RYL Forums

Forum Jump

Old 26-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
angel of despair

I am currently:
Opening jars?

This is a bit of a wierd thread. What I'm wondering is, is it normal to not be able to open jars of food and stuff every single time you try?

About three years ago I started getting leg pain and went to the GP and they told me my vitamin D was extremely low. The year after the same thing happened and i ended up on daily vitamin D tablets. The year after the same thing happened and this time they didnt check my vitamin D because I was on tablets but told me my knee tendens were swollen and advised physio. This year the pain never really left but I have mild wrist pain and arm pain as well as knee pain and leg pain was wondering if my inability to open jars is something to mention to a GP (its been a year since iv managed to open one i now have to use a knife to get them open) or if I'd sound silly.

Sorry if this is a really stupid topic id prefer to sound stupid here then to a GP!

2 Hugs Given By :
Old 26-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
PoppyLove

I am currently:

Have they considered arthritis?

Often jars are just ridiculously hard to open. But, I don't think it's a silly question to ask your doctor. It may be absolutely nothing, but it also may be connected to wrist pain. If it helps, you could tell your doctor something like, "this may be a silly question to ask...." but let him know you were just wondering. They get asked all kinds of strange things - he won't judge you!

Hope you get your pain sorted out!

Old 26-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
angel of despair

I am currently:

It does hurt my wrists when im straining to open them but not massively so. The pain is nothing compared to my knees iv had some days with my knees where i can't sit down because of the pain (hurts to bend them so standing is okay).

Artheritis was my first suspicion because my mum and grandma has it but the doctor says theres no sign of it. It may be vitamin D again I guess I havnt had a blood test in a while ll see what the doctor thinks.

I just didnt want him to think i was a hypochondriac or stupid or something.

Old 26-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
whirlpools

I have weak hands so can't usually open jars (or milk bottle caps often). This isn't associated with any pain for me though.

It definitely doesn't sound silly, especially since you've had medical problems. On a practical note, do you puncture jar lids with a sharp knife? I seem to find them easier to open if the top of the lid is punctured.

PS my knowledge on these things is extremely limited but could you have rheumatoid arthritis rather than osteoarthritis? The former, I believe, is an autoimmune related condition and can cause a lot of painand weakness.

Old 27-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Pi.R^2
Pathologically flamboyant

I am currently:

Hi B,

I've moved this thread to the first aid board, as it is specifically relating to a medical problem :)

I agree with the others- this is definitely not a silly question and would be worth seeing your GP about, particularly since you have lots of pain, and it sounds like the opening jars issue might have gotten worse a year ago, if I've understood you correctly.

No other sadness in the world would do

Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
squiggles

I am currently:

Another hint for opening jars is to bash them on the sideboard / table 3 times before trying to open them. Bashing them causes the pressure keeping them shut to reduce and makes it easier. My Grandma who had arthritis was told this, it works pretty well especially on jam jars.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Aardbei
Forum Mod

I am currently:

I am closing this thread due to the age.

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)