RYL Forums

Forum Jump
Post New Thread  Reply
Old 10-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
metalh3adalways

Treated like crap at work

I don't know where else to begin. I'm 22 and a supervisor at my place of work. It's not so much a dead-end job, but its not super promising either. I honestly love what I do, I like working in customer service and in a position where I need to be outgoing, friendly and delegate to a specific group of people. But I'll cut to the chase. Management sucks. I won't divulge too much about the company but its a somewhat big regional chain. My managers, some hardworking, most just assholes, are always breathing down my neck. And I can handle it for the most part.

I understand its part of the workplace sometimes; dealing with difficult people. But I'm at the point now where I dread every day of going in there. They cut hours, want me to do the job of more and more people, they give me less and less people and are trying to spread us thinner and thinner and when the work doesn't get done it's all our fault (I'm sorry, MY fault.)

I'm the department lead and I feel like my hands are tied. I'm starting to doubt my own skills as a leader and supervisor. Do I want this job for the rest of my life? No, but I want to do the best I can while I'm here. I take pride in my work and regardless of the validity of my position or the level of "stature" means little to me. I was raised to do any job well or not at all. Lately I just feel like I upset people. I'm hourly, they tell us not to go over on hours, so I leave when I'm supposed to regardless of the work load. I just feel like I'm being set up for failure....that's what it all comes down to. Everyone barking orders at me but none of it will get done because on top of ALLLL the extra work...I'm expected to help customers (which is 95% of my day.... CUSTOMER SERVICE.) And it's like...what's the priority here, the customers or the extra stuff that needs done here?

Someone give me some type of guidance here. I could go on for hours but i'll spare you the novel... lol... I feel trapped, taken advantage of, treated unfairly and miserable. I would quit but I hesitate since it pays somewhat decently and I have bills like everyone else. I just hate going in to condescending managers that seem to only get joy out of telling me I suck (not verbatim, but you see what I mean.) What should I do, how do I calm my anxiety here? I know life can be a bitch sometimes, but I'd like some light on my day.

metalh3adalways is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Hugs Given By :
Old 16-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
SugarWhite

While you seem like you want to try sticking with the job for awhile, just remember that it's not a job you want to stay with forever. Think of it as training for something better that you'll want to do later. Every job seems to have extra crap that they pile on you that isn't actually what they hired you to do. This will help train you towards balancing that kind of thing.
You can also ask your managers if there is a time you can sit down and speak to them. You can frame it to them as if you asking for advice in how to improve your performance. Tell them you need real solid advice in how to balance the workload within the hours you are allowed to work.
At the end of the day, I would be looking for another job just in case this one becomes just too much. Don't let it turn your stomach into knots.

SugarWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Isoverity

I am currently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalh3adalways View Post

I just feel like I'm being set up for failure....that's what it all comes down to. Everyone barking orders at me but none of it will get done because on top of ALLLL the extra work...I'm expected to help customers (which is 95% of my day.... CUSTOMER SERVICE.) And it's like...what's the priority here, the customers or the extra stuff that needs done here?

Someone give me some type of guidance here. I could go on for hours but i'll spare you the novel... lol... I feel trapped, taken advantage of, treated unfairly and miserable. I would quit but I hesitate since it pays somewhat decently and I have bills like everyone else. I just hate going in to condescending managers that seem to only get joy out of telling me I suck (not verbatim, but you see what I mean.) What should I do, how do I calm my anxiety here? I know life can be a bitch sometimes, but I'd like some light on my day.

It sounds like you're the kind of employee your outfit would be glad to have. It also sounds like your managers are toxic and like to offload on you. It does sound like you get set-up to fail and that's not unusual. Some managers might even fear you since you could be better at their job than they are. Some managers you can talk to about how you feel and others can use it against you. That's a judgment call.

Middle and lower management is always the hardest because the top and bottom dump on you. Managers who got stuck on the way up can hate life and take it out on people.

It sounds like you should save money and look for a better spot if you cant transfer or leapfrog. Don't resent the situation because that makes things worse since toxic people know they are getting yo you that way. If you see people are jerks stay objective to them without letting them get under your skin too much they sense that and fear it. Its like they have a hot potato to throw but you wont catch it.

Upper managers tend to be (I find) better people as well as more competent. If you know one or see an opening higher up in the business you might be able to make inquiries about a better situation. It shows you want to do good work and like the company and the smart managers don't like to lose that.

"Not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien

Isoverity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
panzerlang
Panzer Lang

Start looking for a replacement job dude and while that's happening stick this one out.

panzerlang is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Members Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)