud, lights are too bright, unexpected touches shocks the bejesus out of me at times. Have myself to blame, however.

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
suspendeddisconnect

^^ i don't think you should blame yourself. it's not your fault.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
Dan
Beyond Repair.

I am currently:

Well, I knew it could cause it, and I did it anyways, so It's my fault really. I can live with it though. It's getting easier.

On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #11
PaleMoon

I am currently:

Hello from a fellow Aspie, Steel Maiden! :)

My symptoms are not as bad as yours, but I definitely have my weird tendencies. For example, I cannot wear tight clothes or long-sleeved garments. Well, I could tolerate it for a little while if I had to, but I'd be crawling out of my skin the whole time and it's usually not worth the discomfort.

I also prefer smooth food (not with chunks). I will not eat things like crunchy peanut butter, or jello with fruit. Especially drinks. Even pulp in lemonade makes me cringe.

Do you have tics by any chance, Steel Maiden? I used to have them badly and I still tic when I'm nervous or excited. It can get embarrassing out in public.

My name is Matt, and I am a boy. Feel free to PM me :)

I have learned that the world is not a safe place. Not at all. But there are so many people who love me and want to keep me safe. And that is enough.

PaleMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Steel Maiden

Hello PaleMoon! I have tics too, in my hands and on my left arm (not my right though, for some reason) and on the left side of my neck. I'm glad to meet another Aspie. To everyone else, thank you for the replies, much appreciated. Bear, I have heard that people with schizophrenia cannot filter out background stimuli or something like that.......like lights are too bright and sounds too loud.

PM me if you want a PDF copy of the ICD-10 or the Mental Health Act 1983/2007. I ALSO HAVE THE DSM-V BOOK and am a pharmacology student.

I have a visual impairment / neurological problems so I need people to type in clear text and no funny fonts. Also excuse any typos, my vision blocks things out.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Brokeninside95

I am currently:

i have something like that i dont like loud noises they scare the life out of me but it's connected to my anxiety which suck when your stuck in class with naughty 14/15 year olds and an angry teacher ive nearly burst in to tears before today

Brokeninside95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
MrsCoulter
{Fighting a War}

I am currently:

I have this a little bit - mainly that I am intolerant of certain noises and can't wear certain fabrics, eat of certain plates etc etc.

"John, being brave is going where no man has gone before and with Lizzy Stark, that is NOT what you'll be doing!" - Aunt Polly.

“I told him I was going to betray you, and betray Lyra, and he believed me because I was corrupt and full of wickedness; he looked so deep I felt sure he'd see the truth. But I lied too well. I was lying with every nerve and fiber and everything I'd ever done...I wanted him to find no good in me, and he didn't. There is none.”

MrsCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
ebec11

I am currently:

I have high functioning Autism and find noises very hard to process. I just find it hard to focus on tasks if there is outside noise, especially stuff like computers humming, clocks ticking, or people whispering. I find the quiet stuff is harder to deal with because with the louder stuff I find it overwhelming but I've dealt with it SO much that I can kinda space out if I hear it.

ebec11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #16
manic_felinemistress

I am currently:

You're not alone!
I can't block things out so in the middle of class I'll be going insane because everyone will be whispering... They always think I'm ease dropping lol I'll get headaches from sounds of metal touching, or water dripping, and I CANNOT stand having things on my feet. As soon as I get home I rip my socks off. lol It bothers me all day.
Basic thought: "I'm wearing socks..... they're too hot... they're suffocating my feet.... just too tight! Ugh, lint. Why do we have to wear close-toed shoes? I hate socks.."
I really can't stand them.. You can't get me near buttons, though.
Florescent lighting gives me migranes as well, I have to wear special glasses that are SUPPOSE to block it.
... I think you got the jist. lol

manic_felinemistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #17
Leo Pard
Flem Fatale

I am currently:

I get what you mean...
I hate loud noise but it's repetative things that really bug me. The noise like drills into my skull and gives me headaches.
I'm also super aware of lights, as in I notice flikering in flourescent lights when no one else does and I get headaches from it. This is because of my dyspraxia though...
I'm also stupidly sensitive to changes in light or volume. Like when it randomly dips then goes back up again. I guess this is useful because I do alot of lighting but in classrooms etc it is really distracting.
I also have a thing with clothes but I'm not too bad anymore, I still can't wear socks to bed as it really creeps me out so I either go with cold feet or force myself to wear them. It's not fun.
So basically your not alone?

The world is just illusion always trying to change me.
You will find wonder wherever you can, and spread joy whenever you are able.

I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, divide within me. - Frankenstein.

Leo Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Steel Maiden

Hey. Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I know what you mean about feet. I have a thing about my feet....NOBODY is allowed to touch them except myself. A chiropodist would be my ultimate nightmare, equal to torture. Cutting my toenails is something I dread and when I do it, I feel like being sick and sometimes I do even regurgitate.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #19
nikki1922

I am currently:

I am really sensitive to textures of food. I will NOT try certain things because of their color and/or texture. Like rice, its like little bits, which remind me of stuff, so I dont eat it. Someone mentioned it to me the other day, actually the woman I live with ( shes a social worker) and she said it seems like it's a big problem for me..werid

Don't Chase your Dreams...

CATCH THEM

nikki1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #20

i have similar hearing issues, though not so severe. I can't handle many people talking in overlapping conversations or various loud, high-pitched noises [this is bad, because i live within 10 blocks of two fire stations and a police station, and across the street from an emergency room, as well as younger brothers.]

i'm the same with light though.
If anyone has windows, click the blue box in the corner before you log in and choose to view in 'high contrast', it's black background on a white screen which may help [i find it easier to read]

001100111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)